Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 15 extremely slow after Windows 1909 update
Paul82 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 29, 2016 14:41 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Long story short, I'm using Power Director 15 on my fairly old PC (specs below) to edit 1080p and 4K videos. Everything worked fine, even if not ultra-fast, until my Windows 10 updated itself to the 1909 build. Now, I pretty much can't do any work with PD15 because the video preview has become unbelievably slow (and falls out of sync with audio), even at lowest quality settings. The Windows build version was the ONLY thing that changed when this started happening and I'm wondering if this is a software problem that might be fixed or is it time for a newer hardware?

PC specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, build 1909
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (Kingston Fury HyperX)
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-C (SOCKET 1150)
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
HDD: fast 250GB SDD for system and fast WD Black for video files

Again, nothing in my hardware changed around the time PD 15 started having problems. Things I've already tried (to absultely no avail) include:
- shutting down every other application possible
- temporarily disabling my anti-virus software AND of course running a full malware scan
- freeing up some HDD space, making sure the HDD is defragmented and error-free
- making sure the power profile is set to maximum efficiency
- updating every driver possible, from GPU to video codecs

Also:
- no, I can't roll back that update, it's already too late
- no, I don't want to upgrade to a newer PD version, thank you
- no, I don't want to factory reset my Windows. Might as well buy a new PC.
- yes, I don't mind upgrading my hardware but first I'd like to be sure that this isn't a software problem

Any help is appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 27. 2020 18:32

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You may be able to fix the problem yourself using a backup. Check your Nvidia driver version and roll back to the previous one if you can. See this recent post on what to do if a dch driver got installed: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82570.page .
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Although you provided a few top-level specs, the important details needed to assess your system are in the DxDiag test results, and if you follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide we can at least get the full picture.

Also, I don't think the 1909 update is actually the problem, as I imagine that when you installed it Windows also updated the nVidia driver which broke hardware encoding on PD15.

To resolve that you will have to completely uninstall the current DCH driver (using the main Windows Apps & features uninstaller) and then download and install the 411.70 driver to restore that functionality.

Since you say you aren't willing to update to a newer version of PD, you will also need to insure that Windows doesn't ever update that driver or you will lose hardware encoding again.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your professional and in-depth response. I had the 446.14 driver installed. I've uninstalled it as suggested and attempted to install 411.70 instead but no matter how I did it, the installation failed without any specific reason given. Windows pretty much stopped seing my card, when I've tried updating the driver via Windows it downloaded some unspecified version from late 2019 that didn't solve my hardware support problem. So I went to NVidia website and dowloaded the 415.48 driver, installed it and the problem persists. Would changing the graphic card for a newer one help, perhaps? I've been looking at GTX 1660 and it looks like a good deal.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for your professional and in-depth response. I had the 446.14 driver installed. I've uninstalled it as suggested and attempted to install 411.70 instead but no matter how I did it, the installation failed without any specific reason given. Windows pretty much stopped seing my card, when I've tried updating the driver via Windows it downloaded some unspecified version from late 2019 that didn't solve my hardware support problem. So I went to NVidia website and dowloaded the 415.48 driver, installed it and the problem persists. Would changing the graphic card for a newer one help, perhaps? I've been looking at GTX 1660 and it looks like a good deal.

Assume you meant 451.48, no, PD15 hardware encoding will not work with that driver. For PD15, the most recent driver you can use is 411.70 for hardware decode/encode and therefor need a GPU compliant with that vintage as well. So no, a GTX 1660 will not help your PD15 situation either as 411.70 driver does not support a GTX 1660.

Additionally, if you have the DCH driver installed, which windows probable did do during an update, my experience is you often can't simply use Windows Apps & features uninstaller as suggested especially when trying to install a pre 12/2019 Nvidia standard driver. You can check which version of driver is installed by the Nvidia Control Panel, System Information, and then look at Driver Type:, it will state Standard or DCH. Windows remembers and forces a DCH driver, the older 411.70 is a basic Standard driver so you will usually get a error on install about compatibility. DDU often one method to uninstall and revert to standard 411.70 driver, often best to do this with no internet so windows does not beat you to an install.

I'd almost seriously doubt the lack of GPU hardware decode/encode is the source of your OP statement "Now, I pretty much can't do any work with PD15 because the video preview has become unbelievably slow". A GTX 770 just won't affect the timeline playback that much in PD15. Your OP stated nothing about encode issues.

Jeff
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for such exhaustive explanation. I assume this basically means that my best option is to upgrade to e.g. PD18, since I prefer a one-time payment? What about my SmartSound audio libraries, will they be usable in PD18?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What about my SmartSound audio libraries, will they be usable in PD18?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82570.page#post_box_340155

Jeff
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wanted to thank you again for being so helpful, I've downloaded a trial version of the PD18 to see if that solves the problem and I can confirm that the issue is gone. Not only the live preview works fast, it seems to work noticeably faster than it did with PD15 despite the same exact hardware. Now on to buying it... thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I wanted to thank you again for being so helpful, I've downloaded a trial version of the PD18 to see if that solves the problem and I can confirm that the issue is gone. Not only the live preview works fast, it seems to work noticeably faster than it did with PD15 despite the same exact hardware. Now on to buying it... thanks!

Some users have noted a very sluggish timeline behavior after windows update. I'm not exactly sure what triggers the issue, I've not had it. I recall one user only resolving after full windows reinstall and then PD install which they noted did corrected the issue. However, you stated this approach was not an option for you.

Jeff
Beemer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Dec 27, 2016 02:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Long story short, I'm using Power Director 15 on my fairly old PC (specs below) to edit 1080p and 4K videos. Everything worked fine, even if not ultra-fast, until my Windows 10 updated itself to the 1909 build. Now, I pretty much can't do any work with PD15 because the video preview has become unbelievably slow (and falls out of sync with audio), even at lowest quality settings. The Windows build version was the ONLY thing that changed when this started happening and I'm wondering if this is a software problem that might be fixed or is it time for a newer hardware?

PC specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit, build 1909
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (Kingston Fury HyperX)
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-C (SOCKET 1150)
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
HDD: fast 250GB SDD for system and fast WD Black for video files

Again, nothing in my hardware changed around the time PD 15 started having problems. Things I've already tried (to absultely no avail) include:
- shutting down every other application possible
- temporarily disabling my anti-virus software AND of course running a full malware scan
- freeing up some HDD space, making sure the HDD is defragmented and error-free
- making sure the power profile is set to maximum efficiency
- updating every driver possible, from GPU to video codecs

Also:
- no, I can't roll back that update, it's already too late
- no, I don't want to upgrade to a newer PD version, thank you
- no, I don't want to factory reset my Windows. Might as well buy a new PC.
- yes, I don't mind upgrading my hardware but first I'd like to be sure that this isn't a software problem

Any help is appreciated.

Paul,
I'm running the same as you without your problem. One piece of advice is to download the Nvidea GForce Studio drivers not the Game drivers
Ian