Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Lady Fitzgerald:

PowerDVD17 just creates links to the media that it catalogues. It does not make copies of the media.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This helps immensely.

Thank you for the swift response!

Jeannie
When building a media library, does the entire movie file get moved to another folder or does DVDFab 17 just make links or whatever that point the player to the original location of the movie file?

The reason I ask is I have a huge collection of movies that are on two separate SSDs in my computer and I would like to see the contents of both drives in one list. However, if setting up a media library means the entire file is copied to another folder, it will be impossible to do since the SSD the folder will go into will be too small (I'm using the largest consumer SSDs possible already).
Quote Hi Jeannie. I am using PDVD for more than 10 years and with my several trial, paid or OEM versions I never experienced anything like this on five different computers and maybe 10 optical drives. As you probably know, some DVDs are set to start with subtitles ON or even a local language ON. One local distribution company (I do live in Europe) is particulary known for this - DVDs mastered by this company always set the audio track and/or subtitles to our language without asking.

In PDVD settings - General - More settings, there is a language section. I can imagine this could be causing problems. Is this set correctly to English? Did you try to switch between English and system default? It may help and it may not. Most importantly, did you uninstall PDVD, deleted all personal settings and installed it again? It is a first rule when a software malfunctions - a re-installation.

Right-mouse click during playback of that "movie with commentary" and select Language. Is the commentary track on the first (top) position of the list or not?

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD (and have updated it once). I've also gone into the menus of the affected DVDs and switched off sub-titles to no avail.

You can start the DVD movie playback in powerdvd movie library -> disc drive page.
But, not simply double-clicking the video files (on movie disc) to play from windows/powerdvd file explorer.
The above steps can help you start the movie disc features (subtitle, multi-audio, closed captions, etc.) properly.

Then, try to switch the subtitle and commentary off on the DVD movie menu, but not only from powerdvd playback control menu.
Certain movie title might have default subtitle and commentary settings that overrides or on top of software player playback settings.

I've tried all that, including from the .iso. Again, this nonsense happens only with PowerDVD, not other players I have tried (VLC is the only other one I currently have on my computer besides PowerDVD).
Quote subtitles than won't shut off in my .iso video files

In the other thread you mentioned DVDs. I thought you were talking about physical discs. If you mean .iso DVDs instead, then the ripping software may cause the problem. The settings of the ripping software can also modify the default Audio/subs tracks without even letting you know (as well as removing certain tracks). This would explain why you are experiencing this with several discs at once.

Reread the first post in the other thread. I had the problem with both the original discs and their .iso files so the problem isn't in the ripping software. The settings of the ripping software weren't changed. The fact that I had three in a row was a fluke because it has happened three other times as well at random. Also, this happens ONLY in PowerDVD 17. Other viewers, such as VLC, do not have this problem. Those six disks and their ISOs play just fine in VLC.
Quote Hi Jeannie. I am using PDVD for more than 10 years and with my several trial, paid or OEM versions I never experienced anything like this on five different computers and maybe 10 optical drives. As you probably know, some DVDs are set to start with subtitles ON or even a local language ON. One local distribution company (I do live in Europe) is particulary known for this - DVDs mastered by this company always set the audio track and/or subtitles to our language without asking.

In PDVD settings - General - More settings, there is a language section. I can imagine this could be causing problems. Is this set correctly to English? Did you try to switch between English and system default? It may help and it may not. Most importantly, did you uninstall PDVD, deleted all personal settings and installed it again? It is a first rule when a software malfunctions - a re-installation.

Right-mouse click during playback of that "movie with commentary" and select Language. Is the commentary track on the first (top) position of the list or not?

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD (and have updated it once). I've also gone into the menus of the affected DVDs and switched off sub-titles to no avail.
Nevermind. I came up with a workaround to this problem. Instead of making .mp4s, I'm making .iso files of just the movie itself for the few movies that PowerDVD insists on playing with subtitles until that problem can get fixed, if ever, judging from the flood of responses I'm getting in that post (/sarcasm).
Another "curious" problem (sigh!). For now, to deal with the problem of subtitles than won't shut off in my .iso video files, I also ripped the offending movies (three, so far) to .mp4 files. When ripping the .mp4s, I changed the original file names to the name of the movies plus DVD and the file number of the disc. The new titles show up correctly in TV Mode and the Folder View in PC Mode but, when I switch to List View in PC Mode, the correct file name will show for a second then will switch back to the original filename. Switching to Folder View or to TV Mode still fix the problem but switching back to List Viewt in PC Mode cause the filename to change again. I can actually watch it change from the corrected filename to the old one. What the heck? Why does it do this and, more importantly, can this be fixed?
Quote Really funny. This is second person this week who complains about CyberLink's fault and insufficient customers care. Come on people, try to read the bullshit you wrote with calm mind before you post it. Not only you are showing your stupidity to all the world, on top of it you are insulting the company, blaming it for your own mistakes.

If you downloaded a pay-for software and then deleted it, who did it? Your mouse or your keyboard maybe? How about throwing the PC out of the window because you can't handle it? Do you feel hurt by this? Good. Now read your post again from the other party's perspective and think.

CyberLink will let you to download PDVD again for sure. But you should be definitely humble and say "I messed it up, can you help?" instead of screaming like 10 years old kid.

That was harsh unfair, and not particulary helpful. Cyberlink doesn't make it clear that, unlike most programs with trial versions, you cannot activate a trial version. Instead, you have to download the full version separately from the trial version. I had the same confusion and almost went nuts before I finally figured it out.

Also, the email one receives (not so)Cleverbridge doesn't make even vaguely clear that, after the links the provided expired, one can still go to directly to Cyberlink to get the full version. I also had to download and install Firefox just to get anywhere with the purchase of Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 since (not so)Cleverbridge is either too incompetent or too lazy (or both) to properly program their website for compatibility with IE 11, using the pathetic excuse that "IE is pretty buggy" (not to mention that the first time I had asked them about it, they gave me a completely unrelated "answer").
As the title says, a few of my DVDs, both the disks themselves and ISOs I made of them, insist on show subtitles, even though I disable them in the menu before playing the movie, and I have one movie that does the same thing, except it plays commentary over the movie while viewing the movie. None of this happens when using another viewer, such as VLC. How can I stop this from happening?

Edt: This is really torquing me off! I just had three movies in a row display subtitles and I can't get the blasted things turned off! They play just fine in VLC. Why the heck can't a viewer I had to pay for do as well as a freebie? I'm beginning to regret buying this.
I've started ripping my movies to .iso files which don't have the cover of the movie embedded in the file icon. To be able to read my movie list from my TV, I need to use TV mode which has larger print but also has an empty box for the icon. In ccomputer mode, I can get a list, which is far more practical for my needs, but the font is too small for me read on the TV. Is there any way I can increase the font size in list view (mayhap hack a .ini file?)?
It took me a while to figure it out but you can't activate the trial version. You have to download the full version separately, uninstall the trial version, then install the full version and activate it.
Go to: