Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Well I ahve created the following videos trying to explain to the Support staff at Cyberlink the issues with Motion Paths having a Curved or Circular path. It has been to no avail yet in getting a reasonable correct answer. They have done nothing but SPIN the topic, they must be in Washington D.C..

from the Support reply as follows:
"According to the user guide of PowerDirector 10:

Rotation: enter in the preferred orientation in degrees for media clips at different moments (keyframes) in your video production."

My response back"
Actually, the manual refers to this in the Text editing area, see Step 7. Use the sliders to rotate the 3D text to generate your preferred orientation. Overlap the text and the PiP object, and then click Save." on page 54 of Chapter 1, Quick Start Tips.

No where else in the PD10 manuals does it say anything about 'preferred orientation'. Also please note in the video, PD10 does display both negative and decimals numbers in the Rotation value area under the Clip Attributes functions.

Here is the web page link for the video.
http://youtu.be/2k73E_QmWwg

They then responded back:
Thanks for writing back.

I understand your concern related with CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra upgrade and you are facing an issue with the Keyframe settings under rotation.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that the link for the video that you sent me helped me a lot in rectifying the issue and hence, I got the solution. Please follow the instructions and look at the attachment.

1. Launch PowerDirector 10.

2. Import the Blue Circle and drag it down to the timeline.

3. Double click on the blue circle from the timeline and it will open a PiP Designer window.

4. In PiP Designer window, click on the second option from the left hand side buttons which says "Add/Edit motion for the PiP effect".

5. Select the "Circle" from the path and if you look down, you also have another settings i.e. "Rotation Settings".

6. In Rotation settings, you need to click on button which says "Set to zero degrees" and now click on Save.

You can look at the attachment where you can find these settings and hence, you will get the Rotation as -0.6 automatically in Keyframe>>Clip Attributes>>Rotation.

I responded back:
To Support:
You all are still missing the main issues of the trouble report as shown above. I keep getting answers that evade the QUESTIONS PRESENTED ABOVE AND NOW BELOW.

I have been trying to get the Support Staff at Cyberlink to understand the issues we are having with the PowerDirector 10 version when it comes to the Motion Paths as a curve or circular in movement. When selecting Keyframes, after using the PiP Designer to choose a Motion Path, if adding or removing Keyframes, or changing the Opacity levels, or changing the H scale or the W scale the programs WILL DISTORT the Motion Path from it's original path.

However, if the Motion Path is in a straight line, then the adding or removing Keyframes, or changing the Opacity levels, or changing the H scale or the W scale WILL NO EFFECT the Motion Path from it's original path. The straight line can be angled, box shape, vertical or horizontal in it's Motion Path.

This video is for the support staff at Cyberlink to fink their problems with PowerDirector 10.
url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdYR_tDefI[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k73E_QmWwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbhxexQYIqw
[
Well, I found another with the Keyframes setting under the Clip Attributes in the Rotation entry. Notice in the example below is the 8 frames results of a circular motion created in PIP Designer, no need to use all of the frames to get the point across to CL PD10 designers and us as well.
Here is what I found, the Rotation at the beginning frame has -0.6 Rotation, that is OK, but what is NOT OK, IS IF ONE CHANGES THIS TO ANY DECIMAL NUMBER, LIKE 0.534, IT WILL CHANGE TO 534 NOT .534 .
The Center Position for both X and Y are OK with changing their numbers.

So this leads me to believe that the KEYFRAME issue lies here in PD10 inability to recognize an entry less than whole numbers, like 4, 10, 189 and etc. If one enters 0.870 the results will be 870. This totally screws up the Motion Path. What do you think? Can this some how reach the people that needs this information?

Center Center
Position Position
Frame Rotation X Y

00:00:00;00 -0.6 0.230 0.497
00:00:00;01 0.0 0.231 0.493
00:00:00;02 0.5 0.231 0.489
00:00:00;03 1.0 0.232 0.485
00:00:00;04 1.6 0.232 0.481
00:00:00;05 2.1 0.233 0.477
00:00:00;06 2.6 0.233 0.473
00:00:00;07 3.2 0.234 0.469
00:00:00;08 3.7 0.234 0.465

Bill
Typo Error in the above message:

Had a Brain Storm, better than the other word, I just checked all of the WMV I had created for the Motion and Circular Paths issues using the Windows Media Player and all of my DISTORTED CIRCLES ARE NOT CORRECT IN SHAPE WHEN VIEWING THE CLIP.....

It should have read:

Had a Brain Storm, better than the other word, I just checked all of the WMV I had created for the Motion and Circular Paths issues using the Windows Media Player and all of my CIRCLES ARE NOW CORRECT IN SHAPE WHEN VIEWING THE CLIP.....

Bill
Hi everyone,

Just a note, while using CLPD9, I Produced the clip as a WMV file, the circle gets distorted.
Then when Produced the clip as a MPEG-2 file, the circle keeps it original shape.
Did change the Opacity Levels, for fun. within the Keyframe settings still maintained a circular motion as set in PIP Designer. The results for the WMV and MPEG-2 were the same - No Change in the circular Motion Path.

Then switched to CLPD10, I Produced the clip as a WMV file, the circle gets distorted.
Then when Produced the clip as a MPEG-2 file, the circle keeps it original shape.
Did not mess with the Keyframe - Opacity Levels, as I already know the outcome there.

I am using VLC Media Player to view the two files that are attached.

Had a Brain Storm, better than the other word, I just checked all of the WMV I had created for the Motion and Circular Paths issues using the Windows Media Player and all of my DISTORTED CIRCLES ARE NOT CORRECT IN SHAPE WHEN VIEWING THE CLIP.....

So, it looks as another issue has bitten the dust by the Video Busters on this forum, just don't use VLC Media Player when viewing WMV files. No need to attach any files.

Thanks Again,
Bill
Sorry Guys,

I had read over or did not catch that word while reading the word "OPACITY". Yes, I did duplicate this in both the NTSC (30 frame) and PAL (25 frame) settings.

When in the Keyframe Setting - Clip Attributes and one changes the OPACITY level at any point other than the starting point of the circular motion path, one will get a really weird motion path. If one even adds a Keyframe, still same results.

Yes, Cyberlink PowerDirector programers really need to fix this issue.

I am off of this topic, now waiting on CLPD for fix and update.

Bill
Good Morn All,

Must have jumped the gun and did not completely understand what Mark's issue was really all about, but I was able to obtain the same results but in a different way.

After I first read Mark's issue, downloaded his PDS file and red ball file. As I played the file in PD10 I did see how the circle appeared to be elliptical in shape and rotated in a circular motion as it traveled through the motion path.

I then added by blue circle and played the same file. The results were, the red circle still had an elliptical shape and the blue circle retained it's shape.

Then I saved this video as a WMV file, played the through VLC Media Player, and sure enough my bkue circle had changed shapes as well.

In the attached WMV file I have added a two smaller true circle, a green circle and the original blue circle that was used to show how PD10 is squeezing the circles into an elliptical shape when being saved as a WMV file. I took the WMV file, added the smaller circles and created another wmv through another video editing program for you all to actually see the what is really happening.
The attached WMV file was Rendered/Produce in the following settings:
6.7Mbps HD 1080-25 Video.
Use this setting for high-quality HD video playback on a 3.0 GHz computer or better.
Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA
Video: 25 fps, 1440x1080 Progressive, WMV, 7 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.333

I know when working with just the smaller blue and green circles in the attached video, I made 47 keyframes for the motion path to be as close to a true circle as I needed for the amount of time spent placing and making, oh forgot, reviewing 42 times before being satisfied with the motion path's circle. Like I stated earlier I used a different program for making the smaller circles.

Maybe I am missing something as well, like a brain

But I will go back and look at Mark's issue with another viewpoint "as Mark mentioned, his issue is the motion path changing when using the keyframes settings (as opposed to PiP Designer)" and see what happening there.

Also another idea has just popped into this brain. How about I used Camtasia and make a video of my monitor in real time for one to see what I am seeing? It could be just me eyesight is fading. hahaha Please, let me know.

Bill

Mark,

Was just curious about the shape and rotation of the red circle. I have noticed the red circle is an elliptical shape, not a true circle, this could have been one cause associated to shape changing.

Another thought just occurred to me, did you apply any rotation of the image itself?

Please look at these short videos I made concerning your issues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAgrR8dxkRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKRN0VIw3I

And this last link I made using Sony Vegas and I used your red circle and my green and blue circle to show how they should have rotated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRowv0Tl7o

Bill
Just to be clear, I, at my own discretion removed the videos from YouTube, The moderator has not and did not contacted me and and ask for the videos to be removed. I will repost them to YouTube, but will not supply a link within this forum.

Again, Thanks to all for their knowledge, inputs and I must say, their constructive criticisms. I mean this in a positive way.

God Bless,
Bill
The video "Creating Keyframes in Cyberlink PowerDirector" was removed, please disregard any information that I posted in this particular topic.

Apparently I have offended videographers using this forum and I am sorry to have offended those who have read the above post and got upset, it won't happen again, I can assure you of that. As soon as I can find out how to have my post removed, I will. If you know how, then please, let me know.

Yes, one can do certain actions in one area and more detailed actions in another area, each person has their own requirements when producing a video. Some may want to just do it quickly and they stay away from the Keyframe Settings and are mostly in the Modify & PIP Settings. However there comes a time when one needs to narrow down and be more precise of placement at a certain keyframe. I am not referring to creating shadows, motion paths and etc within the Keyframes Setting area.

Yes, I do know one cannot do the following:
- Add a Shadow to your object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Add a Border to your object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Add a curved motion path to you object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Etc, etc, etc. within the Keyframe Settings
Because the Effects Setting is not available for use within the Keyframe Settings area.

Yes, the PIP Designer has more, greater, better and easier to use features than in the Keyframe Settings. And Yes again, the PIP Designer's timeline should be able to ZOOM IN / OUT area on the timeline as there is in the Tracks and in Keyframe Settings. As to why it is not there, I do not know, why the programmers have not responded to people's request, I do not know.

The Keyframe Settings has only the following functions:
* Fix / Enhance Settings
* Effect Settings ( Does not work within the Keyframe Settings, so why is it even there?) at least I could not get it work.
* Clip Attributes Settings
The use of the Keyframe button is to customize the effect’s settings at a particular time in the timeline frame/s. The key words here are TIME and FRAME.

Just trying to help others,
Bill
Maybe all of the issues should be under "The UnconcernTeam" rather than Power Director? I will cast my vote on for that, that way we know no one will answer our questions and concerns.

Bill
The video was removed, please disregard any information that I posted at the beginning of this particular topic. I am sorry to have offended some, it won't happen again, I can assure you of that.

Keep trying to help others,
Bill
I downloaded the ball (1).png file and pds file and loaded them in the PD10. I then added true circle and found that the ball (1) png is oblong and not a true circle. I used two blue circle, one changed the opacity level and size then aligned it to follow the red circle. The other blue circle had no made changes to it, except that I had it to lead the other circles in the motion path.

When playing the motion effect the red circle is oblong in shape and the two blue circles are a true circle in shape. However once the file was produced as a WMV file, all three circles have an oblong effect when viewing the WMV file.

Went back a produced it as a MPEG-2 file, this time the red circle was still oblong due to it starting out as oblong, but the two blue circles remained as a true circle.

So I would say that making a WMV file is the issue. Maybe this will be of some help for the programmers.

Hope this helps everyone.
Bill
Someone stated, But I find the process modifying in the Keyframes window to be very clumsy, compared to PIP Designer.

However, I found while using theoptions within the Keyframe settings area, I was able to do more than I could in the PIP Designer, with greater accuracy in placement of Keyframes in the Timeline, the positioning of the picture, which now will brings us to the H Scale, W Scale, Rotation, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right functions found both the PIP Designer and the Keyframe-Clip Attributes areas.

I started off reading the PD10 manual about Keyframes and searching for articles on the H Scale and W Scale functions and how to use them. So what are Clip Attributes, add/remove a Keyframe, the Opacity, H scale, W Scale, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right. I made a tutorial, which I will try to explain these functions and how they are then tied into Keyframes as well. Please see the Youtube video and please excuse my voice for I have a cold.

The Keyframe settings allows one to have more of a precise positioning setting environment where as in the PIP Designer allows one to a general positioning area. It just depends on the user and their requirements Keyframes settings tab also offers Color Adjustments, such as the Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness, Color Temperature and White Balance, just as one would in the Fix/Enhance setting tab.

So now you know, each to their own way of doing things, but then be willing to let others know how you accomplished it as well.

Enjoy and help others learn CLPD.

Here is the tutorial from YouTube I made:

Cranston and Tony,

You two guys have caused me to dig deeper into KeyFrames and I possibly have found Cranston's issue as he stated earlier: "Once the process has been started, you can close PIP Designer, highlight this segment in the timeline, and then click on the Keyframe button, then stretch out the Keyframe settings window. But I find the process modifying in the Keyframes window to be very clumsy, compared to PIP Designer." I found while using the Keyframe settings area, I was able to do more than I did in the PIP Designer, with greater accuracy in placement of Keyframes in the Timeline, the positioning of the picture, which now will brings us to the H Scale, W Scale, Rotation, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right functions found both the PIP Designer and the Keyframe-Clip Attributes areas.

I started off reading the PD10 manual about Keyframes and searching for articles on the H Scale and W Scale functions and how to use them. So what are Clip Attributes, add/remove a Keyframe, the Opacity, H scale, W Scale, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right. I made a tutorial, which I will try to explain these functions and how they are then tied into Keyframes as well. Please see the Youtube video and please excuse my voice for I have a cold.

The Keyframe settings allows one to have more of a precise positioning setting environment where as in the PIP Designer allows one to a general positioning area. It just depends on the user and their requirements Keyframes settings tab also offers Color Adjustments, such as the Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness, Color Temperature and White Balance, just as one would in the Fix/Enhance setting tab.

So now you know, each to their own way of doing things, but then be willing to let others know hoe you accomplished it as well.

Enjoy and help others learn CLPD.
Bill
[youtube]
Well, after reading both replies, I went back to the "drawing board". I started PD10 back up and made a video as shown here:

I did glean from making this in how to use the Timelines in the different windows which are available in PD10.
* The Track Timeline - then zoom in for more precise placement of keyframes
* The "Keyframe" tab located above the tracks, then on the left window pane, click on the "Clip Attributes". Located in the "Clip Attributes" is an icon shaped as a Keyframe, by clicking on this icon a keyframe can be added or removed. There is a Timeline show in the window display just to the right of the "Clip Attributes" display. The only way to zoom in or out is to place the cursor on the Timeline at the top. After placing the cursor there, left click and hold, then drag the cursor to the left to zoom out and to the right to zoom in.
* The PIP Designer after clicking "Modify" above the tracks. - cannot zoom in here as one can above in the other two scenarios, what a shame.

Still working on other features in the Clip Attributes window and their use, like the H & W Scales and the Freeforms. The PD10 manual does not mention or should I say, I could not find any mentioning of the H & W Scale. If you know please let me know what page it is on.

Still Learning,
Bill
I would like to be able to see a closer or zoom in on the frames when adding a keyframe, is there a way to display the frames like in a Timeline fashion? I just want to "zoom in" more on the frames and easily place the keyframe. For an example, when one wants a on-off flashing to be done, then seeing the spacing is critical to me. Sometime the light is "on" more and then "off" more..

Look at the following web page , this what I created and was trying to do with a scoreboard light to flash on and off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Bill
I was referring to the Matrix Effect in the video tutorial on the the following YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLPUMz75v4
"How To Make The Matrix Effect - Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection"

I don't want the effect to look like the movie named The Matrix.

I just want the image in the video to have a slight offset, in frames, from one movie clip to the other two movie clips. According to the above mentioned tutorial, the 2nd video clip starts 3 frames after the 1st video on the timeline, then the 3rd video starts 6 frames after the 1st video clip. This give the image a shadow following type of effect. Hope this makes sense to someone, if not then please try and watch the tutorial mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Bill
Go to: