Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Why waste the money on a laptop with an integrated 1060 when a desktop with the same card would cost you 1/2 of the price and it actually would work.
It's the handover between intel and nVidia that doesn't seem to happen in the laptops when editing.Why?
Because CUDA cores are not actually used during rendering, so Optimus doesn't see the reason to switch to nVidia, while you wanted to use the integrated ASIC hardware (nvenc).
It's this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

LE: Why don't you try to "force" the laptop to think it is a high GPU load (CUDA cores). For example, start GPU-Z and use it's integrated test mode. Minimize it and then try Power Director. It might switch to nVidia (so you could use for NVENC).

Do you mean PDR16 doesn't work with a dGPU on a laptop?

I wonder why all other programs including Adobe Premiere and even MS Word can use a Nvidia dGPU on a laptop when PDR16 can't.
Quote It's NVIDIA's issue in previous discussions, so I guess PowerDirector cannot help here.

The most important point is, for multimedia, Intel GPU does better than NVIDIA, I don't see any signiticant benefit to use NVIDIA for video editing.

i appreciate the response...again, I am a newbie to rigs and editing but the lag and stutter while rendering would surely be cured with a better graphics card that has 6G of its own memory, right?

Yes. Difference is night and day even with an entry level dGPU
Quote Here's my problem: Have new Lenovo Y520, i7 (7700), 8G ram, and it came with NVIDIA GXT 1060 GPU. Problem is there is an integrated intel GPU and PD16 defauts to that and I've tried everything to direct PD16 to use the better card. Im not that techy...so this whole thing is very frusterating. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I've read a lot of threads on the subject and it appears that Cyberlink simply may not care. there should be a fix by now...these newer laptops are here to stay. Maybe its time to look at better software for video editing. Someone chime in if I've missed the fix. Thanks!

You need to go into the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, then Program Settings. Find PowerDirector in the the Select a Program to Customize. Then change the CUDA - GPUAs and change it from global to selecting your Nvidia Card. This will force PDR to only see the Nvidia Card.

Don't bother. PowerDirector 16 only works with integrated GPU
So as a closure to this topic:

You _cannot_ use dGPU Nvidia GTX1050 with PD16.

Look elsewhere if you need to use dGPU.
Quote I found the solution in one word:

I'm happier than the Easter

I klnow this is costly but Premiere Pro is night and day compared to PD16. First of all, you can use the dGPU. Then the proxy files are "real" proxies. You can apply effects, tiny planet, etc and it'll still play smoothly on the editing panel. PD's shadow files only works without any effects. Once you applied effects, etc. then it's as good as without shadow files - could be my laptop but that has been my experience. You can download a trial version and try it out yourself.

I'm also doing 5.7k sometimes (Garmin VIRB 360)
Same here and I'm quite sure it's PD issue. I tried Adobe Premiere Pro and I can choose the Nvidia card from the control panel and yes, I'm on laptop.

So I contacted Cyberlink technical support and they claimed it's Nvidia's fault because it's a Nvidia control panel - surprised!
I tried my luck with the technical folks at Nvidia and they advised me to re-install the drivers from DELL (my laptop is Dell XPS 15) which didn't help.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between desktop and laptop if we're talking about the same hardware setup - not in terms of performance but in terms of getting PowerDirector to use the dedicated GPU.
Quote James, I know that this doesn't answer your question fully but it might help.

Also these are the cards that are compatible:
[NVIDIA]
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

However, what do you expect to get using the card over the built in graphics.

If you have a newer computer or CPU, the GPUs are very good and deliver capabilities that rival or exceed some of the nVidia card's performance.

I have the following hardware:
Intel i7 - 7700 HQ (integrated GPU HD 630)
My dedicated GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 1050 ( 10 series )

I can see that the 10-series is not in the list. I'm editing 5k video (360) and the HD 630 is as good as useless. I also realised that the shadow files don't help at all. (Maybe I'm using them wrongly)

I downloaded a trial copy of Premiere Pro CC and it just picked up the NVIDIA by default. The performance difference is night and day! And the proxy (shadow) files in Premiere Pro do make a difference.

Thanks
Quote Hi,

Can anyone tell me how can I set PD16 to use the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) on my laptop and not use the integrated Intel GPU, please?

The Nvidia control panel shows PD16 is using the integrated GPU and I'm unable to change it as it it greyed out.

Thanks!

Please tell us what your video card (GPU) so other members who have the same may have some idea about the problem.
There are recent complaints about updating new drivers, which does not work as it should.
For this case Reverting to the old drivers should resolve.

I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how can I set PD16 to use the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) on my laptop and not use the integrated Intel GPU, please?

The Nvidia control panel shows PD16 is using the integrated GPU and I'm unable to change it as it it greyed out.

Thanks!
Go to: