Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Update to support 4K HDR playback using Nvidia graphic card?
vmd12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2017 09:20 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

As far as I know, with the new driver for Nvidia Pascal graphic cards rolled out, users can now stream 4K HDR Netflix on their PC since Playready 3.0 is enabled. Why does PowerDVD still only support 4K HDR playback with compatible Intel chip & motherboard when discrete cards are now fully compatible? Am I missing anything? When can we expect an update to PowerDVD to support 4K HDR playback from Nvidia graphic cards?
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Vmd12,

The PowerDVD 17's HDR playback currently supports compatible Intel graphics only.
For NVIDIA hardware support, there is no development information available at current phase. Whether or when to support certain branded hardware as it might also require the collaboration between hardware and software development to offer further compatibility.
We understood your concern for the HDR playback compatibility on discrete NVIDIA GPU.
This concern is escalated to CyberLink product team for product development reference.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings,
Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
[Post New]
+1 on the inquiry.

Nobody that's serious about PCs uses an Intel graphics card.

From what I've gathered, the DRM scheme is bound to the chipset featuring SGX (currently only supported on Kaby Lake), and using the onboard video card (therefore no discreet GPUs, neither Nvidia or AMD).

Is this actually so? Will AMD platforms never get HDR Blu-ray playback? Will discreet graphics never be capable of such thing?

Please, we need some word on the outlook for HDR support on mainstream PC hardware.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 13. 2017 11:53

[Post New]
Also, the Intel requirement is due to DRM issues, but what about non-DRM protected media files?

I have many of those and they don't work either.

Instead all I get is a black screen and an oversized green mouse cursor.
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to use a dedicated graphics card, you must wait until Nvidia or AMD releases UHD BD compatible drivers for their products. Even the card must become a part of the secure environment, which now consists from the motherboard, CPU/iGPU and the monitor. This is at least how I undestand the current state of affairs.

If you dig through this forum, you can find posts from a guy who claims that he runs UHD BD discs on graphics card. Is it possible? I do not know.

There are also the Russian hackers who supposedly found a way how to remove the protection from movie discs. However their UHD ripping software is only a hoax. (It can read and store the content of a disc only if the hackers already broke the code of the particular disc; if not, then the software can do nothing.)

Thus so far the only safe and working way to watch any UHD discs you want is either to buy a standalone player or build a PC by CyberLink requirements. .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]

Thus so far the only safe and working way to watch any UHD discs you want is either to buy a standalone player or build a PC by CyberLink requirements.

Well...to be more accurate, the PC requirements come from the Blu-ray Disc Association. CyberLink is just the middle man (software part) that follows the official spec so they can get the official Ultra HD Blu-ray logo on its product. This is a huge difference.

You should really be asking the the BDA, and even the device manufacturers, when and if they will add the graphics cards to the spec. Not CyberLink. It's not their decision.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2017 03:41

[Post New]
My question still stands.

What's preventing PowerDVD from providing playback of non-DRM protected HDR files?
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
HDR files in what format? What container? Be more specific or provide a link to a sample. .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
[Post New]
Quote HDR files in what format? What container? Be more specific or provide a link to a sample.

This is a nice example.

http://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

That file is mind blowing when player properly.

From my PC I've only been able to play it properly in Windows 10's Movies & TV app, selecting YCbCr 422 12bpc in Nvidia's control panel, and keeping "HDR and Advanced Color" disabled in Windows.

Either that or straight from the TV's USB port.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2017 14:52

TranLe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2009 00:13 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote HDR files in what format? What container? Be more specific or provide a link to a sample.

This is a nice example.

http://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

That file is mind blowing when player properly.

From my PC I've only been able to play it properly in Windows 10's Movies & TV app, selecting YCbCr 422 12bpc in Nvidia's control panel, and keeping "HDR and Advanced Color" disabled in Windows.

Either that or straight from the TV's USB port.

That file a non-protected 4k-HDR and it work fine for me with the following configuration:

Nvidia 1080ti - use default color settings
Windows display - HDR on
Monitor LG 32UD99 (4k HDR monitor)
PowerDVD 17

If you do not turn Window display HDR on in advance you get sound and no picture. I think that PDVD cannot toggle HDR on/off on the Nvidia card like it can do on onboard graphic.

So playing non-protected HDR is not a problem. If you want to play on of UHD disc movies that is protected HDCP2.2 you need to use the onboard graphic with the correct cpu (kaby lake or later), a correct graphic out displayport 1.2 or hdmi2.0 and a monitor or tv that can do hdmi2.0.

They want the whole path to protected:

BD Player - cpu - gpu - graphic out chip - monitor

Otherwise the handshake fail and you do not get any picture.
[Post New]
Quote That file a non-protected 4k-HDR and it work fine for me with the following configuration:

Windows display - HDR on
PowerDVD 17

If you do not turn Window display HDR on in advance you get sound and no picture. I think that PDVD cannot toggle HDR on/off on the Nvidia card like it can do on onboard graphic.

Are you sure you're getting HDR in PDVD?

Try playing that very same file in the "Movies & TV" app and compare the results.
TranLe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2009 00:13 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That file a non-protected 4k-HDR and it work fine for me with the following configuration:

Windows display - HDR on
PowerDVD 17

Try playing that very same file in the "Movies & TV" app and compare the results.

"Movie & TV" app crashed on me when trying to play that mkv file. I am on insider preview build 17035 so they may have broken something.

And I forgot to say when the monitor is in HDR mode there is marker that flash briefly at the top right. But it looks the same between running on Nvidia or the Intel gpu, and about the same as same as my UHD BD movie disc when using the Intel gpu (those do not work with the Nvidia).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2017 01:38

MirceaForce [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 29, 2016 13:26 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
hope that powerdvd team will bring support for nvidia cards as well....this is very frustating to have so much gpu power and cannot use it for 4k hdr full bluray playback
MirceaForce [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Vmd12,

The PowerDVD 17's HDR playback currently supports compatible Intel graphics only.
For NVIDIA hardware support, there is no development information available at current phase. Whether or when to support certain branded hardware as it might also require the collaboration between hardware and software development to offer further compatibility.
We understood your concern for the HDR playback compatibility on discrete NVIDIA GPU.
This concern is escalated to CyberLink product team for product development reference.

Greetings,
Hicham

this is not correct even for amd gpu & nvidia gpu

only intel ??? this is domination come on
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Vmd12,

Greetings,
Hicham

This is not correct even for amd gpu & nvidia gpu. You can say that again and again, and I believe most of users here buy your statement.

But, I personally think it's not a black-or-white/correct-or-incorrect argument here.

BD association defines 4k BD specification, and all the attendees who want to provide the playback feature need to follow up.
The movie disc demand on the market has ceased a lot nowadays (e.g. versus 10 years ago).

amd and nvidia are the key players on the market to offer discrete gpu hardware solution.
I have no idea if they have plan to follow up and work on 4k BD DRM compatibility.
If yes, it is expected that the 4K BD support won't be their first priority.

Everything is about money and business, and it's lucky that there is Intel solution at least for PC player.
MirceaForce [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Vmd12,

Hicham

This is not correct even for amd gpu & nvidia gpu. You can say that again and again, and I believe most of users here buy your statement.

But, I personally think it's not a black-or-white/correct-or-incorrect argument here.

BD association defines 4k BD specification, and all the attendees who want to provide the playback feature need to follow up.
The movie disc demand on the market has ceased a lot nowadays (e.g. versus 10 years ago).

amd and nvidia are the key players on the market to offer discrete gpu hardware solution.
I have no idea if they have plan to follow up and work on 4k BD DRM compatibility.

Everything is about money and business, and it's lucky that there is Intel solution at least for PC player.

in my opinion Intel paid powerdvd development for this....

but to be onest if you have a pc with intel or amd cpu and no integrated gpu/cpu it will not work either

their support tell us this there is no planing to change this

the only way to play 4k hdr is to open bdmv-stream- and open the biggest file in powerdvd---but if you have splits m2ts you cannot to this ...
vmd12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Vmd12,

Hicham

in my opinion Intel paid powerdvd development for this....

but to be onest if you have a pc with intel or amd cpu and no integrated gpu/cpu it will not work either

their support tell us this there is no planing to change this

the only way to play 4k hdr is to open bdmv-stream- and open the biggest file in powerdvd---but if you have splits m2ts you cannot to this ...

Wait, 4K HDR works properly if you play m2ts file in PowerDVD17?

I thought their strict cpu/motherboard requirements apply across both 4K HDR Bluray disc and 4K HDR video files.
vmd12 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Windows display - HDR on
PowerDVD 17

"Movie & TV" app crashed on me when trying to play that mkv file. I am on insider preview build 17035 so they may have broken something.

And I forgot to say when the monitor is in HDR mode there is marker that flash briefly at the top right. But it looks the same between running on Nvidia or the Intel gpu, and about the same as same as my UHD BD movie disc when using the Intel gpu (those do not work with the Nvidia).

I'm very surprised that you got non-protected 4k-HDR file to work using PDVD17, considering that I once asked Cyberlink support and they told me playback of 4K HDR files also needs compatible CPU/motherboard like 4K HDR Bluray disc.

Also, you said "about the same". So there is a difference in image quality between playing the file using Nvidia gpu and playing the bluray using intel gpu?
ctr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you want to use a dedicated graphics card, you must wait until Nvidia or AMD releases UHD BD compatible drivers for their products.

There are UHD playback certified drivers from Nvidia for some time already. It seems they are good enought for Netflix UHD (which also required full end-to-end DRM through HDCP and Microsofts Play Ready 3.0).
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you want to use a dedicated graphics card, you must wait until Nvidia or AMD releases UHD BD compatible drivers for their products.

There are UHD playback certified drivers from Nvidia for some time already. It seems they are good enought for Netflix UHD (which also required full end-to-end DRM through HDCP and Microsofts Play Ready 3.0).

4K UHD network streaming and 4K BD movie disc playback are not on the same page.

I agree that NVIDIA GPU is very powerful and compatible with various video technologies than Intel GPU (sure, it supports netflix 4k content.). But, unfortunately it does not have the compatibility for 4K BD so far.