Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have had similar experiences. The last editing software I used was Sony Vegas, and you could always crossfade no matter what. From my experience with PD, the crossfades have to be setup a certain way. It seems like you can only crossfade one side of a clip at a time. For me, I cannot drop a clip into a blank space in between two other clips and get it to crossfade on both sides. I could do this in Vegas. For PD, I have to move clips out of the way, so that the clip I want to insert have enough room to be dropped on the timeline without interference. Then, I can crossfade it into the clip on the left, and then I can start moving the clips on the right side over to be crossfaded. It drives me nuts. I feel like I have to be missing something as well.
I have the same indications as you with my 770. Must be an NVIDIA thing.
You bet, sorry I forgot to do that!
Project complete. Learned a lot on this one. Thanks everyone!
Well some of us have jobs that take us all over the world, and having a nice laptop that you can do just about everything you can do on your desktop that is anchored at home fits the bill. Not only can you get stuff done, but you can get some entertainment and have some comforts of home with you. Other folks like to go to meet up with friends for a LAN party. There are tons of reasons, but regardless he has a valid question.

I am not sure how to use both cards, or if it is possible, but you can force your NVIDIA software to use NVIDIA card over the integrated graphics. You can right click on the PD exe file and select "Run with graphics processor..." and then select the one you want. You can also go into the NVIDIA control panel, select 3d settings, and then select High Performance NVIDIA Processor under the preferred processor setting. You can also create a custom set of settings for power director under the programs tab.

In PD, make sure you go to preferences and check all the boxes under hardware acceleration. When you produce a video, only some types of codecs can use the hardware acceleration as well. If the selected CODEC can, you will see the box next to Fast Video Rendering Technology enabled.

I think there might be some misleading labels used for the hardware acceleration, but as long as it is enabled in the preferences and selected on the produce screen you should be good to go. Also, you need to make sure you have current video drivers loaded for the cards. There are some issues with the older NVIDIA cards running the old architecture. If you have one of the older cards described in written by Sonic, then you will need to do some tweaking to the drivers. Sonic is the subject matter expert on that and should be able to help you out, so check out his sticky thread.
Yeah Optimus is a double edge sword. Sounds great on paper, and is great for battery life, but I am starting to get annoyed because there are a lot of quirks. My old laptop with the AMD card had no such mess, and always ran on the big card... only had about 40 minutes of battery life though lol.
Awesome, thanks! The clip looks great. I never thought about producing only that clip then putting it into the video. Duh! I guess my expectations were a little too high at times. Last time I did a lot of time stretch was using Sony Vegas and much lower quality material.

I did try disabling the NVIDIA card, which caused my games to slow to a stand still. So, it NVIDIA card is definitely being used. I went ahead and did a clean uninstall, registry scrub, and clean install of the drivers. No change, but doesn't hurt. My settings in PD13 match yours as well.

What exactly is the MultiAVCHD test? Just to see if the codecs are loaded? I failed all three tests, so perhaps I will take a look into ensuring all those CODECs are loaded.

The preview still stutters a little at times during the rest of the video, but usually in conjunction with some sort of effect or transition which I would expect (although sometimes it just stutters fo no apparent reason). The massive grind to a halt is what really surprised me though.

I will keep investigating, but for now, it looks like this is mostly solved! Thanks!

Ryall
Thanks for checking it out. Did you try speeding it up or slowing it down?
Hey guys thanks for the great data. Below is a link to one of the clips that gives me problems. This is not the only clip. It is 1080P footage from a GoPro, so it is almost 300mb for the clip. Maybe it is a function of editing this hi-def stuff? I noticed that if I shortened the clip to something really short and applied an effect or time modification, the computer was able to render a preview adequately, but there is no functionality to that. I need to use the whole thing. I did notice that I had issues with the clip whether it was in my full blown project I am working on with tons of other clips involved, or if it was the only clip in the project timeline.

I had no issues with the boats clip, but it is also tiny....

Also, all my source media and project files are on my secondary hard drive. The PD software is on the SSD. Should everything be on one drive? That is a bit unattainable for the source footage, but for the project file that is no sweat. What about shadow files? I have tried on and off. Could differing frame rates among source clips be an issue? Trying to think beyond the hardware box here.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I don't know what I was thinking, I didn't realize this forum allowed attachments!

I ran the Scan and it came back with no issues.

The lack of the GTX770M's presence in the DxDIAG is interesting, as it is definitely installed, and running the latest driver (347.25), which I just updated and confirmed still gives me problems in PD13. It is listed under display devices in the devices manager as well. I am thinking that maybe it is not listed because it is actually turned off when there are no high demand graphics being displayed. It runs and plays games fantastically by the way.

As for the install location of PD13, i didn't realize that could be a culprit. It is currently installed on my SSD (OS hard drive), which I thought would be the best bet for performance. Should I uninstall it, and move it to my secondary hard drive then? MY secondary non-OS drive is your typical 7200 RPM drive, but it has tons of free space.

Any other ideas? Thanks again!!!

I just created a new thread, thanks for asking!
Howdy all,

I have lurked for a while but this is my first post here. I have been at my wits end with PowerDirector ever since upgrading laptops about a year ago. I went from a 4 year old Sager gaming laptop with an AMD graphics card to a now year old Sager gaming laptop with a Nvidia graphics card. Everything about the new computer is faster and better, but PD sure seems to hate NVIDIA cards.

The issue I am having is during editing and producing. While editing, the preview stutters, freezes, and sometimes skips minutes ahead and then freezes solid for about 20 seconds. If there is any sort of crossfade or sped up/slowed down video it really grinds to a halt. I have tried lower resolution previews, reverting to old NVIDIA drivers, old PD13 updates, the new beta PD13 update, turning off/on the hardware acceleration in the PD menu, turning off the graphics card and only using the integrated via the NVIDIA control panel, using only the graphics card via the control panel, turning off the CUDA cores, turning on the CUDA cores, you name it, I have done it. I tried copying those CUDA .dlls into the system menu I saw another member here suggest a while ago. I tried wiping the PC and starting fresh. I literally cant think of anything else to try. Editing is painstaking and miserable. It takes me at least 5 times longer to do anything. Even my old crappy Sony Vegas ran better on a different junk laptop.

For the production error, I cannot get any of the fast video rendering tech to work except for SVRT. Again, same fixes tried above.

I contacted customer support and got a reply, but they have not been much help yet. I was having an weird issue that suddenly popped up where the bloom effect would crash PD13, but the newest beta update fixed that. The tech support guys are still asking me questions about that issue, even though I told then it was resolved, rather than helping with the slow performance of the software.

That being said, I think the best support is probably right here. I have done tons of reading online and it seems like this is a known issue, which really irks me. As far as solutions it really seems like driver roll backs worked for some and not for others. Turning the CUDA cores off help with some of the preview stutters, but did nothing for the big slow downs. Any ideas? Am I stuck with it? Thanks!!!! My system specs are below:

i7-4700MQ 2.4 gHZ
8 GB RAM
Samsung 830 SSD for the OS, 750GB 7200RPM secondary drive for video storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX770M
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Any news? I am thinking of installing the new update, but honestly none of the old or new NVIDIA drivers have fixed my issues with PD13 and my GTX770M.
Go to: