Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Different products, different ballgame.

The "Production" page tab and settings I reffered to are shown in the attached documentation pic. You get there with the "Produce" tab at the top of the screen. Section I details some options for producing and shows the "Hardware video encoder" feature.

Without a doubt, yours is probably not selectable with any production profile settings with the current 415 series drivers available.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

So going forward, you can't use HA in 'Produce' using the latest NVIDIA drivers; that coupled with the fact we haven't been able to use HA in 'Create Disc' for some time.

Is there any point having a half decent GPU for PD anymore?

Cheers,

Andrew

Billium W, a doubter here, please post a screen grab of any Nvidia Release 415 series drivers with the Nvidia control panel info box on top of the PD16 hardware encoding screen showing it's available as stated.

From what I know of PD GPU encoding and the current offering of 415 series drivers, I don't see how it can be functional so very curious to see your results. If truly functional, the only thought that comes to mind is maybe PD perpetual license holders are feature lagging with updates.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I had to roll back to 411.70 to get mine working again.

Andrew
Hi Moderator,

Any progress with this, or are Cyberlink going to remove hardware acceleration when creating a disc for good?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49917.page

Cheers,

Andrew
Quote Hi Moderator,

Can you confirm if the following has been fixed:http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49917.page

I'd test it myself but I have PD Live and can't apply the beta.

Andrew

From what I've seen this issue is not a universal problem, it's standalone player dependent. I've sent you a link via PM of a BD folder created with this beta that you can burn to see if the issue is corrected for you. Based on beta release notes posted, I see no reason to believe this as well as many other issues are addressed.

The folder was create with HA, GTX1070, 375.63 drivers.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the folders. I've burnt them to disc and, as expected, the bug has not been fixed.

Any comments Moderator?

Andrew
Hi Moderator,

Can you confirm if the following has been fixed:http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49917.page

I'd test it myself but I have PD Live and can't apply the beta.

Andrew
Is there any way PD Live users can apply these patches?

Cheers,

Andrew
Bug highlighted and reported to CL here not fixed:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49917.page

Andrew
I've just installed the latest patch and unfortunately, even though CL have been able to reproduce the bug, it has not been fixed.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi everyone,

Please find below details of a bug I sent to Cyberlink. This has been mentioned by several users when creating a blu-ray disc.

1. The source material is 1920x1080 50p 28mbps m2ts Sony files.

2. After editing, go to the 'Create Disc' 2D disc section. Select blu-ray -> h.264 -> 1920x1080 (24mbps) 50i -> Dolby Digital 5.1.

3. Select 'Burn in 2D' and ensure 'Enable Hardware Video Encoder' is ticked.

4. Click 'start burning'.

5. The resulting disc will play fine on a PC. However, on a BD player there will be sound but no picture.The only way to make this work is to deselct 'Enable Hardware Video Encoder'.

Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support. I understand your concern, that there is no picture while playing the burned file in PowerDirector 15.

Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that we are able to reproduce the issue in our lab and the engineer is assigned to check the issue.I suggest you to use software encoding for Blu-ray disc creating as the workaround solution.

Cyberlink are keen to hear from anyone else who has encountered this issue. If this affects you, please give details of the type of footage you are using and the required output and attach a dxdiag file. Mine is attached below.

Cheers,

Andrew
Same here!
Hi Rick,

Jeff is far wiser than me on the technical aspects. What I would say is, until I did my tests, I was under the impression that both boxes ticked was giving me the best speed.

I suspect it has a lot to do with what you are rendering to start with, what enhancements you have made, and what your output is.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi Jeff,

Very interesting indeed. My test footage had one text overlay at the start and one fade at the end. Removing those decreased the render time with GPU/GPU to 9min 53sec which takes the realtime ratio up to 4. My test footage also had 20 clips in.

Thanks for such clear and well explained data Jeff. It'd be interesting to see other peoples' results with different source footage and GPUs etc.

Andrew
Thanks Jeff.

I used 'TechPowerUp GPU-Z' to monitor my GPU alongside 'Windows Task Manager' to monitor PD15's CPU usage when completing the tests.

With both 'Enable OpenCL...' and 'Enable hardware...' ticked, CPU approx. 43% Video Engine Load approx. 35% and GPU load approx. 4%

With just 'Enable hardware...' ticked, CPU approx. 23% Video Engine Load approx. 55% and GPU load approx. 17%

Very interesting.

Andrew
I've tested render speeds with my GTX1070 GPU and, on my PC, render speeds are 5% faster with just 'Enable hardware decoding' checked as opposed to both 'Enable OpenCL...' and "Enable hardware...' ticked.

I should add that this is when converting a 40 minute 1920x1080 m2ts 28mbps 50p project to MP4 1920x1080 25p 16mbps file in 'Produce' with the 'Fast Rendering Technology: Hardware Video Encoder' ticked. It's 12min 47sec with just "Enable Hardware..' ticked and 14min 40sec with both ticked. Not a huge difference.

It may be very different with different source material on a different PC with a different GPU etc.

Andrew
Hi Jeff,

How were you able to replicate the CUDA option?

Cheers,

Andrew
Because my family own older BD players that will not play 50p blu-rays. I make 50p blu-ray for myself however.

Andrew
Quote: Another here http://forum.cyberlink.com//forum/posts/list/49306.page#259051 where a user thinks unselecting hardware encoding is the answer to the black screen BD playback, yes it's a workaround. But why have the card then? Yes, this behavior is also GPU driver version dependent, but should it be if PD CL Dev is working with Nvidia? Many workarounds common knowledge for those editors that have put in the effort to understand how it affects their productions.

Jeff

I'm the user Jeff mentioned here and I couldn't agree more with what he said. PD CL Dev should be working alongside NVIDIA and AMD to ensure PD makes the most of each companies GPUs.

Speaking personally, I shoot in 1920x1080 28mbps 50p using m2ts files. I can use my GPU to render my productions into MP4 1920x1080 16mbps files to stream on my Apple TV but I cannot use my GPU (even though the option is available) when creating a 1920x1080 h.264 24mbps 50i blu-ray as it will not play on my BD player. It will only work if I turn the HA option off prior to burning.

It's very frustrating.

Andrew
Hi,

I've found with my PC that if I burn a Blu-ray and select 'Hardware Acceleration' in the 'Create Disc' module prior to burning, the resulting BD will load the menu but when playback is attempted there is only audio (on my Blu-ray player). It plays fine on the PC!!

The fix is to deselect Hardware Acceleration and it will work.

Andrew
Which is why I included a PD test I'd done - the link I included for GPU benchmarks was for information only.

Andrew
No problem! This is worth a look:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

It appears from this and from other reviews I've read that the GTX1070 outperforms the GTX980Ti along with the TitanX. The GTX900 series prices are dropping. A look on Amazon UK suggests that, looking at the MSI Twin Frozr Gaming Models:

GTX1080 £629
GTX1070 £429
GTX980Ti £433 (down from £565 2 weeks ago)
GTX980 £344 (down from £429 2 weeks ago)

Cheers,

Andrew
Go to: