Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Well, I downloaded the trial version and tried it, but it didn't do much good.

Upon playing an HDR file, the TV does turn to HDR mode, but then everything looks mind blowingly dark, as if the whole range of the video was mapped into the lower half of the spectrum, the brightest things being 50% gray. :/

Do you think the full version would do any better?
Quote How come so few people talk about this media player when it is the ONLY media player that supports everything?

-PowerDVD 17: no support for Dolby Atmos and only allow 4K HDR playback via compatible intel cpu/motherboard
-Windows 10 Movies & TV App: Allow 4K HDR playback over Nvidia GPU but again no Dolby Atmos support
-MPC-HC: some people say 4K HDR works with madVR, but is it true HDR? What about Atmos? Seems like it requires some tinkering.
-VLC: no support afaik

I'll try this when I get home.

If it does work, I'll make a sculpture of you and put it on my lawn.

I've been trying players for like forever (you missed PotPlayer) and none appears to work properly every time.

It's a kinda bittersweet thing as I'm finding out about this having already paid for a PowerDVD license, but hey, I'm all in for the switch if it does work. I asked for any outlook on HDR Blu-ray support on non-Intel platforms and haven't had a trace of a reply from Cyberlink.
Quote That file a non-protected 4k-HDR and it work fine for me with the following configuration:

Nvidia 1080ti - use default color settings
Windows display - HDR on
Monitor LG 32UD99 (4k HDR monitor)
PowerDVD 17

If you do not turn Window display HDR on in advance you get sound and no picture. I think that PDVD cannot toggle HDR on/off on the Nvidia card like it can do on onboard graphic.

Are you sure you're getting HDR in PDVD?

Try playing that very same file in the "Movies & TV" app and compare the results.
Quote HDR files in what format? What container? Be more specific or provide a link to a sample.

This is a nice example.

http://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

That file is mind blowing when player properly.

From my PC I've only been able to play it properly in Windows 10's Movies & TV app, selecting YCbCr 422 12bpc in Nvidia's control panel, and keeping "HDR and Advanced Color" disabled in Windows.

Either that or straight from the TV's USB port.
My question still stands.

What's preventing PowerDVD from providing playback of non-DRM protected HDR files?
Also, the Intel requirement is due to DRM issues, but what about non-DRM protected media files?

I have many of those and they don't work either.

Instead all I get is a black screen and an oversized green mouse cursor.
+1 on the inquiry.

Nobody that's serious about PCs uses an Intel graphics card.

From what I've gathered, the DRM scheme is bound to the chipset featuring SGX (currently only supported on Kaby Lake), and using the onboard video card (therefore no discreet GPUs, neither Nvidia or AMD).

Is this actually so? Will AMD platforms never get HDR Blu-ray playback? Will discreet graphics never be capable of such thing?

Please, we need some word on the outlook for HDR support on mainstream PC hardware.
Thanks for the reply.

Will have to keep waiting I guess.
I have an LG B6 TV connected to a GTX 1070, running the latest Insider build of Windows 10 (17025) and latest Nvidia drivers (388.13).

I know for certain my PC is able to send HDR to the TV, as Resident Evil 7 looks stunning, with the deepest blacks, incredible shadow detail and lights popping out light crazy.

Now, playing HDR video with PowerDVD I'm not getting anywhere near the results I get when playing the same video in my TV's built-in player.

Instead of the intended mind-blowing color pop, extreme brights and deep blacks, the whole thing looks as lame as a standard LCD TV. And not even a good one.

My Nvidia resolution settings are 3840x2160 at 60 Hz, 4:2:2 10bpp, and I'm letting PowerDVD play in exclusive fullscreen, of course.

Also, on Windows' display settings I need to enable "HDR and advanced color", because if I don't, all I get from PowerDVD is a black screen and pink cursor, and the video's audio playing.

Any ideas?

All comments are appreciated.
Go to: