Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 hardware acceleration with Nvidia
Samu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2018 03:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I'm having similar issue like this guy on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pkI3wEaNo

I have Geforce gtx 1050 and integrated intel hd630. PD16 only allows me to use integrated gpu. I've read it might be about the new driver version of Nvidia, and downgrading the driver might help. I'm not so happy to use that method, because it might affect the behavior of the gpu on other applications. Is there any solutions for this? Thanks! -Sam
[Post New]
I am repeating this from the PD14 days:
Don't use a laptop to edit videos! Laptops should be used just for light workloads, browsing the web, word processors... Buying a "gaming" laptop with a dedicated video card is a waste of money, compartivelly to buying a desktop workstation.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Sonic has always had a bad feeling to laptops for video editing, and he is correct in that desktops are more powerful and ecomomical. Sometimes a person can only have 1 and they get the lappy, the advantage of mobility traded for troubling issues, often due to video graphics cards. They should have checked here first! I might add that Sonic is, in my view, the undisputed expert here on video cards, so take that into account when reading his posts. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Samu [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2018 03:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, desktops are better for sure.. There's no problem editing without geforce acceleration. I just thought if i could get the benefit of that. So is it about that gpu or the laptops in general what you are talking about?
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I have a similair problem but with my desktop computer.

My CPU works on 50-60% and i can't editing video because the video playback stuttering/is choppy on the lowest playback quality.
I have looked at all forum conversation and all video at youtube.

My recorded video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4L6dUGCe_U

I've tried everything but no solution:
- with clean windows 10 Home installed with "no another softwares"
- with outdated drivers
- with updated drivers
- with CUDA Toolkit

...and nothing is better.
I can't editing my 360° video.

Please Help me.

br,
Szilard

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2018 10:30

AMD Athlon X4 845 3,50 GHz
Asrock FM2+
Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Kingston 120GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm HDD
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050
jefstead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2018 00:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi!

I'm having similar issue like this guy on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pkI3wEaNo

I have Geforce gtx 1050 and integrated intel hd630. PD16 only allows me to use integrated gpu. I've read it might be about the new driver version of Nvidia, and downgrading the driver might help. I'm not so happy to use that method, because it might affect the behavior of the gpu on other applications. Is there any solutions for this? Thanks! -Sam

I have the same issue with being unable to use hardware acceleration via my Nvidia 1060 in my Surface Book 2 15 inch with PowerDirector 16 and Nvidia 391.35 drivers. Producing is so slow, I find myself looking at other video editors.
[Post New]
I found the solution in one word:

I'm happier than the Easter AMD Athlon X4 845 3,50 GHz
Asrock FM2+
Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Kingston 120GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm HDD
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050
JamesK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 04:47 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Same here and I'm quite sure it's PD issue. I tried Adobe Premiere Pro and I can choose the Nvidia card from the control panel and yes, I'm on laptop.

So I contacted Cyberlink technical support and they claimed it's Nvidia's fault because it's a Nvidia control panel - surprised!
I tried my luck with the technical folks at Nvidia and they advised me to re-install the drivers from DELL (my laptop is Dell XPS 15) which didn't help.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between desktop and laptop if we're talking about the same hardware setup - not in terms of performance but in terms of getting PowerDirector to use the dedicated GPU.
JamesK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 04:47 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I found the solution in one word:

I'm happier than the Easter

I klnow this is costly but Premiere Pro is night and day compared to PD16. First of all, you can use the dGPU. Then the proxy files are "real" proxies. You can apply effects, tiny planet, etc and it'll still play smoothly on the editing panel. PD's shadow files only works without any effects. Once you applied effects, etc. then it's as good as without shadow files - could be my laptop but that has been my experience. You can download a trial version and try it out yourself.

I'm also doing 5.7k sometimes (Garmin VIRB 360)