Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
In and out point using keyboard?
TwiLite [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2009 11:03 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
This got a bit lost in my previous post I guess so I will dedicate a post to it. The helpfile mentions the [ and ] keys can be used to set in and out points. However this doesn't seem to work(I tried in pretty much any window). Is this a bug or am i missing something?

CTRL+T (split)works fine on the timeline but then I have to delete the unwanted part manually. Current projects: www.doornakkers.tv , www.markelbers.nl and www.onsnet.tv (all in Dutch)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TwiLite,

Seems to work OK for me in Trim and Multi Trim windows.

I run XP Home 2002 SP3 and for "technical" reasons I'm running PD7Ultra .2519

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2009 11:39

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
TwiLite [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi TwiLite,

Seems to work OK for me in Trim and Multi Trim windows.

I run XP Home 2002 SP3 and for "technical" reasons I'm running PD7Ultra .2519

Cheers
Adrian

Hmm that's weird, doesn't seem to work anywhere for me. Does it also work directly from the timeline for you? Move the cursor to the desired in-point and press [. This is a function i used all the time in Editstudio(i still feel editing directly on the timeline is quicker than any trimming window) and I would love a similar function in PD.
Current projects: www.doornakkers.tv , www.markelbers.nl and www.onsnet.tv (all in Dutch)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
No only in the Trim/MultiTrim windows.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
TwiLite [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: No only in the Trim/MultiTrim windows.

Cheers
Adrian

Ah too bad, it would be much faster if the [ and ] would also work directly on the timeline, someone suggest this to Cyberlink please! The trimmer window would not even be needed then.

BTW i got it working here as well now, there was something wrong with the installed keymap. Current projects: www.doornakkers.tv , www.markelbers.nl and www.onsnet.tv (all in Dutch)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TwiLite and Everyone,

One of the great things about this forum, is seeing how we all have different approaches to our work flow and the way we edit in PD7.
TwiLite wrote:
…does it also work directly from the timeline for you?
Move the cursor to the desired in-point and press [. This is a function i used all the time in Editstudio(i still feel editing directly on the timeline is quicker than any trimming window)
…CTRL+T (split)works fine on the timeline but then I have to delete the unwanted part manually.
…it would be much faster if the [ and ] would also work directly on the timeline
…The trimmer window would not even be needed then.
But, (in addition to other reasons, like zoom and the clock), that’s the beauty of the Trim window. By using it, you don’t have to manually delete the unwanted portion of a (simple) Split.
I couldn’t function without the Trim window. The Split feature is fine for non-precise edits. But for me, I find that using Trim is essential for quick re-do’s, and to able to more precisely accomplish what I envision.
Still, there’s no wrong way or right way. It’s all a matter of what works best for the individual. And that’s another great thing about this forum, as it exposes us all to new ideas and options.
...someone suggest this to Cyberlink please!
TwiLite,
Here’s a link to where you can make suggested improvements to directly to Cyberlink.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3980.page

Happy editing everyone!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
TwiLite [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes (fortunately) everybody has their own workflow. However i still feel the extra trim window is unnecessary. The extra info you mentioned could also be displayed in the main preview window. In Editstudio it works pretty much like this:

Scrub through the timeline, go to yr desired inpoint, press [ go to outpoint press ] etc. No need to ever leave the timeline window. So here you basically have all the trim window functions directly on the timeline. It is also frame accurate(in PD also i think) as you can move ahead or back using the keyboard.

The same operation in PD is like this:

Double click the clip, wait for the trim window to open, scrub to the inpoint, press [, scrub to the outpoint press ], close the trim window, go to the next clip, wait for the trim window to open etc.

The above example is with several short clips. When using multi trim on a large clip it works quicker. However most(if not all) SD based cameras nowadays use shorts clips and not one long clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2009 18:07

Current projects: www.doornakkers.tv , www.markelbers.nl and www.onsnet.tv (all in Dutch)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TwiLite,

OK, but let’s say that you make your IN & OUT edits (as you described above), to the “2nd clip” in your timeline. And then, upon review, you find that the your IN point in this “2nd clip" was set a bit too late, and that it should have started 5 seconds earlier. How do you accomplish this (without Trim) using your method?

TwiLite [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi TwiLite,

OK, but let’s say that you make your IN & OUT edits (as you described above), to the “2nd clip” in your timeline. And then, upon review, you find that the your IN point in this “2nd clip" was set a bit too late, and that it should have started 5 seconds earlier. How do you accomplish this (without Trim) using your method?

In ES this would be easy as it has a multiple track timeline and a keyboard shortcut to change the duration of the video left or right(moving the in and outpoint would be a better description) Changing the in and out point is non destructive, you can always change the duration back to the original value. Think of it as a keyboard shortcut for manually moving the left or right hand side of a clip on the timeline in PD. Many people who we have shown this feature in Editstudio found it to be very logical.

This would/could also work on a single track timeline.

UPDATE: I just had a look at the trim window again, I think the extra functions of the trim window could easily be added to the main preview window , then there is no need for a seperate trim window.

PS if you or anyone else wants to see this action get the ES trial at
http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html
It works best using DV footage.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2009 19:00

Cranston
[Post New]

Ah, multiple tracks! Now that changes things.
Having spent hours and hours in recording studios, I'm quite familiar with multiple tracks.
But, in PD there is only one master track, plus the PIPs. However, if one does a little pre-production, one can take greater advantage of all that a PIP "can" be.
Still, I have not found it burden at all to open a Trim window, in fact I prefer it. So please don't take it away from me Twilite, hahaha.

I’ve enjoyed our little exchange. Good luck.
Videoman73 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tampa, Florida Joined: Jul 19, 2009 21:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am sure most people will like to have a dedicated trim window, as in video editing time is not an essence and In my opinion window trimming is far more better than timeline trimming.
TwiLite [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes i know most people prefer a trim window. However let's say the trim function is added to the main preview window. Then you could either do the trimming in the preview/trim window (no need to open a new window) or move the cursor to the desired inpoint on the timeline and press [.

And if time is of the essence depends who or what you are editing for really. You can take all the time on the world for your baby video and on some projects as well but on other projects time is money.
[Thumb - powerdirectoreditwindow_forum.png]
 Filename
powerdirectoreditwindow_forum.png
[Disk]
 Description
Sample image of how the trim window could be integrated into the main preview window.
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
162 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2009 19:39

Cranston
[Post New]
Hi Twilite,

I took a look at your attached mockup. Actually, that’s not a bad idea. Not bad at all! But let’s review here.
In reading your thoughts here on this thread, I was under the impression that you were saying that the “Trim” function was an un-necessary component of PD7.
...it would be much faster if the [ and ] would also work directly on the timeline, someone suggest this to Cyberlink please! The trimmer window would not even be needed then.
But now after opening your attachment, and observing your cleverly crafted mockup, I see that you are in fact not calling for the elimination of “Trim”, but rather just incorporating “Trim” on to the Main Screen.
Well, as I said... Not bad. Not bad at all. As a matter of fact I endorse your idea.
(Wow! You got an endorsement from me. Pretty exciting stuff huh? Hahaha)

Now, your reasoning for why this would be an improvement is…
...it would be much faster
Yes it would. But then again, we are only talking about the time it takes to execute one mouse click on the “Trim” tab to open the Trim Room. Right?
And as the new PD version 8 is about to be released, I would imagine that it will probably be quite a while before Cyberlink would be willing to consider any re-designing of PD8 in order to make your suggested improvement a reality. (Especially in light of the fact that adding and tweaking other items would surely be a higher priority.)
However, having said all that, it’s not a bad idea Twilite. Not bad at all.

Nice mockup image. Well done.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 23. 2009 18:55