Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to enable PD16 to use dedicated GPU instead of integrated one?
JamesK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 04:47 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how can I set PD16 to use the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) on my laptop and not use the integrated Intel GPU, please?

The Nvidia control panel shows PD16 is using the integrated GPU and I'm unable to change it as it it greyed out.

Thanks!
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Can anyone tell me how can I set PD16 to use the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) on my laptop and not use the integrated Intel GPU, please?

The Nvidia control panel shows PD16 is using the integrated GPU and I'm unable to change it as it it greyed out.

Thanks!

Please tell us what your video card (GPU) so other members who have the same may have some idea about the problem.
There are recent complaints about updating new drivers, which does not work as it should.
For this case Reverting to the old drivers should resolve. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
James, I know that this doesn't answer your question fully but it might help.

Also these are the cards that are compatible:
[NVIDIA]
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

However, what do you expect to get using the card over the built in graphics.

If you have a newer computer or CPU, the GPUs are very good and deliver capabilities that rival or exceed some of the nVidia card's performance. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
JamesK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Thanks!

Please tell us what your video card (GPU) so other members who have the same may have some idea about the problem.
There are recent complaints about updating new drivers, which does not work as it should.
For this case Reverting to the old drivers should resolve.

I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
JamesK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote James, I know that this doesn't answer your question fully but it might help.

Also these are the cards that are compatible:
[NVIDIA]
GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

If you have a newer computer or CPU, the GPUs are very good and deliver capabilities that rival or exceed some of the nVidia card's performance.

I have the following hardware:
Intel i7 - 7700 HQ (integrated GPU HD 630)
My dedicated GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 1050 ( 10 series )

I can see that the 10-series is not in the list. I'm editing 5k video (360) and the HD 630 is as good as useless. I also realised that the shadow files don't help at all. (Maybe I'm using them wrongly)

I downloaded a trial copy of Premiere Pro CC and it just picked up the NVIDIA by default. The performance difference is night and day! And the proxy (shadow) files in Premiere Pro do make a difference.

Thanks
JamesK [Avatar]
[Post New]
So as a closure to this topic:

You _cannot_ use dGPU Nvidia GTX1050 with PD16.

Look elsewhere if you need to use dGPU.
Mirco1976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2018 04:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am using PD15 and the NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, and having a similar issue.
It does not pick up the card by default and uses my internal GPU for rendering etc.
I can't select a card within PD somewhere.

If I disable my internal GPU in the BIOS, it uses the NVIDIA card without problem, and rendering is 2x faster!
Also the preview is working fluently as it should!

I,m still trying to fix this as I need my internal GPU for my 3rd monitor.... Just starting with Powerdirector movie making
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfw6yYxcWW5LIgLflOncqeQ
SteveVegas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2018 04:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

I have the following hardware:
Intel i7 - 7700 HQ (integrated GPU HD 630)
My dedicated GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 1050 ( 10 series )

I can see that the 10-series is not in the list. I'm editing 5k video (360) and the HD 630 is as good as useless. I also realised that the shadow files don't help at all. (Maybe I'm using them wrongly)

I downloaded a trial copy of Premiere Pro CC and it just picked up the NVIDIA by default. The performance difference is night and day! And the proxy (shadow) files in Premiere Pro do make a difference.

Thanks

Your CPU supports Intel Quick Sync. You will need the latest driver (8/1 obtained directly from Intel and NOT win update or any other means. When you go to Produce/Encode you should see Intel Quick Sync and in your preferences you will also see it along with Open CL. Check both. This will generally produce the fastest encoding times using H 2.64. My own non scientific tests confirm this fact. IF your project has no changes/effcts/etc and just raw clips you may benefit from SVRT but the gain needs to be around 25 %. I always deploy SVRT analysis on the timeline just to double check.

This is a confusing subject so please ask if you need clarification.
SteveVegas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2018 04:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... snip

If you have a newer computer or CPU, the GPUs are very good and deliver capabilities that rival or exceed some of the nVidia card's performance.

Ditto! Actually spend some time on youtube and you will see some surprising benchmarks which validate your/our claims. This is actually the reason I went looking for the Intel driver direct from the mothership. /lol Note: with the windows update driver I never had Intel Quick Sync and my Nvidia GPU was never used and the CPU usage pegged at close to 100% using what PD calls Hardware acceleration which I will politly say is misleading. /cough