Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Like Branais points out: PowerDVD 16 has introduced 2 major regression bugs during updates.

PDVD 16 has 5 public builds so far: 1510 (original release), 1713, 1907, 2011, and 2406.

1510 is regression free but the key might be out-dated for new BD releases.

1713, control auto hide regression occurs

1907, BD folder won't play regression occurs (I have reported this bug last year to Hicharm and it's fixed in 2406)

2011, same as 1907

2406, fixed BD folder issue (just hit space and/or play button on keyboard/remote), but auto hide regression still exist.

So for most PDVD 16 users, you have 2 choices: if you want regression free and don't care about new BD release, downgrade to the earliest 1510; if you can live with and walkaround the annoying control auto hide issue, upgrade to the latest 2406. Just skip any build in between. Most people would choose 2406.

It's been awhile since cyberlink released a update for previous generation PDVD. I am afraid that we may wait even longer if we eventaully get a update because PDVD 16 is under the 2nd tier product supporting contract phase now.

Quote I also got the same problem. Thanks for sharing your experience hope it will work.

Thanks for confirming it, Amy. I was hoping Hicham's confirmation early in this thread that the developers had acknowledged the problem might lead to an update for PDVD 16. Like others in this thread, I really don't think it's enough to merely be expected to upgrade to version 17, especially since PDVD 17 has hardware limitations that most people on PDVD 16 are unlikely to be able to satisfy without significant hardware upgrades.

Hicham, what are the chances of an upgrade to PDVD 16 to address this issue of control bars not auto-hiding, and the persistent one where after PDVD 16 plays a digital video file from the hard drive, it gets stuck in folder display mode even when accessing a commercial disc in the optical disc drive?

In my opinion, it's really not good enough for Cyberlink to abandon users of what must surely be a much more widely used version of software than the one that's now receiving the updates.
Thanks for confirming the control auto-hide fix is in PowerDVD 17 build 1523. HOWEVER, the regression bug introduced since PDVD 16 build 1713~2406 still hasn't been fixed. Forcing upgrade to just get bug fix is unacceptable, especially the bug is a regression. I hope Cyberlink didn't intentionally introduce the regression in 1713 so they can get more money from upgrades.

Fortunately, the bug is annoy rather than critical and I have posted the walkaround in my earlier post. Either way, I have no intention to upgrade to 17 at this time since nVidia cannot handle 4K UHD bluray. It seems the only way to play 4K DRM (Netflix, Sony, Amazon and UHD bluray) on PC is to have SGX support along with other hardware requirements (nVidia already met). Unless nVidia 1) develops their own all-movie-distributor accepted SGX alternative, or 2) pay loyalty to intel as to insert SGX support code in their device driver; 4K is out of loop. This is the harsh reality right now, but I don't know how long it will last given the fact that all top PC spenders (High end Intel CPU w/o iGPU: x99/x299, and 1050 discrete GPU or better) are all locked out.

Quote I can confirm the issue with PowerDVD 16 Ultra 2406. I have raised the same issue earlier.

"After updated to the lastest 2406 update, I noticed the playback bar (the play/pause, fast forward, rewind, sound bottons) in the bottom of the screen is not auto hidding. It displays at all time during movie playback in TV mode. Prior to 2406, the playback bar will show for 5 seconds or so when there is a mouse movement then disappear automatically. It seems the playback bar is not in sync with the mouse movement event and shows very inconsistent behaviors in TV mode. 1) click play DVD directly from the root menu, most times the playback bar won't even display at all. 2) during bluray playback, change the sound output source (from bluetooth speakers to headphones or HDMI out), the playback bar will stuck onscreen forever 3) in the past, when the playback bar displays in the bottom, the top menu bar (back botton on top left, switch mode, minimize, maximize, close bottons on the top right) will always be in synced with the playback bar. They either display together or disappear together. In 2406, they appear to be out-of-sync sometimes. Work around: To make the top menu bar and botoom playback bar in sync and auto hide after mouse movement, you can move (hover over) the mouse cursor to one of the 3 buttons in the top menu bar (min, max, close). don't click, just hover over for 2 seconds or so, both menu bars will be in sync and auto hide afterwards. It seems hover over triggers the sync and auto hide events, however, the old mouse idle event along won't trigger auto hide consistently. I am using Windows 10 Pro x64 1607, GTX 1070 over HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2 on 4K@60Hz monitor. My DPI setting is at 200%

The easist the way to reproduce is to minimize then maximize powerDVD window during disc playback. It happens in both TV and PC mode. It seems the top menu bar and bottom menu bar is out of sync when min/max app windows."
When will the patch / update for PowerDVD 16 Ultra come out? The control not auto-hiding regression issue still exists in 2406 build. It's been 5 months now. I cannot revert to earlier builds because 2406 fixed most bugs in earlier versions but introduced new regression. Plus, 1510 may not play the latest BD releases.
I can confirm the issue with PowerDVD 16 Ultra 2406. I have raised the same issue earlier.

"After updated to the lastest 2406 update, I noticed the playback bar (the play/pause, fast forward, rewind, sound bottons) in the bottom of the screen is not auto hidding. It displays at all time during movie playback in TV mode. Prior to 2406, the playback bar will show for 5 seconds or so when there is a mouse movement then disappear automatically. It seems the playback bar is not in sync with the mouse movement event and shows very inconsistent behaviors in TV mode. 1) click play DVD directly from the root menu, most times the playback bar won't even display at all. 2) during bluray playback, change the sound output source (from bluetooth speakers to headphones or HDMI out), the playback bar will stuck onscreen forever 3) in the past, when the playback bar displays in the bottom, the top menu bar (back botton on top left, switch mode, minimize, maximize, close bottons on the top right) will always be in synced with the playback bar. They either display together or disappear together. In 2406, they appear to be out-of-sync sometimes. Work around: To make the top menu bar and botoom playback bar in sync and auto hide after mouse movement, you can move (hover over) the mouse cursor to one of the 3 buttons in the top menu bar (min, max, close). don't click, just hover over for 2 seconds or so, both menu bars will be in sync and auto hide afterwards. It seems hover over triggers the sync and auto hide events, however, the old mouse idle event along won't trigger auto hide consistently. I am using Windows 10 Pro x64 1607, GTX 1070 over HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2 on 4K@60Hz monitor. My DPI setting is at 200%

The easist the way to reproduce is to minimize then maximize powerDVD window during disc playback. It happens in both TV and PC mode. It seems the top menu bar and bottom menu bar is out of sync when min/max app windows."
The easist the way to reproduce is to minimize then maximize powerDVD window during disc playback. It happens in both TV and PC mode. It seems the top menu bar and bottom menu bar is out of sync when min/max app windows.
I am running 16.0.2406.60. This happens to all versions of 16 Ultra. I run it on nVidia GTX 1070 GPU, no Integrated GPU.
In the past, when I use headphone to play DRM bluray, PowerDVD will force the output to 48kHz/16-bit even my hardware support 24-bit. In PowerDVD 16 Ultra, it selects 24-bit output by default, but I cannot hear anything. I have to switch output channels to some device that also supports 16-bit output and force PowerDVD 16 to out DRM bluray to 48/16 to hear sound in my headphone. I think it is a HDCP restriction because I can hear 24-bit output for no-DRM playback. But why PowerDVD 16 Ultra selects 24-bit instead of 16-bit by default? is that my hardware specific issue?

To see your Sound output, you need to hit D on the keyboard to display OSD info.
After updated to the lastest 2406 update, I noticed the playback bar (the play/pause, fast forward, rewind, sound bottons) in the bottom of the screen is not auto hidding. It displays at all time during movie playback in TV mode. Prior to 2406, the playback bar will show for 5 seconds or so when there is a mouse movement then disappear automatically.

It seems the playback bar is not in sync with the mouse movement event and shows very inconsistent behaviors in TV mode.

1) click play DVD directly from the root menu, most times the playback bar won't even display at all.

2) during bluray playback, change the sound output source (from bluetooth speakers to headphones or HDMI out), the playback bar will stuck onscreen forever

3) in the past, when the playback bar displays in the bottom, the top menu bar (back botton on top left, switch mode, minimize, maximize, close bottons on the top right) will always be in synced with the playback bar. They either display together or disappear together. In 2406, they appear to be out-of-sync sometimes.

Work around:

To make the top menu bar and botoom playback bar in sync and auto hide after mouse movement, you can move (hover over) the mouse cursor to one of the 3 buttons in the top menu bar (min, max, close). don't click, just hover over for 2 seconds or so, both menu bars will be in sync and auto hide afterwards. It seems hover over triggers the sync and auto hide events, however, the old mouse idle event along won't trigger auto hide consistently.

I am using Windows 10 Pro x64 1607, GTX 1070 over HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2 on 4K@60Hz monitor. My DPI setting is at 200%
I have encountered the problem since Sept. and Cyberlink still haven't release a patch for that. I am currently running 16.0.1713.60 in TV mode. The 6 month old app works fine, but without any new updates. If you want to use TV mode to play BD folders, use 16.0.1713.60 in TV mode or PC mode (the latest updates works fine, but the characters on screen looks tiny so I prefer TV mode at all time.) I don't know there is an alternative app to play DRM bluray in Windows 10. Since there's no competition, we get stuck with poorer service from Cyberlink. Players like VLC or Plex doesn't count b/c they can't play encrypted disc.
It's almost 2017. I doubt PowerDVD 16 Ultra will ever support 4K UHD Bluray playback. I plan to purchase nVidia GTX 1060 for my gaming PC. It currently runs Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K Quad Core CPU and MegaChip 2800 with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 support. I am running the latest Windows 10 1607 w/ Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 DRM management. nVidia GTX 1060 supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. My AV receiver supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. My new 4K TV also supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I will also buy a Asus PA328Q or PA329Q monitor which has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support next year.

Recently I noticed Netflix will only stream 4K contents on Intel 7th gen Kaby Lake CPU due to DRM restrictions. I do not plan to upgrade my CPU anytime soon since I am buying the new GTX 1060 GPU. Because my whole chain has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support, would just GTX 1060 GPU w/ core i7 6700K CPU meet the requirement to play 4K UHD bluray in the future versions of PowerDVD Ultra? I can pass through DTS-HD/Dolby HD/Dolby Atoms bit stream now, will I be able to continue pass through DTS-HD/Dolby HD/Dolby Atoms for 4K UHD bluray on GTX 1060's HDMI 2.0 port w/ HDCP 2.2 support?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to buy GTX 1060 ends up not able to play 4K UHD bluray in the future version of PowerDVD Ultra.
I am supprise no one has seen this bug yet. To reproduce, you must upgrade to or fresh install Windows 10 Build 1607 (windows anniversary update). Disable Wi-Fi and use LAN only. (You can probably disable LAN and use Wi-Fi only as well)

FYI, PowerDVD works fine in Windows 10 Build 1511.

It happens to PowerDVD 15 or 16 (maybe even earlier version since I don't have them installed)

Map at network drive: \\server\Share. In file explorer, you would see a bar under the drive letter to show you total storage and used storage. This means you LAN is connected.

Make sure you have a large video files under the Share (at least 30 minute long) I played some huge m2ts files (30GB+) straight through BD folder. Don't play it in full screen because you won't be able to switch apps easily that way.

Play the video files in PowerDVD 15 or 16. Once the playback begins, use the slider to forward or rewind the video to random spots many times (this will prevent PowerDVD from cache the segment). Eventually, PowerDVD will hang because the network interface will be disabled by PowerDVD.

You can open file explorer, the mapped driver will not show the total storage bar mentioned above because the LAN is disconnected. type ipconfig /all to verify in command prompt. Anyway, the only way to get the LAN back is disable and re-enable the LAN adapter in network adapter setting control panel.

Once the LAN is back, the mapped drive will show normal bar, but powerdvd will hang again if it is still in playback mode. So it's better to kill powerdvd now.

I've been use PowerDVD for many years, but I am not happy with PowerDVD 15 and 16 since Windows 10 is introduced. It seems Cyberlink is always behind in terms of API. Are majority of your customer still stuck in Windows XP/7/8?
Hi, it's been a month now, when will the fix be released? Thanks
Why did PowerDVD 16 remove OSD display selection (Show Information) from the menu under TV mode? It is useful stats info to see (audio/vidoe bit rates, etc.). Every other stream device/service offer these type of info in their apps. (Youtube, sling tv, roku...) I know you can hit hotkey D on the keyboard to display OSD, but I would like to see it in the menu selection just because other novice user may not know the hotkey. This feature is available in cinema mode PowerDVD version 8~15 and disappeared in version 16 TV mode. Very disappointed!
Why did PowerDVD 16 remove OSD display selection from the menu under TV mode? It is useful stats info to see (audio/vidoe bit rates, etc.). Every other stream device/service offer these type of info in their apps. (Youtube, sling tv, roku...) I know you can hit hotkey D on the keyboard to display OSD, but I would like to see it in the menu selection just because other novice user may not know the hotkey. This feature is available in cinema mode PowerDVD version 8~15 and disappeared in version 16 TV mode. Very disappointed!
Hi, Mr. Percy,

Both your Intel Skull Nuc (nuc6i7kyk) and LG OLED55E6V supports HDMI 2.0a, so 4K@60Hz with HDR should be fine. 3D Bluray should also be fine. However, Do you know your NUC support HDCP 2.2?

Both your Xbox One S and LG TV support HDCP 2.2 so you can play 4K UHD bluray disc.

Thanks
I concur with EddyHD. The problem started in patch 16.0.1907.60 and it still lives in patch 16.0.2011.60. It is working as expected in patch 16.0.1713.60. It has nothing to do with cache since I was able to hit space bar to play BD folders in TV mode even with old cache files. However I am not able to play BD folder in TV mode at all in both 16.0.1907.60 and 16.0.2011.60 even after clean install.

Re-produce steps: (I assume you have a valid BD movie Folder (BDMV) that contains the PLAYLIST, CLIPINF, STREAM, AUXDATA, directories, index.bdmv file, and MovieObject.bdmv file)

0. Uninstall PowerDVD 16 Completedly

1. Search "PowerDVD" or "PDVD" or "Cyberlink" in Windows 10 file explorer and remove all traces of PowerDVD 16 files.

2. Search "PowerDVD" or "PDVD" or "Cyberlink" in Windows Registry and remove all trace there.

3. Install PowerDVD 16.0.1510.60 and hit space bar to play BD folder in TV mode. Works!

4. Patch to PowerDVD 16.0.1713.60 and hit space bar to play BD folder in TV mode. Works!

5. Patch to PowerDVD 16.0.1907.60 and hit space bar to play BD folder in TV mode. NOT WORKING!

6. Remove all cache files as you suggested. Still not playing!

7. Patch to PowerDVD 16.0.2011.60 and hit space bar to play BD folder in TV mode. NOT WORKING!

8. Remove all cache files as you suggested. Still not playing!

Repeat Step 0 to 3, skip to step 7. Still not working in 6.0.2011.60!

Repeat Step 8, Still not working!

Until it is fixed, I will be using 16.0.1713.60 and will never purchase future upgrade again.

As I mentioned earlier, you MUST select and play at root level of the BD folder or at next level, which is BDMV. This loads the BD folder as if it is playing the BD-DISC or ISO image with menus, etc. This is the reason people purchase PowerDVD. If you enter the STREAM folder and play individual M2TS files, it will play in TV mode. However, it is no different than using windows explorer to browse the BD folder directory and play video clips with Windows Media Player for FREE!

Also, what's your take on my other mention?

"Also why did PowerDVD 16 remove OSD display selection from the menu under TV mode? It is useful stats info to see (audio/vidoe bit rates, etc.). Every other stream device/service offer these type of info in their apps. (Youtube, sling tv, roku...) I know you can hit hotkey D on the keyboard to display OSD, but I would like to see it in the menu selection just because other novice user may not know the hotkey. This feature is available in cinema mode PowerDVD version 8~15 and disappeared in version 16 TV mode. Very disappointed!"
Just updated to PowerDVD 16.0.2011.60 from 16.0.1713.60.

In the TV mode, select a bluray movie folder from my computer's c: drive. Hit space bar (or click the play button on the keyboard), powerdvd screen flash immediate, but the movie did not start at all.

It was working fine in 16.0.1713.60 under TV mode. All you need to do is select the root of the BD movie folder or the BDMV folder inside the movie. Hit play or space button to play the movie. (it will say load the bd disc as if you play from iso image or BD disc. It has full access to all BD features including BD menus, BD-Live, Audio track, captions, etc.).

It is working in 16.0.2011.60 under PC mode though, but I always use TV mode everywhere even watching movies on PC because TV mode has a better UI. This forced me to revert back to PowerDVD 16.0.1713.60.

Also why did PowerDVD 16 remove OSD display selection from the menu under TV mode? It is useful stats info to see (audio/vidoe bit rates, etc.). Every other stream device/service offer these type of info in their apps. (Youtube, sling tv, roku...) I know you can hit hotkey D on the keyboard to display OSD, but I would like to see it in the menu selection just because other novice user may not know the hotkey. This feature is available in cinema mode PowerDVD version 8~15 and disappeared in version 16 TV mode. Very disappointed!
Go to: