Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD looks promising but it could be better even
TwiLite [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2009 11:03 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
We are currently looking for a video editing program to replace Editstudio. While editstudio is a great program for editing DV footage it is not very well suited to edit H264 material. After trying several program PD seems to be the best choice as it handles the H264 files from our camera very well. However some question and suggestions:

- We are used to editing directly on the timeline, I think this should be possible in PD as well but for some reason i can't get it to work. In ES you move the cursor to the desired in-point, press [ and the clip's in-point changes to the selected point(all clip footage left of the cursor is deleted). This keyboard shortcut is also mentioned in the PD helpfile but that doesn't seem to do anything. CTRL+T which is also mentioned does work but this needs an extra step(CTRL+T to split, then delete the unwanted part)

- I think it would be very useful if it was possible to move items from the video layer to a PIP layer

- Similar to the locate on timeline function i think it would be useful to add a locate in library to the right click menu on the timeline

- Personally I would love a traditional timeline with 2 or more video layers as I feel this is more logical(and easier to overlap video items and crossfade the audio. However many programs nowadays seem to use the 1 video layer approach
- Maybe i missed something but I'm having a hard time resizing PIP items. In most projects we do we have 1 master clip and many other short clips we use as inserts. I can use the PIP layer for the inserts but it seems I have to manually resize all items individually. A setting "Always start PIP with original size" would be very very useful, essential even in my opinion. Also there's no pixel indication in the PIP editor so you are never really sure if you resize to the correct framesize.

- More and customizable keyboard shortcuts would help everybody i guess

- On my 1920x 1200 screen the layout is less than ideal. I can't seem to change the height of the timeline so the library is taking up a huge part of the screen.

- One option PD will probably never implement is a feature unique(I think so anyway) to ES, it has an option to use generic layers, which means you can put anything(image, video, transition, audio etc.) on any layer

Rendering is fast already without CUDA on our quadcore system, should be much faster after we install a CUDA compatible card.

I will probably run into more things as i do more testing but these were things i noticed after initial testing. Another thing, I tried PD under windows 7. With the default drivers for the geforce card everything was fine, with the most recent NVIDIA drivers i got crashes every 10 minutes or so.