Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I agree, format factory has a nice interface and is easy to use.The only thing missing is a freely selectable output codec( the last time I checked anyway).
Well one of the reasons that Editstudio is different from most other editing programs is because the original authors were into video editing themselves and were actually using their own program. And they implemented features based on what the users wanted. The original author is a company called puremotion, a year or so ago they sold ES to mediachance but unfortunately development has ceased it seems.
Yes i know most people prefer a trim window. However let's say the trim function is added to the main preview window. Then you could either do the trimming in the preview/trim window (no need to open a new window) or move the cursor to the desired inpoint on the timeline and press [.

And if time is of the essence depends who or what you are editing for really. You can take all the time on the world for your baby video and on some projects as well but on other projects time is money.
Ha funny you mention moving items from video track to PIP track, this was actually one of the first things i tried to do in PD. But it's things like this that i find weird. Programmers keep adding features but seem to forget about basic functions that seem logical and useful to many people.
Not exactly, let me try to make it clear:

we take 1 song of let's say 3 minutes as an example.

master clip is 3 minutes. It is recorded with 1 camera but not with a fixed position. move a bit to the left , move a bit closer/ further away etc. So let's say 40 seconds of these 3 minutes is 'bad' footage(moving the camera, getting into position etc.) However I want to use the full 3 minute audio(this wasn't clear in my example i think). And I want audio and video to stay in sync throughout. So i move the video to the PIP layer and then fill the gaps with insert shots.

Cutting out the bad parts on the video layer isn't an option because i would lose sync and/or audio parts.

So that's why i came up with this solution but i figure this is something anyone making videos would come across. If ripple editing could be disabled on the video layer(allowing empty space) all the extra steps would not be needed btw.

You can see a practical example here, this was recorded with 1 camera:

http://www.markelbers.nl/welkom/koninginnedag-2008-2

And a 2 camera example but workflow would be similar

http://www.markelbers.nl/welkom/crazy-little-thing-called-love
Quote: Hi TwiLite,

OK, but let’s say that you make your IN & OUT edits (as you described above), to the “2nd clip” in your timeline. And then, upon review, you find that the your IN point in this “2nd clip" was set a bit too late, and that it should have started 5 seconds earlier. How do you accomplish this (without Trim) using your method?

In ES this would be easy as it has a multiple track timeline and a keyboard shortcut to change the duration of the video left or right(moving the in and outpoint would be a better description) Changing the in and out point is non destructive, you can always change the duration back to the original value. Think of it as a keyboard shortcut for manually moving the left or right hand side of a clip on the timeline in PD. Many people who we have shown this feature in Editstudio found it to be very logical.

This would/could also work on a single track timeline.

UPDATE: I just had a look at the trim window again, I think the extra functions of the trim window could easily be added to the main preview window , then there is no need for a seperate trim window.

PS if you or anyone else wants to see this action get the ES trial at
http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html
It works best using DV footage.
After 2 days of trying out PD it still looks promising. The workflow is different than most other programs but there is some logic to it. One thing I notice in many programs nowadays is that they have many great features but the editing options are limited(1 track timeline, lack of keyboard shortcuts etc.).

For example using video inserts is a very basic editing task I think. We've probably all been there, you film a performance of a singer with 1 camera and change camera positions throughout the performance. After the performance you go around filming inserts of the venue, the audience, close ups of instruments etc.

When editing you put the master recording of the performance on your main video layer and cut out the bad parts and after that fill the gaps with the insert shots. Sounds easy and it usually is easy and straightforward.

However unless I missed something in PD this isn't very straightforward at all. Cutting out the bad parts in the main track is a problem as there can not be empty space on the video layer. I came up with this solution but I wonder how others do this.

1 Put the main recording on the video layer
2 split the audio
3 delete the main recording from the video layer
4 insert main recording on PIP layer
5 insert color board on video layer
6 stretch color board to main recording length
7 start cutting out the bad parts in the main recording using CTRL+T (why is there no multi trim on the PIP layer?)
8 fill the gaps on the PIP layer with insert shots

Now all that's left to do is resize all the PIP items but i found a workaround for that(see my previous post)
Yes (fortunately) everybody has their own workflow. However i still feel the extra trim window is unnecessary. The extra info you mentioned could also be displayed in the main preview window. In Editstudio it works pretty much like this:

Scrub through the timeline, go to yr desired inpoint, press [ go to outpoint press ] etc. No need to ever leave the timeline window. So here you basically have all the trim window functions directly on the timeline. It is also frame accurate(in PD also i think) as you can move ahead or back using the keyboard.

The same operation in PD is like this:

Double click the clip, wait for the trim window to open, scrub to the inpoint, press [, scrub to the outpoint press ], close the trim window, go to the next clip, wait for the trim window to open etc.

The above example is with several short clips. When using multi trim on a large clip it works quicker. However most(if not all) SD based cameras nowadays use shorts clips and not one long clip.
Quote: This has been mentioned although buried deep in the forum :

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6441.page#25510

Ah yes that's pretty much the same thing. I did some back reading after joining the forum but didn't go that far back. Let's hope PD8 will improve the PIP editing feature(and directly changing in and out point on the timeline! That would be so great).
Depending on the flash video player the CMS uses you may be able to use mp4 files renamed to flv. From version 9.something flash supports decoding of mp4 video files.
Quote: No only in the Trim/MultiTrim windows.

Cheers
Adrian

Ah too bad, it would be much faster if the [ and ] would also work directly on the timeline, someone suggest this to Cyberlink please! The trimmer window would not even be needed then.

BTW i got it working here as well now, there was something wrong with the installed keymap.
Quote: Thanks for sharing Twilite -

It makes me feel quite smart being in the company of clever people! Good for you.

If I send you my "code" in plain text, could you please alter it for me to make me indestructible at online scrabble?

Cheers -

Tony

This should be a great help in online scrabble

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adam.bozon/scrabblelists.htm

Quote: Hi TwiLite,

Seems to work OK for me in Trim and Multi Trim windows.

I run XP Home 2002 SP3 and for "technical" reasons I'm running PD7Ultra .2519

Cheers
Adrian

Hmm that's weird, doesn't seem to work anywhere for me. Does it also work directly from the timeline for you? Move the cursor to the desired in-point and press [. This is a function i used all the time in Editstudio(i still feel editing directly on the timeline is quicker than any trimming window) and I would love a similar function in PD.
As i posted previously, i noticed it is not possible to resize the PIP size numerically, it seems to a bit hit & miss. Also it is not possible to resize many files at once. As i work with lots of video inserts usually this was an essential feature for me. I had a look at the project file format and found it is a plain text format. After having a good look i came up with this solution:

The original

The important parts here are Width="0.400000" Height="0.400000

I then did a search and replace in a text editor and changed the values to Width="1.000000" Height="1.000000 and opened the changed file in PD. And as expected all PIP tracks were now full size. This is a huge timesaver for us and maybe for others as well so i decided to share this. In my opinion a function to display the PIP item at original size should be present in the interface, not everybody wants to edit projectfiles.

Please note that probably all overlay items will change to 100% size, also graphic inserts you may have scaled down.
This got a bit lost in my previous post I guess so I will dedicate a post to it. The helpfile mentions the [ and ] keys can be used to set in and out points. However this doesn't seem to work(I tried in pretty much any window). Is this a bug or am i missing something?

CTRL+T (split)works fine on the timeline but then I have to delete the unwanted part manually.
We are currently looking for a video editing program to replace Editstudio. While editstudio is a great program for editing DV footage it is not very well suited to edit H264 material. After trying several program PD seems to be the best choice as it handles the H264 files from our camera very well. However some question and suggestions:

- We are used to editing directly on the timeline, I think this should be possible in PD as well but for some reason i can't get it to work. In ES you move the cursor to the desired in-point, press [ and the clip's in-point changes to the selected point(all clip footage left of the cursor is deleted). This keyboard shortcut is also mentioned in the PD helpfile but that doesn't seem to do anything. CTRL+T which is also mentioned does work but this needs an extra step(CTRL+T to split, then delete the unwanted part)

- I think it would be very useful if it was possible to move items from the video layer to a PIP layer

- Similar to the locate on timeline function i think it would be useful to add a locate in library to the right click menu on the timeline

- Personally I would love a traditional timeline with 2 or more video layers as I feel this is more logical(and easier to overlap video items and crossfade the audio. However many programs nowadays seem to use the 1 video layer approach
- Maybe i missed something but I'm having a hard time resizing PIP items. In most projects we do we have 1 master clip and many other short clips we use as inserts. I can use the PIP layer for the inserts but it seems I have to manually resize all items individually. A setting "Always start PIP with original size" would be very very useful, essential even in my opinion. Also there's no pixel indication in the PIP editor so you are never really sure if you resize to the correct framesize.

- More and customizable keyboard shortcuts would help everybody i guess

- On my 1920x 1200 screen the layout is less than ideal. I can't seem to change the height of the timeline so the library is taking up a huge part of the screen.

- One option PD will probably never implement is a feature unique(I think so anyway) to ES, it has an option to use generic layers, which means you can put anything(image, video, transition, audio etc.) on any layer

Rendering is fast already without CUDA on our quadcore system, should be much faster after we install a CUDA compatible card.

I will probably run into more things as i do more testing but these were things i noticed after initial testing. Another thing, I tried PD under windows 7. With the default drivers for the geforce card everything was fine, with the most recent NVIDIA drivers i got crashes every 10 minutes or so.
Go to: