Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I've been using PowerDirector 16 for awhile now and just upgraded to the 365 version about three weeks ago. I'm feeling like I made a big mistake upgrading. The program is crashing more and more. It frequently locks up when I try to create keyframes and I have to close out of it and open Fix/Enhance over and over again to add or delete keyframes I've created. In the main editing program it will just suddenly lock up and the program will close itself. Yesterday it happened four times in three hours, and it just happened again. PowerDirector 16 never crashed once.

Why hasn't this been addressed in updates? There's an update to PD18 dated 4/14/20 but it specifically says it's not for the subscribed version (???). I can't find version 365 even listed in the updates section. Has anybody had any success in stopping 365 from crashing?

I have started this topic in october because of mentioned problems. I received a workaround from the German forum and a hotfix from suport. After the hotfix the problems were gone. Also after the update, as Optodata mentioned, no problems at all.
If you still have crashing problems send the required data to support and they will find for sure a solution as they did for me!

I had some hang. freeze and crash problems as well but Support sent me a workaround and hotfix which solved these problems
When you place a ticket at Support you will have to send the required information as mentioned in the ticket but then Support will try to reproduce the problem and solve it if it is PD 18 related.
Anyhow that is my experience!

Can you share the workaround, please?

Attached the Hotfix I received from Support.

The workaround is mentioned in point 4 which solved my hang, freeze and crash problems.
The attached zip file solved the problem of hanging of an .avi clip when reversed play was switched on in Power tools.

Credits to Rhon (Support)
Heute habe ich von Support ein Hotfix erhalten und damit sind mein Abstürzproblem und Hängeproblem gelöst.
Danke Support!
To day I received from Support after a workaround a hotfix which solved my freeze and crash problem with PD18.
Quote I updated to PD18 and have been having major problems with crashing.

1. Just doing simple things - anything - will result in the screen freezing, then turning white, then I need to choose to close the program. A message box says that its reporting the problem to Microsoft, then PD closes. This can happen every 5 minutes on average, but often just after a few mouse clicks.

2. Sometimes PD will freeze when loading a project.

3. Sometimes PD will freeze when saving a project, usually at the 60% point.

4. This afternoon, producing a 20 second, 67mb video took 45 minutes.

PD17 was a bit buggy as well, but nowhere near as bad as PD18.

If Cyberlink don't sort this out soon, I will definitely cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Mike

Today Support reported me that that they were able to reproduce my freeze and crash problem.
Regards, Koen
Quote Since September 25, I have been addressing the problem that PowerDirector 18 (365) will not start at all. Today solved Thank you technical support

can you tell me what solution Support found?
I have reported the freeze and crash problem on page 2 of topic "Cannot import any .avi files created by Fraps."
I have issued a ticket on the subject at Support.

If I play a project from the timeline the project freezes after some seconds or minutes but always at the start of a transition. I still can move the playhead but when I start the project again PD18 crashes.
producing a project causes no problem.
Unfortunately this update did not solve the freezing and crashing of my PD 365!
See my (Koen41) topic on the subject.
Quote Have you ensured that the photo is not on an upper video track?

How long does the photo appear onscreen?

Is the photo in your project's Media Room?

From time to time Win10 start picture flashes when starting up a project but it does not bother me because it is only for a second or less.
Quote Bernd, technical support, from German Forum, showed 15 years experience in videoediting.
For the time being he found a simple solution. Rename the *.avi files into *.mpg.
it is also necessary to have the Canopus DVdriver installed. (V8.50.1927).
i hope Support wil find a final solution in PD18 without renaming.

I recieved a Hotfix from Support with this hotfix mentioned problem is solved.
I can now play .avi (with Canopus DV codec) from the timeline!
Canopus codec pack V8.50.1927 needs to be installed.

With this hotfix crashing of PD 18 is not solved.
Hallo Bernd,
Ich habe von Support (Radford) ein Hotfix erhalten.
Mit dem Hotfix kann ich jetzt .avi mit Canopus DV (CDVC) im Timeline abspielen. Nur das abstürzen ist nicht behoben!
Gruß Koen
Quote I have similar problems but apparently my .avi files that used to work on powerdirector 17 is no longer supported by the new version. I contacted customer support and first they gave me the roundabout, asking me to update my graphics card, etc. After multiple exchanges, they finally admit that my AVI file format is "MS Video" and that's why I can't import it...

Very dissapointed as their only solution to this is for me to convert all my videos to an MP4 format before importing them. What a joke.

Do you guys have any better ideas?

I have the same problems with avi files with Canopus DV codec. This worked well in PD 17 but not in PD18.
Bernd the German moderator advised me to rename my clips from .avi into .mpg. I batch renamed all clips and replaced .avi with .mpg in the projectfile. Now I can edit my project but unfortunately when I play the project from the timeline PD18 crashes after some minutes but always at the beginning or end of a transition. I had no problems with PD 17 this version was stable as a rock.

I received a Hotfix from Support and now I can play a project with .avi clips (With Canopus DV codec) from the timeline.
Canopus codecpack V8.50.1927 needs to be installed.
However the PD18 project still crashes after some time
Da tippe ich auf die Grafikkarte (Treiber) oder mal die Hardwarebeschleunigung ausschalten. Ich habe mal Dein umbenantes Files 70x in die Timeline gelegt und alles mit Übergängen versehen. Es lief problemlos und hatte keinen Absturz.
Das Abstürzen passiert mal nach 4 oder auch nach 10 Minuten. Hardwarebeschleunigung ausschalten hattte kein Erfolg. Die Treiber von der Grafikkarte (GT960) installiert mit alten oder neue Treiber (436.30) hat auch kein Erfolg.
Alles hat bis PD18 gut funktioniert ohne Absturz, leider kann ich nicht zurück zu PD17. Mittlerweile lese ich im Englischen Forum das es viele avi und Absturzproblemen gibt Warscheinlich muss ich mal geduldig warten bis CL ein Update zu PD18 bekannt gibt.
Quote Kein Problem Koen,

ich werde versuchen auch weitere Fragen zu beantworten. Alles weis ich auch nicht, aber im Laufe der Jahre hat sich doch ein gewisser Wissensstand angehäuft.

Hallo Bernd,
Ich habe alle Clips umnummeriert von .avi in .mpg und im pds file habe ich .avi ersetzt durch .mpg.
Jetzt kann ich das Project laden und bearbeiten. Leider ist es nicht stabil, das Projekt stürzt gelegentlich ab aber immer am Anfang oder Ende von einer Übergang (transition). Das Bild hängt aber Ton läuft noch eine weile weiter.
In PD 17 waren die Projekten immer sehr Stabil.
Vielleicht hasst du noch ein Vorschlag zum Abstürzen
Übrigens Support hat vorgeschlagen mit "Handbrake" die Clips umzuwandeln in mp4. Meiner Meinung nach ist das aber viel umständlicher als deine mpg Lösung. Umwandlung bedeutet wahrscheinlich auch Qualitätsverlust.
Ich habe Support gebeten einen weile PD17 neben PD 18 zu verwenden zu dürfen.

Gruß, Koen
Bernd, technical support, from German Forum, showed 15 years experience in videoediting.
For the time being he found a simple solution. Rename the *.avi files into *.mpg.
it is also necessary to have the Canopus DVdriver installed. (V8.50.1927).
i hope Support wil find a final solution in PD18 without renaming.
Hallo Bernd,
Deine langjährige Erfahrung hat sich gelohnt, auch bei mir hat es funktioniert. Dank für deine Mühe!!
Ich werde es auch Support unterrichten. Hoffentlich weiss LC was zu tun damit auch avi erkannt wird.
Ich habe tausende Clips in diesem Format die ich alle mi Edius 5 (Hi 8 und DV) über firewire eingeladen habe.
Im englischen Forum hat man vorgesclagen die clips in ein anderes avi oder mp4 Format umzuwandeln, das hat mir nicht angesprochen, es ist sehr viel Arbeit und die Qualität wird sich verschlechtern. Die Qualität von Hi8 (720x567) ist so wie so nicht optimal.
Hoffentlich darf ich bei künftige Fragen mich wieder bei dir melden.

Gruss aus Holland
Koen
Quote Hallo Koen,
ich habe den Clip mal in .mpg umgenannt und schon klappt es wunderbar.

Bei mir ging es in PD13-PD17 nicht, noch nicht mal das einladen. Fehlender Treiber. Nachdem ich den Canopustreiber geladen hatte funktioniert das alles. Auch in der Vorschau aus der Timeline. Komisch alles. Werde das mal weitergeben.

PS: Hast Du die Daten schon an den Support gesendet?

nachtrag: Ohne Canopus Treiber geht wohl garnichts.

Hallo Bernd,
Wie bist du darauf gekommen um der avi in mpg umzubenannen?
Ich bin gespannt ob es bei mir auch funktioniert, ich werde es später prüfen.
Ein Clip und die Unterlagen habe ich gestern an Support geschickt.
Gruss Koen
Quote Hallo Koen,
hat sich der Support schon gemeldet?

Das Problem was ich sehe, das der grass valley Treiber im System vorhanden sein soll, so wie bei Dir. (siehe DXdiag) Wer den nicht hat steht im dunkeln. Die Frage die sich stellt, inwieweit CyberLink den Treiber überhaupt einbauen will., da ja ein Wettbewerber Treiber und kein Standard.

Hallo Bernd,
Der Canopus DV Treiber ist tatsächlich im System. Aber abspielen in der Timeline war kein Problem bis PD18.
Gruss Koen

Support hat mir gebeten die daten und clip hoch zu laden
Quote Hallo ,
komischerweise, wird der Clip bei mir überhaupt nicht in den PowerDirector eingeladen. Egal welche Version. Es kommt von vornerein eine Fehlermeldung. Erst nach Umwandlung mittelsXMedia Recode gelingt es.

Eine Frage, ist der Name der Datei (CS002059651) die Nummer vom Support?

Hallo Bernd,

Laden geht bei mir in der Vorschau aber abspielen in der Timeline nicht.
Die Nummer ist tatsächlich vom Support.
Gruss, Koen
Quote Hi Bernd, I had the same problem with GoPro Hero 7 vieos when applying Lens Correction and someone on the forum suggested I disable Hardware Decoding on Preferences. This solved the problem and I can now apply Lens Correction and still have video on preview (not a black screen) but when producing the output video still no image.

Ich nabe es gleich versucht aber für mich war es keine Lösung, noch immer schwarzes bild wenn ich das Projekt in der Timeline abspiele.
gruss Koen
Go to: