Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
IS DVDFab Media Player the only media player that supports 4K HDR via Nvidia GPU & Dolby Atmos?
vmd12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2017 09:20 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
How come so few people talk about this media player when it is the ONLY media player that supports everything?

-PowerDVD 17: no support for Dolby Atmos and only allow 4K HDR playback via compatible intel cpu/motherboard
-Windows 10 Movies & TV App: Allow 4K HDR playback over Nvidia GPU but again no Dolby Atmos support
-MPC-HC: some people say 4K HDR works with madVR, but is it true HDR? What about Atmos? Seems like it requires some tinkering.
-VLC: no support afaik
[Post New]
Quote How come so few people talk about this media player when it is the ONLY media player that supports everything?

-PowerDVD 17: no support for Dolby Atmos and only allow 4K HDR playback via compatible intel cpu/motherboard
-Windows 10 Movies & TV App: Allow 4K HDR playback over Nvidia GPU but again no Dolby Atmos support
-MPC-HC: some people say 4K HDR works with madVR, but is it true HDR? What about Atmos? Seems like it requires some tinkering.

I'll try this when I get home.

If it does work, I'll make a sculpture of you and put it on my lawn.

I've been trying players for like forever (you missed PotPlayer) and none appears to work properly every time.

It's a kinda bittersweet thing as I'm finding out about this having already paid for a PowerDVD license, but hey, I'm all in for the switch if it does work. I asked for any outlook on HDR Blu-ray support on non-Intel platforms and haven't had a trace of a reply from Cyberlink.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2017 17:21

vmd12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How come so few people talk about this media player when it is the ONLY media player that supports everything?

I'll try this when I get home.

If it does work, I'll make a sculpture of you and put it on my lawn.

I've been trying players for like forever (you missed PotPlayer) and none appears to work properly every time.

It's a kinda bittersweet thing as I'm finding out about this having already paid for a PowerDVD license, but hey, I'm all in for the switch if it does work. I asked for any outlook on HDR Blu-ray support on non-Intel platforms and haven't had a trace of a reply from Cyberlink.

Please do try. Also the player is not free, so for testing purpose, you can torrent it and update to latest version 3.2.0.1 which claims to support hdr. Some people say the hdr does not look the same as the hdr ouput by other softwares though, so check that as well.
[Post New]
Well, I downloaded the trial version and tried it, but it didn't do much good.

Upon playing an HDR file, the TV does turn to HDR mode, but then everything looks mind blowingly dark, as if the whole range of the video was mapped into the lower half of the spectrum, the brightest things being 50% gray. :/

Do you think the full version would do any better?
vmd12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well, I downloaded the trial version and tried it, but it didn't do much good.

Upon playing an HDR file, the TV does turn to HDR mode, but then everything looks mind blowingly dark, as if the whole range of the video was mapped into the lower half of the spectrum, the brightest things being 50% gray. :/

Can you right click and click Information. Do you see it says HDR on top right corner?

Also check the version. Is the version 3.2.0.1?

Try turning on and off HDR slider in Windows 10 settings.

If it still does not work, try downloading full version.
A.E.K [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2007 20:46 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Well, I downloaded the trial version and tried it, but it didn't do much good.

Can you right click and click Information. Do you see it says HDR on top right corner?

I tried this program you mentioned, and when I try to play any UHD movie I get this message on the screen. My card is a GTX 970. I do have the full version of this program. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
[Thumb - IMG_0586.JPG]
 Filename
IMG_0586.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)
vmd12 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I tried this program you mentioned, and when I try to play any UHD movie I get this message on the screen. My card is a GTX 970. I do have the full version of this program. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Hmm weird. Your card supports H265 4K hardware decoding.

Maybe try updating the gpu driver? If that does not work, might as well contact the DVDFab team.
ChrisJames [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2018 09:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Mate, you absolute legend!!!

Not only does this work flawlessly, it also converts HDR to SDR (tested on monitor).

Thank you