Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 surprisingly slow on a high-end gaming laptop
Paul82 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 29, 2016 14:41 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

Here's a story of hardware upgrade gone wrong. See, I was using the following PC for editing with PD for many, many years:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-C (SOCKET 1150)
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

It was obviously a slogfest so I've spent quite a while looking for an affordable harware upgrade and finally settled on an HP Omen gaming laptop sporting AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060 + 16 GB RAM and a very fast Samsung SSD. I was expecting a lot, the Ryzen outperforms my i5 like 3-4 times in benchmarks, and then there's the RTX. But here's the twist: even with all the newest drivers and all settings configured for max performance, and with PD18 set to use the RTX 2060 and not the integrated GPU, the laptop actually renders videos about 50% slower than my old PC does.

What am I missing? Again, the laptop is brand new, has the latest software and barely anything else than bare system and PD18. The PC on the other hand is slow, a few Windows updates behind and cluttered with 8+ years of system upgrades and all kinds of software. Clearly something's very wrong here.
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so it turns out that "high-end laptop" was a bit of a stretch here. Even with all drivers and settings maxed out, the laptop only ranked around 1270 in PassMark, whereas my old PC scored nearly 3700. I was unable to determine whether it's a matter of some settings or different drivers, but seeing the disastrous overall performance I've decided to return the laptop.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
i don't know about that.
HP Omen gaming laptop AMD Ryzen 7 4800H benchmark from cpu benchmarks.net is 19,222 and your pc Intel Core i5 4670K is 5,497. hp is almost 4x faster.

gpu GeForce RTX 2060 laptop benchmark is 11,354 and pc NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 is 5,871. hp is almost 2x faster.

looking at these numbers hp shoulda finish the same projects at half the time. i'd say pd18 didn't like your "high-end laptop" period.

OR

hp couldn't breathe fast enough to cool down so it was heat throttling...

oh happy happy joy joy ^^

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2021 17:37

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I know the benchmarks. They were the reason I've bought this laptop. I've decided to return my unit since there's clearly something wrong with it.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Performance improvements over thest 30+ Pc years have been dominated by increases in cpu clock speeds. Lots of other helpers (faster, and lots more RAM, hyper threads etc), but the big contributor is cpu clock rate. And whilst gaming is absolutely dependent on good image performance, rendering isn't nearly so. So benchmarks for gaming may not be all that relevant to video rendering (comparing oranges and apples?)
So, whilst you haven't stated the clock speed of your new souped-up gaming machine and it looks like it has good ratings, check the cpu clock rate of the new one versus the clock rate of the old one; on your statement of performance difference maybe the the old Pc has about a 1ghz difference (faster) clock than the new one.
Paul82 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Performance improvements over thest 30+ Pc years have been dominated by increases in cpu clock speeds. Lots of other helpers (faster, and lots more RAM, hyper threads etc), but the big contributor is cpu clock rate. And whilst gaming is absolutely dependent on good image performance, rendering isn't nearly so. So benchmarks for gaming may not be all that relevant to video rendering (comparing oranges and apples?)
So, whilst you haven't stated the clock speed of your new souped-up gaming machine and it looks like it has good ratings, check the cpu clock rate of the new one versus the clock rate of the old one; on your statement of performance difference maybe the the old Pc has about a 1ghz difference (faster) clock than the new one.

The base clock speed of AMD Ryzen 7 4800H is 2.9 GHz. Still it doesn't explain why a "gaming laptop" from this price range struggles to open a folder or a browser tab. My old Zenbook 15 with i7-10510U and integrated graphic card is a speed demon compared to it.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Are we talking about the same thing? you originally posted about slow render times, and now it's opening a folder or browser tab.

Something seems to be burning capacity in the background. A couple of suggestions;

• have you tried simply disconnecting the new PC from the internet and repeating your render test? If there is something in the background, removing the net should at least give it pause. If that turns out to be the case, hunting what it is will be interesting . .

• turn your AV security off and repeat with above