Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware Video Encoder option - so finicky
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Spent an hour trying to figure out why "enable hardware video encoder" could not be selected from the produce menu. Ended up rolling back my Nvidia driver to last months version and bingo, everything worked. I guess best-practice would be to test Powerdirector right after I do a driver update. Others run into this issue?
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77357.page

PD16 is the same...Up to Geforce 411.70 all is okay, but with Geforce Driver 416.16 there is no more Hardware Encoding with Pascal GPU's anymore. Don't know with other Geforce GPU's.
Billium W [Avatar]
Newbie Location: USA Joined: Aug 28, 2018 01:05 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I updated the Nvidia driver to 416.16 just now and launched Powerdirector 16 and I still have hardware encoding available.
If it matters my GPU is an Asus 1070 Ti.
UPDATE: PD 17 works with hardware acceleration with Nvidia driver 416.16 on my computer. Also PD 17 has Optimization feature to optomize GPU hardware acceleration based on the GPU capabilities.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2018 11:05

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi
I updated the Nvidia driver to 416.16 just now and launched Powerdirector 16 and I still have hardware encoding available.
If it matters my GPU is an Asus 1070 Ti.
UPDATE: PD 17 works with hardware acceleration with Nvidia driver 416.16 on my computer. Also PD 17 has Optimization feature to optomize GPU hardware acceleration based on the GPU capabilities.

Billium W, a doubter here, please post a screen grab of any Nvidia Release 415 series drivers with the Nvidia control panel info box on top of the PD16 hardware encoding screen showing it's available as stated.

From what I know of PD GPU encoding and the current offering of 415 series drivers, I don't see how it can be functional so very curious to see your results. If truly functional, the only thought that comes to mind is maybe PD perpetual license holders are feature lagging with updates.

Jeff
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]

Billium W, a doubter here, please post a screen grab of any Nvidia Release 415 series drivers with the Nvidia control panel info box on top of the PD16 hardware encoding screen showing it's available as stated.

From what I know of PD GPU encoding and the current offering of 415 series drivers, I don't see how it can be functional so very curious to see your results. If truly functional, the only thought that comes to mind is maybe PD perpetual license holders are feature lagging with updates.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I had to roll back to 411.70 to get mine working again.

Andrew
Billium W [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

I would like to help you, but you mention 415 as the driver, but my Nvidia driver is 416.16. I don't know if the 416 is the same as a "415 series". The first and second posts also refer to the latest driver as 416.16 not working with hardware encoding (or acceleration as it is also known). I have attached the screen shot you requested.
[Thumb - Nvidia driver & PD17 accel.JPG]
 Filename
Nvidia driver & PD17 accel.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grab Nvidia 416.16 driver and PowerDir 17 hardware accel
 Filesize
130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]

I would like to help you, but you mention 415 as the driver, but my Nvidia driver is 416.16. I don't know if the 416 is the same as a "415 series". The first and second posts also refer to the latest driver as 416.16 not working with hardware encoding (or acceleration as it is also known). I have attached the screen shot you requested.

Nvidia refers to the next series of drivers as 415, so yes the two current offereings, 416.16 and 416.34, fall into this release of drivers. Your screen post is not hardware encoding as mentioned, but yes it is hardware acceleration, particularly for decoding. Please post a "Production" page tab with the hardware encoding activated.

Jeff
Billium W [Avatar]
[Post New]

Nvidia refers to the next series of drivers as 415, so yes the two current offereings, 416.16 and 416.34, fall into this release of drivers. Your screen post is not hardware encoding as mentioned, but yes it is hardware acceleration, particularly for decoding. Please post a "Production" page tab with the hardware encoding activated.

Jeff

Sorry, I am used to Premiere with its CUDA cores GPU support, so I thought the hardware acceleration in PD was similar.

Sorry, my bad. Doh! I had not yet not used Produce Movie (used to the EXPORT media in Premiere), so I had not seen the "hardware video encoder" button. Yes, you all are correct, it will NOT let me select that option.

Sorry for the confusion guys. Maybe CyberLink will fix this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 12. 2018 09:52

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I am used to Premiere with its CUDA cores GPU support, so I thought the hardware acceleration in PD was similar.

Sorry, my bad. Doh! I had not yet not used Produce Movie (used to the EXPORT media in Premiere), so I had not seen the "hardware video encoder" button. Yes, you all are correct, it will NOT let me select that option.

Sorry for the confusion guys. Maybe CyberLink will fix this.

Different products, different ballgame.

The "Production" page tab and settings I reffered to are shown in the attached documentation pic. You get there with the "Produce" tab at the top of the screen. Section I details some options for producing and shows the "Hardware video encoder" feature.

Without a doubt, yours is probably not selectable with any production profile settings with the current 415 series drivers available.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD17_Production.PNG]
 Filename
PD17_Production.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
488 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
39 time(s)
Billium W [Avatar]
[Post New]

The "Production" page tab and settings I reffered to are shown in the attached documentation pic. You get there with the "Produce" tab at the top of the screen. Section I details some options for producing and shows the "Hardware video encoder" feature.

Without a doubt, yours is probably not selectable with any production profile settings with the current 415 series drivers available.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. And to other guys that posted about this issue, sorry I misunderstood the difference between Hardware Encoder and Hardware Acceleration. Always nice to learn.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

So going forward, you can't use HA in 'Produce' using the latest NVIDIA drivers; that coupled with the fact we haven't been able to use HA in 'Create Disc' for some time.

Is there any point having a half decent GPU for PD anymore?

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
With the latest geforce driver 416.34 there is still no hardware GPU encoding possible in the production section. GTX 1060.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With the latest geforce driver 416.34 there is still no hardware GPU encoding possible in the production section. GTX 1060.

Like JL_JL said, I believe that will be the case with all future nVidia releases.

With the significant app interface changes that nVidia made in the 415 series, we'll have to wait for Cyberllnk to release an updated version to work with the new drivers. Until then, if you want to use HA when producing, stick with nVidia version 411.70
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

So going forward, you can't use HA in 'Produce' using the latest NVIDIA drivers; that coupled with the fact we haven't been able to use HA in 'Create Disc' for some time.

Is there any point having a half decent GPU for PD anymore?

Cheers,

Andrew

Good question Andrew, probably something CL should address in requirements, not an end user.

But since you specifically asked, as you know, "Create Disc" HA for Nvidia was deactivated in PD15 from a patch and there is a thread that PDM indicated they would correct deficiency in a future patch (https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51325.page#post_box_269469).
Quote As for the hardware video encoding disabled issue, it is a time consuming update that is required and they are still working on it. They did consider your request, but want to use all the resources to fix the problem, not to implement a temp one. They plan to have it fixed in a future patch update.

PD15, you know the story, never addressed. PD16, you know the story, never addressed. PD17, you know the story, never addressed. So, I surely wouldn't rush out and get a new RTX2080 or cheaper cousin for PD's current encode performance during BD creation.

That being said, some features of decoding still work and can be worthwhile to have a good GPU to do that task, especially highly compressed source like H.265. However, many bugs remain in PD, like it might switch to CPU decoding after a transition, after a pic, a color board, sometimes after a simple split. This can affect both timeline playback fluidity and decoding performance during produce. If your footage and workflow work with PD limitations, a good GPU could be worth it. If workflow falls in all the bugs, I surely wouldn't rush out and get a new RTX2080 or cheaper cousin for PD's current decode capability.

Why they would develop a "GPU Optimization" tool when the underlying encode/decode GPU capability with PD is so froth with issues the user community has shown for ages defies any sane user centric program development roadmap. Wouldn't fix the issues first be at least a thought, stated in link above “but want to use all the resources to fix the problem”. It's obvious they didn't, and didn't put too much effort even into this optimizer when the first patch is to "Fixes the issue that the program sometimes crashes when analyzing GPU capabilities." Furthermore, I challenge someone to identify exactly what it does do that's value added.

I suspect CL will address the shortcomings, it’s just a matter of when. Several other encoders I use continue to function with NVENC and post Nvidia 415 series drivers just fine.

Jeff
[Post New]
It looks like new Nvidia driver's issue since old one works fine. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like new Nvidia driver's issue since old one works fine.

It's really not a driver issue per say, it was an announced depreciation as before. It's really the same issue that occurred when the Nvidia CUDA encoder was sunsetted yrs back. In the current case, anything that used the old NVENC API and encode libs (8/14 vintage and older) was depreciated in the drivers going forward. Keep in mind, there have been about 7 updated releases since that time.

The last announce I saw from Nvidia was provided back in March/2018:
"Support for Video Codec SDK 4.0 and earlier will be deprecated in the drivers releasing around Q4 2018. As a result, any application compiled with Video Codec SDK 4.0 or below header(s) will stop working after those drivers."

The around Q4 2018 that was pre announced appears to be the current 415 series of drivers, so going fwd driver releases to span 415.XX-419.XX.

So, until CL moves to the current NVENC API, any current driver will fail with PD as the old NVENC API is no longer supported. User options with older series GPU's, use a pre 415 driver.

Jeff
lduguay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2012 13:14 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]

It's really not a driver issue per say, it was an announced depreciation as before. It's really the same issue that occurred when the Nvidia CUDA encoder was sunsetted yrs back. In the current case, anything that used the old NVENC API and encode libs (8/14 vintage and older) was depreciated in the drivers going forward. Keep in mind, there have been about 7 updated releases since that time.

The last announce I saw from Nvidia was provided back in March/2018:
"Support for Video Codec SDK 4.0 and earlier will be deprecated in the drivers releasing around Q4 2018. As a result, any application compiled with Video Codec SDK 4.0 or below header(s) will stop working after those drivers."

The around Q4 2018 that was pre announced appears to be the current 415 series of drivers, so going fwd driver releases to span 415.XX-419.XX.

So, until CL moves to the current NVENC API, any current driver will fail with PD as the old NVENC API is no longer supported. User options with older series GPU's, use a pre 415 driver.

Jeff

Jeff,

I did rush out and get a new RTX2080Ti for PD's current encode performance during BD creation.
And I did buy a new shiney gold ASUS Laptop with a GTX 1050
And I did update all my other systems to 416.34
And I did preorder a i9-9900k (hopefully the embedded GPU will be used for encoding)

The only thing I will not rush out now is Upgrade to PD 17 until this mess is fixed or CL removes Nvidia HW acceleration from their marketing material.

Thanks for this valuable information.

Now I look like a fool :p
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Now I look like a fool :p

No, you have great hardware and all you need to do is use the 411.70 drivers to glean the HW benefits until CL updates PD17. No one here can guarantee when that will happen, but I believe this is a short term issue.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
lduguay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2012 13:14 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]

No, you have great hardware and all you need to do is use the 411.70 drivers to glean the HW benefits until CL updates PD17. No one here can guarantee when that will happen, but I believe this is a short term issue.

Thx Optodata,

I've opened a support ticket (CS00194425 FWIW. I must admit It may not be an easy task to requalify PD with a new API, but I read they had an advanced notice back in March (and probably much earlier than that). Now stating Nvidia hardware encoding as an enhanced and world class feature in their marketing material is very misleading for new users. I think they should at least put a foot note stating that drivers after 411.70 are not currently supported.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2018 14:01

optodata
[Post New]
I've opened a support ticket (CS00194425
Now stating Nvidia hardware encoding as an enhanced and world class feature in their marketing material is very misleading for new users. I think they should at least put a foot note stating that drivers after 411.70 are not currently supported.

Thank you for creating the support ticket!

To be fair, When PD17/DirectorSuite365 were launched last month, the products were fully able to use nVidia hardware features, and it's only since nVidia started releasing their new series of drivers last week that the features have been lost.

While it will likely take Cyberlink some time to integrate the newer SDK and release a patch, if they are actively working on the issue I don't see a need for a disclaimer on the marketing materials.

Certainly, one would absolutely be needed if PD ends up unable to use GPU resources with the new driver series for any reason.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°