Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Some DVDs Insist on Showing Subtitles or Playing Commentary.
[Post New]
As the title says, a few of my DVDs, both the disks themselves and ISOs I made of them, insist on show subtitles, even though I disable them in the menu before playing the movie, and I have one movie that does the same thing, except it plays commentary over the movie while viewing the movie. None of this happens when using another viewer, such as VLC. How can I stop this from happening?

Edt: This is really torquing me off! I just had three movies in a row display subtitles and I can't get the blasted things turned off! They play just fine in VLC. Why the heck can't a viewer I had to pay for do as well as a freebie? I'm beginning to regret buying this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2017 23:30

Jeannie
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeannie. I am using PDVD for more than 10 years and with my several trial, paid or OEM versions I never experienced anything like this on five different computers and maybe 10 optical drives. As you probably know, some DVDs are set to start with subtitles ON or even a local language ON. One local distribution company (I do live in Europe) is particulary known for this - DVDs mastered by this company always set the audio track and/or subtitles to our language without asking.

In PDVD settings - General - More settings, there is a language section. I can imagine this could be causing problems. Is this set correctly to English? Did you try to switch between English and system default? It may help and it may not. Most importantly, did you uninstall PDVD, deleted all personal settings and installed it again? It is a first rule when a software malfunctions - a re-installation.

Right-mouse click during playback of that "movie with commentary" and select Language. Is the commentary track on the first (top) position of the list or not?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2017 16:18

FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeannie. I am using PDVD for more than 10 years and with my several trial, paid or OEM versions I never experienced anything like this on five different computers and maybe 10 optical drives. As you probably know, some DVDs are set to start with subtitles ON or even a local language ON. One local distribution company (I do live in Europe) is particulary known for this - DVDs mastered by this company always set the audio track and/or subtitles to our language without asking.

In PDVD settings - General - More settings, there is a language section. I can imagine this could be causing problems. Is this set correctly to English? Did you try to switch between English and system default? It may help and it may not. Most importantly, did you uninstall PDVD, deleted all personal settings and installed it again? It is a first rule when a software malfunctions - a re-installation.

Right-mouse click during playback of that "movie with commentary" and select Language. Is the commentary track on the first (top) position of the list or not?

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD (and have updated it once). I've also gone into the menus of the affected DVDs and switched off sub-titles to no avail. Jeannie
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeannie. I am using PDVD for more than 10 years and with my several trial, paid or OEM versions I never experienced anything like this on five different computers and maybe 10 optical drives. As you probably know, some DVDs are set to start with subtitles ON or even a local language ON. One local distribution company (I do live in Europe) is particulary known for this - DVDs mastered by this company always set the audio track and/or subtitles to our language without asking.

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD (and have updated it once). I've also gone into the menus of the affected DVDs and switched off sub-titles to no avail.

You can start the DVD movie playback in powerdvd movie library -> disc drive page.
But, not simply double-clicking the video files (on movie disc) to play from windows/powerdvd file explorer.
The above steps can help you start the movie disc features (subtitle, multi-audio, closed captions, etc.) properly.

Then, try to switch the subtitle and commentary off on the DVD movie menu, but not only from powerdvd playback control menu.
Certain movie title might have default subtitle and commentary settings that overrides or on top of software player playback settings.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2017 23:48

[Post New]

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD (and have updated it once). I've also gone into the menus of the affected DVDs and switched off sub-titles to no avail.

You can start the DVD movie playback in powerdvd movie library -> disc drive page.
But, not simply double-clicking the video files (on movie disc) to play from windows/powerdvd file explorer.
The above steps can help you start the movie disc features (subtitle, multi-audio, closed captions, etc.) properly.

Then, try to switch the subtitle and commentary off on the DVD movie menu, but not only from powerdvd playback control menu.
Certain movie title might have default subtitle and commentary settings that overrides or on top of software player playback settings.

I've tried all that, including from the .iso. Again, this nonsense happens only with PowerDVD, not other players I have tried (VLC is the only other one I currently have on my computer besides PowerDVD).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2017 13:12

Jeannie