Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Performance improvements over thest 30+ Pc years have been dominated by increases in cpu clock speeds. Lots of other helpers (faster, and lots more RAM, hyper threads etc), but the big contributor is cpu clock rate. And whilst gaming is absolutely dependent on good image performance, rendering isn't nearly so. So benchmarks for gaming may not be all that relevant to video rendering (comparing oranges and apples?)
So, whilst you haven't stated the clock speed of your new souped-up gaming machine and it looks like it has good ratings, check the cpu clock rate of the new one versus the clock rate of the old one; on your statement of performance difference maybe the the old Pc has about a 1ghz difference (faster) clock than the new one.

The base clock speed of AMD Ryzen 7 4800H is 2.9 GHz. Still it doesn't explain why a "gaming laptop" from this price range struggles to open a folder or a browser tab. My old Zenbook 15 with i7-10510U and integrated graphic card is a speed demon compared to it.
Yeah, I know the benchmarks. They were the reason I've bought this laptop. I've decided to return my unit since there's clearly something wrong with it.
OK, so it turns out that "high-end laptop" was a bit of a stretch here. Even with all drivers and settings maxed out, the laptop only ranked around 1270 in PassMark, whereas my old PC scored nearly 3700. I was unable to determine whether it's a matter of some settings or different drivers, but seeing the disastrous overall performance I've decided to return the laptop.
Hi guys,

Here's a story of hardware upgrade gone wrong. See, I was using the following PC for editing with PD for many, many years:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-C (SOCKET 1150)
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

It was obviously a slogfest so I've spent quite a while looking for an affordable harware upgrade and finally settled on an HP Omen gaming laptop sporting AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060 + 16 GB RAM and a very fast Samsung SSD. I was expecting a lot, the Ryzen outperforms my i5 like 3-4 times in benchmarks, and then there's the RTX. But here's the twist: even with all the newest drivers and all settings configured for max performance, and with PD18 set to use the RTX 2060 and not the integrated GPU, the laptop actually renders videos about 50% slower than my old PC does.

What am I missing? Again, the laptop is brand new, has the latest software and barely anything else than bare system and PD18. The PC on the other hand is slow, a few Windows updates behind and cluttered with 8+ years of system upgrades and all kinds of software. Clearly something's very wrong here.
Thank you for your professional and in-depth advice. The exact machine I'm looking at is called Dell Precision T3630. I'm mostly editing 1080p or 4K videos shot with Lumix G7. I'll have to pass on PepsiMan's generous offer since I'm based in Europe, so shipping would probably cost more than the PC itself But you guys have helped me anyway!
Hi guys,

I'm using a pretty old PC to edit with PD18 and I'm really tired of how sluggish the editing process is. I'm not talking about the render times, which I can stomach, I'm talking about the editing itself - with my machine, pretty much any action requires a little pause. So I'm looking for a new machine, something that would make editing with PD18 really snappy and I've been eyeing one of the cheaper Dell Precision workstations. The specs are below. Can you tell me if PF18 would really benefit from such a machine, and in particular would it take an advantage of an NVIDIA Quatro GPU? Alternatively, can I get something better inside $2000?

Dell Precision specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz to 4.60 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DIMM DDR4 @ 2666 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P620 + Intel UHD Graphics 630

Current PC specs:
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
That's helpful, thank you. How about a new rig with Intel Core i5-9600KF, 16GB RAM and GeForce RTX 2070, would that improve editing performance significantly? Or is the CPU still not good enough?
Long story short, I've been using PD for years, went from 13 to 18, editing effects-heavy full HD and 4K videos. As you can guess from my PC specs below, my machine is pretty sluggish when editing and I'm looking for a possible upgrade. I'd rather not buy an entirely new PC because my rig is still able to suit all my needs except for being a slog at video editing. I was rather looking at upgrading to GTX 1660 which seems to offer decent value for the money. Does it make sense for my machine, or perhaps is there something else I should upgrade?

PC specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, build 1909
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (Kingston Fury HyperX)
HDD: fast 250GB SDD for system and fast WD Black for video files
I wanted to thank you again for being so helpful, I've downloaded a trial version of the PD18 to see if that solves the problem and I can confirm that the issue is gone. Not only the live preview works fast, it seems to work noticeably faster than it did with PD15 despite the same exact hardware. Now on to buying it... thanks!
Thank you for such exhaustive explanation. I assume this basically means that my best option is to upgrade to e.g. PD18, since I prefer a one-time payment? What about my SmartSound audio libraries, will they be usable in PD18?
Thank you for your professional and in-depth response. I had the 446.14 driver installed. I've uninstalled it as suggested and attempted to install 411.70 instead but no matter how I did it, the installation failed without any specific reason given. Windows pretty much stopped seing my card, when I've tried updating the driver via Windows it downloaded some unspecified version from late 2019 that didn't solve my hardware support problem. So I went to NVidia website and dowloaded the 415.48 driver, installed it and the problem persists. Would changing the graphic card for a newer one help, perhaps? I've been looking at GTX 1660 and it looks like a good deal.
Long story short, I'm using Power Director 15 on my fairly old PC (specs below) to edit 1080p and 4K videos. Everything worked fine, even if not ultra-fast, until my Windows 10 updated itself to the 1909 build. Now, I pretty much can't do any work with PD15 because the video preview has become unbelievably slow (and falls out of sync with audio), even at lowest quality settings. The Windows build version was the ONLY thing that changed when this started happening and I'm wondering if this is a software problem that might be fixed or is it time for a newer hardware?

PC specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, build 1909
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (Kingston Fury HyperX)
HDD: fast 250GB SDD for system and fast WD Black for video files

Again, nothing in my hardware changed around the time PD 15 started having problems. Things I've already tried (to absultely no avail) include:
- shutting down every other application possible
- temporarily disabling my anti-virus software AND of course running a full malware scan
- freeing up some HDD space, making sure the HDD is defragmented and error-free
- making sure the power profile is set to maximum efficiency
- updating every driver possible, from GPU to video codecs

Also:
- no, I can't roll back that update, it's already too late
- no, I don't want to upgrade to a newer PD version, thank you
- no, I don't want to factory reset my Windows. Might as well buy a new PC.
- yes, I don't mind upgrading my hardware but first I'd like to be sure that this isn't a software problem

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, that didn't solve the problem but made some other software work noticeably faster.
I've tried that and it's even worse. Clickling Track does absolutely nothing with this clip, doesn't even start playing it, no matter how many times I click it.

I should mention that there was some weird stuff going on when I've tried using Motion Tracker for the first time ever, blank preview screen and the whole program seemingly freezing.
Hi,

I'm running PD 14.0.2820.0 on Windows 10 and I've run into a weird problem when trying to use the Motion Tracker feature for the first time: clicking the Track button simply does nothing.

I have tested this issue with a dozen of various video clips, all in 1080p resolution, with clearly visible objects. I've also tried toggling show/hide tracker box button. No success.

Symptoms: when I go to Tools > Motion Tracker, the selection box is there. I move it and resize it as desired, then hit Track button and... nothing. The yellow tracker box that's supposed to show up doesn't appear, the video clip doesn't play. If I click the Track button again, it starts playing the clip at accelerated speed, but still, no yellow box, no tracking, and after hitting Stop the selection box is right where I first put it.

Restarting the program, adding another tracker or removing the first one and replacing it with a new one don't help. It's simply as if the tracking process can't start for some reason. And I have a pretty powerful PC, it handles full HD preview without a problem.

Help please?
Go to: