Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I still have the problem. I ran a new file using WinDV and PD19 sees it as 32kHz sampling rate. MediaInfo and other players confirm it is 48. I put it into PD to trim the file and produce the trimmed version as another .avi file. PD is not reading the file correctly, even though it did so yesterday with a different file. Any workaround?
Yes, there is no 14 bit audio, I should have spotted that. Good review of specs in videohelp. Bitdepth determines dynamic range, sampling rate determines frequency response. They are not inherently locked together but camera settings usually pair them into one selectable setting.

Very grateful for your time and generous support of this conversation. Many thanks for WinDV and MediaInfo. Please close this issue.
Quote Reynold050 - Thank you for the feedback and the screenshots. I may have the explanation for the Windows/Properties/Detail difference in reporting the Audio bitrate and sample rate compared to that on MediaInfo for the same exact DV-AVI capture. See the attached screenshot from my own DV captures. DV as I recall has an audio bit depth of 14 bits, 32 khz sample rate to allow audio mixing in the Sony Standalone DV tape editor. You can change the setting in my Sony camcorder menu from 14 bit to a 16 bit 48 khz audio recording in which I changed once I found that out. PD, all versions, and 5K player reports it as the same as in MediaInfo to be 16 bit 48 khz audio whether it is true or not.

PD9 can write back to DV tape. If SVRT is used then the audio will be the 32 khz 14 bit depth of the original. If SVRT is not used then the audio will be resampled to 48 khz 16 bit bit depth. Yes this is true that PD9 had SVRT for both video and audio, Later versions of PD SVRT applied the smart rendering only to the video. The audio is always resampled.

Looking at the file on Google Drive, it looks like the DVCAM capture is not that much different from consumer DV. It looks like that recording is also a PD16 edited and written back to DV tape as it has effects and titling added.

Glad that the WinDV worked properly in your capture of DVCAM content.

Thanks for the explanation and the screenshot. It is true that DV can run at 32kHz 14-bit, but the miniDV cameras I have used all can also be set at 48 kHz 16 bit. My tape was entirely produced with a DVCAM PD150 camera and DVCAM studio equipment, all set for 48 kHz 16-bit depth. It was not PD 16 edited, it was edited and effect added with Final Cut Pro. I am not sure if or where MediaInfo exists in PD16. The equivalent that I can see, is right clicking on the clip in the timeline, which opens up a Properties panel. My experience with Properties was exactly opposite to yours with MediaInfo. It does not report the file as 16 bit 48 kHz, whether it is true or not. It reports the audio to be 14 bit 32 kHz. PD16 plays the video at standard speed but plays the audio at 32kHz, thus slowing it down, like a tape recorder playing back at 2/3 speed. The audio is out of sync.

I have made many transfers into PD from DVCAM tapes over the years, with PD6 and PD13. I have never had this problem before. But this is the first time I have tried it with PD16, which I used previously only to edit smartphone stills/movies for travel documentaries.

The DVCAM and consumer DV quality will always look the same. It is the same bitstream. The only difference is that the track on the DVCAM tape is physically larger, to reduce dropouts and losses.
Quote The file you have on google drive is 48kHz,

Audio
ID : 0-0
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Muxing mode : DV
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
Duration : 1 min 10 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 13.0 MiB (5%)

PD16 is just not reading file correctly. It works in the current PD19 version and versions prior to PD16. If you really want to capture in PD16, you can change the capture profile for other audio specifications.

Jeff

This file is changing specs depending on what software is looking at it. I am attaching the Properties panel from right-clicking on the filename in File Explorer in Windows 10. It shows a bit rate of 1024 kbps and an audio sample rate of 32 kHz, the same specs that PD16 displays. But when I open the same file in VLC Media Player, it shows the 48k SR. I am attaching this Properties panel also. VLC Media Player plays the file with correct audio pitch. PD16 plays it with the pitch lowered about half an octave.
Quote I don’t have any problems with Firewire DV-AVI capture from Consumer DV tapes. DVCAM is the professional version that I don’t have. Try using WinDV to capture and see if the problem still exists. Would like for you to record say 10 minutes max of video and share it on Google Drive so users can check it out and suggest solutions.

Thanks very much. I did get WinDV and it did make an .avi file with SR 48kHz, which PD 16 played easily - and it looks and sounds fine. Problem solved. Here is the link to Google Drive to get the 1-minute video which PD16 captured at 32kHz SR. The name of the clip is Waves 32k SR.avi. The first 5-6 seconds are black/silent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Eyd51406t4sA0z2ojM23vw8dyPo-ULC/view?usp=sharing
I did a capture of a DV video to DV-AVI format. There are no available settings for this - these are determined by my DV tape. I am capturing a DVCAM tape with SR 48kHz audio. When the captured file .avi is opened by PD16, the audio is much lower in pitch and runs longer than the video. Properties panel says SR is 32kHz. But the same file plays OK in Windows 10 Photo player and in VLC Media Player. I cannot find any way to set the properties of the .avi file in PD as 48kHz.
Quote Hit the double arrows to the left of the timeline to expose entire timeline, Then left mouse button in say track 1 at start of selection, drag and use the rectangular selection to select all the tracks and content that you want and move.

Jeff

Thank you. If I expose the entire timeline, the clips are so small that I cannot see the individual clips where I need to make the selection. My project is 45 minutes long and has hundreds of clips. In order to set up an example of my problem, I selected unaligned clips on 3 tracks, 7 clips in all, and dragged them to the right. This opened up a gap. All the clips to the right of the selected clips, to the end of the project, stayed in sync, using the command Insert And Move All Clips. Now I want to select all these clips to move them back, which is the condition where I have the problem. No way. The selection box works only on the visible part of the timeline. If you compress the timeline to show it all the way to the end, it is too small to work with. When the timeline is zoomed in enough to work with, and you make a selection, the box disappears and the clips are selected. You cannot move the timeline down towards the end and extend the selection. The selection box is gone and all you can do is select each additional clip manually. There are too many clips for that to be practical. If there was a feature such as Shift-Selection Box, that would allow you to make another selection that would add to the existing selection, that would work. I tried using the selection box at the beginning of the set of clips to be moved, then going to the end and selecting a bunch of clips there (by manual ctrl-click). I thought maybe by bracketing the clips in the middle, with selected clips at each end, the whole bunch would move. No luck, it's a mess!

I found a method that works but it is very finicky. You need a mouse with a wheel. Draw the selection box, and keep the left mouse button down while scrolling the timeline to the right and moving the wheel (ctrl-wheel). The selection box drags over new clips and selects them, while the previous clips remain selected. The lower edge of the selection box sometimes does not catch a lower clip, but moving the mouse forward and back will pull the lower edge on to a lower-track clip and select it. It took me about 6 tries before I got the whole thing. I dragged the selected clips to the left to close up the gap, but the subtitles all fell out of sync. They would have to be manually corrected.
I am using PD16. I am editing a rough cut into a fine cut. I have up to 3 tracks of video and stills, 2 tracks of audio, 1 subtitle track, and 1 title track. There is a lot of checkerboarding and L-cuts, with transitions, so the tracks overlap in various ways. In the middle of the project I decided to delete a couple of video clips on 2 tracks, which start and end at different times, and overlap in the middle. This left different-length open spaces on different tracks. I wanted to select all the clips on all the tracks, to the right of the open spaces, to the end of the project. And then to drag the whole collection, holding them all in sync, to the left. This way I could close up the open spaces manually. When I used the command Remove and Move all Timeline Clips after Removed Gap, the clips slid out of sync. Using this command, the subtitle clips do not move at all. When I drew a selection box to drag clips on multiple tracks, there was no way to get the box to extend all the way to the end of the project (about 15 minutes of material). And the subtitle clips were not included in the selection box. Even if I could select just one track at a time, all the way to the end, and drag it, I could line up the tracks and accomplish sync. There should be a command to make such a selection. Many thanks for advice.
I have a Dell T1700 graphics workstation. It has the app Dell Precision Optimizer, which features profiles of about 27 different imaging production packages -- for example, Adobe Premiere Pro CS, After Effects CS, Avid Media Composer, and Photoshop. If I am using one of the 27 featured apps, I set the Optimizer for its profile. Then it configures the workstation to optimize the CPU, graphics, system, and power. CyberLink PowerDirector is not included in the list. Can anyone recommend a software package that is technically similar to PD? If I could set the Optimizer to that package, maybe it would improve the performance for PowerDirector. Thank you.
Many of the free downloaded transitions do not have descriptive word names, just a number for the filename. Can I rename the .dztr file before installing it?
Thanks, this makes sense. However, I solved the issue and improved my results by going back to the project file and producing the movie in the mpeg format, then going to DVD. The disk looks a hair sharper, and it shows much less jitter of horizontal lines during zooms, as compared to sourcing a DVD from AVI. I did notice a slight difference in the audio -- it seems to have a treble tipup, which improves spoken-word intelligibility, but of course it thins out the music. I had assumed that AVI would be best quality ... not the case here. The mpeg movie had no color anomalies. All in all, a good learning experience.
I am using PD13 on Windows 10. I am importing an avi movie into a new project. It is long, about 40 min. The red color drops out intermittently for a few seconds, repeatedly. This is throughout the movie. I have played this avi movie directly using Windows Media Player and other players, and the colors are correct. It is not just in the preview, it is in the final output. I produced a DVD and the color had the same defect. I have also imported another avi movie, about 20 min., into the same project. It does not exhibit any color aberrations. After importing the first avi 4 or 5 times, and deleting it, I tried importing it with Scene Detection (RichVideo information). This did not help.
Go to: