Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote This OP had a first response from someone with the ability to be in the know but the post was removed.....

Ah so it was indeed! I got an email telling me there was a response, but as I checked I saw nothing. So I wasn't crazy after all! Well, at least not as much as I thought

regards, Frank
Thanks all,

That kind of puts my mind at ease

regards, Frank
Hi all,

Just curious... Is there going to be a regular PowerDirector 18, or is the 365 subscription model the new direction?

regards, Frank
Thanks guys, I found that. Indeed needlessly more complicated then just clicking 'Directorzone' in the window border. Little things indeed

regards, Frank
Hi all,

Today I wanted to go to Directorzone from PowerDirector 16 for the first time, but I can't find the link? It's not visible in the top right corner of the PD window?

I can and have logged in via the preferences dialogue, but there's no visible 'Hello Frank' visible?

Of course I can just browse to it, but it used to be accessible via the main program window in PD 15. Is this a bug or how?

regards, Frank
There isn't much difference between regular and 360 video editing, other then the projection. And definitely not when it comes to things like transparency.

I would have to check it in 15, but in 16, make sure the PNG's are in the top (well, bottom in the timeline) layer, so like Ynotfish says in higher number tracks. Can it be you have FX tracks over the top (bottom in timeline) of your video?

I noticed the same thing, also fading shadows in PNG that became solid bands. I found that re-ordering the track down, below the fx track(s) in the timeline, the issue was resolved and PNG's look like they should.

Does this help you out as well?

regards, Frank
I thought to let anotehr voice be heard.

To me, the new PowerDirector 16 is a huge update. This is because to me 360 editing is the main reason to use it. From where I stand, there are also thousands of potential new users to be gained for the new version. Those camera's are hugely popular these days, and there are not a lot of editors that can handle them. And far less even when it comes to affordable, (prosumer oriented ones.

Let's also not forget that getting new customers also increases the revenue that can go into developing future versions.

The main selling point to me is the new 360 stabiliser function. This is something you don't find in any other affordable editor at the moment and it does a spectacular job. I can really say at this point the 70,- upgrade saves me 300,- which I would have spent next month on a 360 motorised gimbal (370,- a piece). If I wanted this with other software, I'ld need to buy a much more expensive or a subscription based editor and another expensive plugin.

Just look at what difference this makes for 360 enthusiasts. I created a dog walking video recently, which was quite shaky. Looking at it was hard, let alone watching it in VR goggles: instant motion sickness. Now I re-did the same video on PD 16 with the stabiliser. It is a world of difference! Check it out yourself:

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_2bcqaTKs

Stabilised version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwT0hFnt66k

Apart from the stabiliser, the little planet video function in the View Designer is also a great addition. I used to be making these in a different program, a free editor from a known 360 camera, but that was limited to a lower resolution output (max res of that particular camera). Another editor from the Kodak 4KVR360 camera I own offers similar function in a new version, but without keyframing or editing afterwards. It just records what you do to the video with your mouse and outputs that. Would I want better, again I would have to buy the expensive editor and plugin, but now I can do it in PD.

Another function I am excited about but what needs some more attention is the Start view function. This works really well when you rotate around the Y-axis, but messes up when using X or Z axis. I've opened up a support ticket and hope they can improve on it.

To Cyberlink: I would really hope they can add keyframing and a stable horizontal plane to the 360 Start View

The improved placement of 360 titles and PIP's are also good improvements to the 360 toolkit.

On another chapter I'm very happy with the new included Boris effects. They yield not only great effects (I'm particularly fond of the Fast Film Process effect) but I'm also very happy they are fully integrated in PD, so no editing in separate, standalone plugins like ProDAD.

I do see some things need refining (like 360 Start View), I'm sure patches will follow, but overall I'm very happy with the new version. The 360 improvements are tremendously useful and I'm sure this will also attract many new users.

I would like to have seen import of dual fisheye footage, so a stitcher in PD, but that can wait, I can do it in the cam software. Looking forward to future developments!

regards, Frank
Yes, of course! It works fully well with 360 video, I'm using it mainly for that myself! I never said it doesn't.

But the View Designer is a single module in PowerDirector. And the View Designer was designed to create 16:9 video out of 360 video. That is the sole and only function of View Designer.

As stated on the Powerdirector page in short:

View Designer View Designer is a unique PowerDirector innovation that enables you to use 360-degree video footage in standard video projects. It's like you've filmed a scene with multiple cameras from multiple angles.

And explained in more detail on the official Cyberlink youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGh8yfoXlvU

You can do a lot of cool things with 360 video in PowerDirector. I really did buy it for that, and I did so fully understanding what I would get and what it would be capable of. After I informed myself, I knew from the beginning View Designer was NOT creating 360 videos, but flat, 16:9 videos out of 360 footage.

This is a video I created using View Designer shortly after I bought PD 15. It is made using 360 video from my XDV pano View camera, and in View Designer I panned, tilted and zoomed and created a 16:9 flat, regular video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MOhzU1RCw

With all respect, if you were under another impression, you have not informed yourself well enough before buying. Nonetheless, you have bought one of the most capable 360 editors out there, at least on consumer/prosumer level.

I'm currently very happy with the new 360 video stabilizer. It is a godsend! No other consumer level video editor has this. Just take a look at what it can do! Now I can just walk, run, dance, drive with my camera without worrying too much about shaking camera's and wobbly videos. I can just do my thing and still get smooth flowing videos.

An example: This 360-video I shot with my LG 360 Cam and created in PD 15 WITHOUT stabilising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_2bcqaTKs

And this is the SAME 360-video, but I used the stabiliser in PD 16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwT0hFnt66k

So yeah, 360 is big in PowerDirector. But the View Designer was fully, intentionally and with all the info surrounding it to input 360 video and output 16:9 flat video. Never was any other way, nor did they suggest it would do otherwise.

kind regards, Frank
The reason it is put under 360 editing is that View Designer works (only) with 360 video input, to create 16:9 'flat' output. It does not work with 16:9 input (and as you say it doesn't need to).

It works with 360 input, that is what it was designed for. In the descriptions of it on Cyberlink that is stated: it creates 16:9 video out of 360 input.

So there's no misleading. You should have read beyond the specs before you buy. Nevertheless, it is still a very usefull feature.

To me this was instantly clear before I bought PD 15 earlier this year. I'm sorry you missed that, but it's there for everyone to read.

regards, Frank

PS: not working for Cyberlink, just stating the obvious
I can live with this, View Designer is NOT about creating a 360 video, it never was. It has been designed to create 2D, normal video from 360 footage. Once you create a 'trip' around your 360-video in View Designer it will (and has always) output as a 16:9 (or 4:3, whatever res you choose).

Also in PD 15 it was working like this. It was accessible from the 360 menu's, but never stayed in 360. It creates 2D video's by design.

Not having it as option when in 360 mode is not so strange.

regards, Frank

Quote I also have the same problem and I bought PowerDirector because I needed this feature in the 360 ​​video.

But what does it mean? Must run in 360 mode and not in 16/9!

Solve it early or remove it from product features. So you are selling a scam product.
Thank you!

Once this is resolved, or I am sure the production team has taken note and sees the issue, I will take down the example from Youtube.

regards, Frank
I respectfully disagree...

Technically you may be right: that is how the (any) axis system works. But in practise, this results in 360 videos that are unusable, unable to properly watch and navigate. Thus a bug by design, if not technical.

Please, take a good look at the example I posted in my first post. It's short, ok, but pauze it in the middle and then try to look around you at the beach. You can't. No matter how you move the Youtube movie with your mouse or how you look through VR glasses, you cannot simply horizontally look around anymore.

If you tilt the video up or down along Z or X axis, and the Y axis now also tilts ro revolve around the new orientation, you cannot anymore in any point in the video pan with a level horizon.

It is like lumping your head forward and do a turn in that position. And your head stays in that lumped forward position for the duration.

If you view the video in VR glasses, with your head straight, and you turn your head left and right, you do not look around at the beach, but will see the ground come up or the sky where you expect beach. It is very disorientating.

TECHNICAL SOLUTION:

Don't tilt the Z axis, keep the axis system rigid. With the Start view designer, count in degrees from the 0,0,0 point but keep the axis straight. So you can have a startview look down, but if you mouse around you 'lift your head' and the horizon becomes level like it should be.

Another quick and dirty solution is to simply disable X and Z and only allow rotating around Y.

The 360 Start view tool is derived from the View Designer. I even get a 'not 360, switch to 16:9' warning box when I select it. The idea is good, and I very much welcome the ability, but the implementation currently is flawed.

I sincerely hope the support ticket get's picked up and this can be resolved.

I can use it now, but only the Y-slider. Not the X or Z sliders, or I get disorienting footage.

respectfully, regards, Frank
Thank you,

Yes I believe this is a bug. I have submitted a ticket:

Question ID = CS001799980

regards, Frank
Hi moderator,

Have you seen the test I put in my post? That IS made with the 360 example video that came with PowerDirector. But the same thing happens with video from my LG, my Pano View and my Kodak 4KVR360. Try and navigate the 360 sphere.

What happens is the when you change either X or Z axis, the resulting video revolves around a tilted axis system, which makes the video turn in unnatural ways. Please see the example I posted, it's the PowerDirector 360 palm beach clip.

Only if I shift the view around the Y-axis the horizon stays normal.

I really don't think this is specific to me or all of my camera's but acts like this for everybody. I'll try and get confirmation here.

regards, Frank
I am truly amazed by the 360 stabiliser.

Just quickly re-did one of my latest videos with the new stabilising. I stabilised about 20 or so little clips in this 4 minute movie. If you have two monitors, open a Youtube tab on each and watch them simultaneous (but cut the sound in one of them, for sanity's sake ). The difference is stunning!

Original, unstabilised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_2bcqaTKs

Redone stabilised version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwT0hFnt66k

Perhaps to some it may not have such big deal upgrades, but for 360 enthusiasts I can tell you it does have some groundbreaking stuff. Some issues thoug, like the 360 Start view edit only makes sense if you move around the Y-axis. Changing X or Z axis view messes up horizon and air. I've opened topics on my issues to not have a discussion here, like advised.

regards, Frank
I see it. I've looked over my testvideo, but I don't think I have it. Now, that is, I just did this one little video with it.

In my testvideo I mixed two clips of two 360 cams with two different resolutions by the way. The one on the scooter was with a XDV Pano View (2560x1280) the one on the grass is of my LG (2880x1440).

The Pano view has only one lens, so a black disk below. What I did notice is that the black disk stays rigid in the unstabilised video, but bounces a bit in the stabilised video.

I believe I know where the vortexes may be coming from. If you stabilise a normal video with software, often it crops the video a bit so it has some room to maneuver when stabilising. In a 360 shot you cannot crop the video, or the sphere would not be full anymore. My guess is it tries to overcome this by jarring a bit at the top/bottom of the equirectangular, which could result in these vortexes (nadir/zenith are just single points/poles, but cover the full top/bottom of the equirectangular).

Not sure this is it but I think I might be on the right track.

Anyway, I'm VERY happy with the stabilising. I almost next month bought a Guru stabilizer, but I keep that money (about €300,-, already accounted for the €70,- PD upgrade) in my pocket for now. It was juggling my money anyway, so better to postpone it. Now I can do moving camera shots and don't worry too much about shaking shots.

Just check out this difference: I just quickly re-did one of my latest videos with the new stabilising.

Original, unstabilised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_2bcqaTKs

Redone stabilised version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwT0hFnt66k

I'm stunned, this is fantastic.

No weird nadir things happening here. I stabilised about 20 or so smaller clips individually here.

regards, Frank
Hi Ynotfish,

Ok, yes I see View Designer now. This is different to v15, where it is visible also in 360 mode. It gives a warning to change PAR then, but it was visible.

HOWEVER... what triggered me was that I see the View Designer warning about aspect ratio at times (not all times, but half of the cases sofar) when I was selecting the 360 start view option.

I count that as a bug: the View Designer warning should NOT be visible if I select 360 start view. It has nothing to do with VD or changing out of 2:1 aspect ratio.

thanks for the advice, I'm happy sofar with the improvements!

regards, Frank
Hi there,

The start view option is (very) nice, but ONLY WORKS HORIZONTALLY (Y-axis). If you shift the video up or down, it changes the X & Z-axis, making the video rotate around it, making the ground come up and the sky come down.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0eExgqU_g

Also: there is a 16:9 resolution in the dropdown for 360 production resolutions: 3840x2160 is NOT 2:1 but 16:9, so no 360. It should be removed from that list. Can it be replaced by 3456x1278? I hear some people asking for that, it's the resolution of the Mi Sphere camera.

regards, Frank
Hi Herrpedro,

I saw somebody else reporting this, in a 360 rumors reply here: http://360rumors.com/2017/09/powerdirector-16-adds-game-changing-360-video-editing-features-stabilization-360-titles-object-tracking.html

Can I ask in what resolution you are producing?

regards, Frank

And yes, I believe you did it right.

Quote Hi Guys,

A quick test of stabilization and 360 titles, and a new feature: Set initial view (!)

Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16I27essCw

The stabilization works amazingly well! I was considering buying a Guru, but will keep that money in my pocket now The new feature Set inital view is also very welcome and works well, BUT only if you shift horizontally. It allows you also to look up/down, but this changes orientation of the Z-axis, making the horizon spin around that: not good. I will post to the PD forum as well tonight.

You can see this happening a bit in the third clip with my dog in the video.

Also, the View Designer menu item is completely missing here. I posted this here in the forum already. Randomly when I click the Set Initial View, I get a warning about switching to 2D for View Designer, but clicking it does not open View Designer but the Initial View window. Anybody else have this?

I imagine the Little Planet option is in the View Designer?

regards, Frank

Hi, just quick tested the stabilization with a strength of 30 (hope i did it right.. same place as regular video?) and i got a weird effect on zenith and nadir.
Hi Guys,

A quick test of stabilization and 360 titles, and a new feature: Set initial view (!)

Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i16I27essCw

The stabilization works amazingly well! I was considering buying a Guru, but will keep that money in my pocket now The new feature Set inital view is also very welcome and works well, BUT only if you shift horizontally. It allows you also to look up/down, but this changes orientation of the Z-axis, making the horizon spin around that: not good. I will post to the PD forum as well tonight.

You can see this happening a bit in the third clip with my dog in the video.

{resolved in another topic: it's visible in 16:9 mode, not in 360 mode} [s]Also, the View Designer menu item is completely missing here. I posted this here in the forum already. Randomly when I click the Set Initial View, I get a warning about switching to 2D for View Designer, but clicking it does not open View Designer but the Initial View window. Anybody else have this?

I imagine the Little Planet option is in the View Designer?[/s]

regards, Frank
Go to: