Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 and GeForce Issues SOLVED
WartHawg75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 21:33 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Howdy all,

I have lurked for a while but this is my first post here. I have been at my wits end with PowerDirector ever since upgrading laptops about a year ago. I went from a 4 year old Sager gaming laptop with an AMD graphics card to a now year old Sager gaming laptop with a Nvidia graphics card. Everything about the new computer is faster and better, but PD sure seems to hate NVIDIA cards.

The issue I am having is during editing and producing. While editing, the preview stutters, freezes, and sometimes skips minutes ahead and then freezes solid for about 20 seconds. If there is any sort of crossfade or sped up/slowed down video it really grinds to a halt. I have tried lower resolution previews, reverting to old NVIDIA drivers, old PD13 updates, the new beta PD13 update, turning off/on the hardware acceleration in the PD menu, turning off the graphics card and only using the integrated via the NVIDIA control panel, using only the graphics card via the control panel, turning off the CUDA cores, turning on the CUDA cores, you name it, I have done it. I tried copying those CUDA .dlls into the system menu I saw another member here suggest a while ago. I tried wiping the PC and starting fresh. I literally cant think of anything else to try. Editing is painstaking and miserable. It takes me at least 5 times longer to do anything. Even my old crappy Sony Vegas ran better on a different junk laptop.

For the production error, I cannot get any of the fast video rendering tech to work except for SVRT. Again, same fixes tried above.

I contacted customer support and got a reply, but they have not been much help yet. I was having an weird issue that suddenly popped up where the bloom effect would crash PD13, but the newest beta update fixed that. The tech support guys are still asking me questions about that issue, even though I told then it was resolved, rather than helping with the slow performance of the software.

That being said, I think the best support is probably right here. I have done tons of reading online and it seems like this is a known issue, which really irks me. As far as solutions it really seems like driver roll backs worked for some and not for others. Turning the CUDA cores off help with some of the preview stutters, but did nothing for the big slow downs. Any ideas? Am I stuck with it? Thanks!!!! My system specs are below:

i7-4700MQ 2.4 gHZ
8 GB RAM
Samsung 830 SSD for the OS, 750GB 7200RPM secondary drive for video storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX770M
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
316 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 27. 2015 02:09

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2015 00:08

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2015 00:09

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi WartHawg75

Thanks for the details and for your question on the 347.25 driver page. As you can see, posting the DxDiag results don't work so well and it even looks like the very last part is missing. Can you attach the results as a text file?

Your problems sound severe, and in cases like yours there is typically something wrong with the OS on some level. Please open an Administrator-level command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW and let Windows check its system files. The results will either be "no problems found," "problems found and fixed" or "problems were found that can't be repaired."

Please run that test and let us know what you found along with attaching the DXDiag results. That will give us a lot more info

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2015 22:40

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
One thing that jumps out at me as I look through the details of your posted DXDiag report is that your nVidia card is not mentioned, only the HD Graphics 4600 hardware that's built into your i7 CPU.

If that's accurate (and none of the info from the report got lost between posts), then you'll need to enable the nVidia card in the BIOS/UEFI and/or in Device Manager. The good news is that you have the latest Intel video driver installed, but as far as I can tell your GTX770M is MIA.

Let's see what you come up with after running SFC...

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
hello.

Quote:
Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_15585106&REV_1003
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6870 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 3/26/2013 06:54:54, 3376200 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

your audio driver needs to be updated. Support will tell you that too.

Quote: ]

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 25.6 GB
Total Space: 122.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series SCSI Disk Device

Drive: D:
Free Space: 300.6 GB
Total Space: 715.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD7500BPKX-22HPJ SCSI Disk Device

could use 16 GB System RAM...
you need at least 100GB free space on C:\ if the PD13 is installed there!
you only got 25.6 GB free. PD13 can't go anywhere needing virtual memory...
there's your answer why it is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

welcome to the forum.
WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I don't know what I was thinking, I didn't realize this forum allowed attachments!

I ran the Scan and it came back with no issues.

The lack of the GTX770M's presence in the DxDIAG is interesting, as it is definitely installed, and running the latest driver (347.25), which I just updated and confirmed still gives me problems in PD13. It is listed under display devices in the devices manager as well. I am thinking that maybe it is not listed because it is actually turned off when there are no high demand graphics being displayed. It runs and plays games fantastically by the way.

As for the install location of PD13, i didn't realize that could be a culprit. It is currently installed on my SSD (OS hard drive), which I thought would be the best bet for performance. Should I uninstall it, and move it to my secondary hard drive then? MY secondary non-OS drive is your typical 7200 RPM drive, but it has tons of free space.

Any other ideas? Thanks again!!!

optodata
[Post New]
The free space on your C: drive is fine and you don't need to move PD13. The 100GB is a recommended size but it's not that critical unless your free space gets down to just a few GB.

For example, I have 3 SSDs and one 7200rpm HD. My C: drive SSD is 100GB with only 20GB free and it has all my programs plus a 5.6GB page file (virtual memory) on it. I haven't had any performance issues here, although I'm moving my pagefile to the 4TB D: drive and expanding it to 16GB as I write this. You should do the same which will also free up a few GB on your C: drive.

I'm both glad and disappointed that SFC didn't turn up anything. The good news is that your Windows installation is solid, the bad news is that SFC is the quickest way of fixing serious problems and we'll have to push ahead without it.

My main concern is still that your 770 doesn't appear in the DXDiag even though it's enabled in Device Manager. It should be listed in both or neither. Here are two steps that come to mind:

1) Try disabling the 770 in device manager (you may have to reboot). Run PD13 and see if anything is different. Does it run smoother but slower, about the same, or much better? Next try some video games and see how they compare to what you're used to. If they run much slower then they definitely had access to the 770 before, but if the run just as fast, then the 770 wasn't actually enabled.

2) Next try re-enabling the 770 in Device Manager and repeat those steps. If things haven't sped up noticeably I'd suggest uninstalling it and rebooting, then let your computer "discover" it and add it to the active devices. If there's still no joy, uninstall the card AND delete the driver, then reboot. This time, Windows will have to either automatically download and install the nVidia driver or it will prompt you for the disk. You can also re-run the setup program to re-install the nVidia drivers and this time any lingering nVidia video card/driver issues should be resolved.

The final test beyond testing PD13 and games is to run DxDiag again and make sure that your 770M is present.

Before you try step one, you could also try disabling the Intel HD4600 driver and see what happens - but if the 770 isn't actually working you may end up with no display and you'd have to hit F8 after rebooting and choose "use the last settings that worked" to restore your previous settings.

Does that all make sense? Since your computer seems fine otherwise, let's focus on making sure your two video cards are working correctly and see where that takes you.

Good Luck!

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata

I can't contribute anything much to help WartHawg75 - just wanted to say that whenever I run a DxDiag on my laptop, which has Intel HD4000 & Nvidia GT 740M, the Nvidia card is never listed Display Devices, but further down the page under System Devices.

I've never understood that but, since my laptop runs just fine I haven't bothered about it. The GT 740M is definitely enabled and doing what it has to do.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
G'day Tony!

Well what do you know? I just ran DxDiag on my 8.1 rig with both my 780Ti and HD 4600 GPUs enabled, and in my report the 780Ti shows up twice under Display Devices and there's no HD 4600 there at all! Just like you said, both of them do show up way down under System Devices.

Sure enough, when I looked under System Devices in WartHawg's attached {} DxDiag results, lo and behold I saw the GTX 770M sitting there along with the HD 4600 - so it looks like my "promising" steps may not lead to a fix after all. However, there's no harm in reinstalling the card and driver which wouldcorrect a corrupted driver, so it's still worth doing.

Meanwhile, it looks like your contribution helped after all

Thanks!

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
WartHawg75, can you attach a small sample of a clip you're trying to edit so we can see if anyone else has any trouble with its format? If the clip is too big to attach (I think the limit is 30MB), try putting it in a public folder in OneDrive or DropBox and sharing the link here.

Maybe that will help us narrow down the list of possible issues.

Speaking of narrowing down, do you have any issues if you work with the sample clip that comes with PD13 (boats.wmv), or with Nature.wmv if you have PD12?

YouTube/optodata

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

Glad it helped in some way, at least.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2015 02:20

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey guys thanks for the great data. Below is a link to one of the clips that gives me problems. This is not the only clip. It is 1080P footage from a GoPro, so it is almost 300mb for the clip. Maybe it is a function of editing this hi-def stuff? I noticed that if I shortened the clip to something really short and applied an effect or time modification, the computer was able to render a preview adequately, but there is no functionality to that. I need to use the whole thing. I did notice that I had issues with the clip whether it was in my full blown project I am working on with tons of other clips involved, or if it was the only clip in the project timeline.

I had no issues with the boats clip, but it is also tiny....

Also, all my source media and project files are on my secondary hard drive. The PD software is on the SSD. Should everything be on one drive? That is a bit unattainable for the source footage, but for the project file that is no sweat. What about shadow files? I have tried on and off. Could differing frame rates among source clips be an issue? Trying to think beyond the hardware box here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2015 18:39

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for uploading the clip. I'll give that a try in a couple hours when I get back to my place.

There's no need to worry about moving everything around to put the media on one disk or the other, and you shouldn't have to even think about frame rates, media definition or file sizes as these are well within PD's capabilities.

Let's see what happens with your GoPro clips.

YouTube/optodata

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
WartHawg75

I didn't have any issues with your file in PD12. previewed without any hick-ups.
rendered at 32Mb/sec 1080 60p took 11min 18seconds with my Dell XPS L702X with
Intel HD3000 / GT550M.

I'll be in sidelines.
I, too fly in a DiD EF2000. :
Pepsiman

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 24. 2015 21:51

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
optodata
[Post New]
Yeah, I had no problems previewing or producing the clip either. I could preview it on 2 monitors all the way up to Full HD resolution in real-time, but at that resolution I typically get jitter as frames tend to lag then catch up or overshoot a lot. Using the non-realtime setting smooths out most of the jitter there, and the preview is always smoothest when it's displayed in just the PD window rather than simultaneously on a 2nd monitor.

Producing it to H.264 1920x1080/60p @ 28Mbps resulted in 25.7Mbps in the actual clip, and it took exactly 60 seconds with Fast video rendering and Hardware video encoder both checked (sorry PepsiMan )

I've uploaded it to this shared folder, and you're welcome to download it and see if it runs any differently than the original clip did.

You shouldn't have shadow files turned on at all as your system should be able to handle HD much better without them. The rest of my relevant settings are as follows:

Hardware Acceleration = Enable OpenCL and Enable hardware decoding both checked
Produce = Reduce video blocky artifacts and Reduce video noise both checked; Allow SVRT on single IDR unchecked

One other thing you can try is to install multiAVCHD and see if that makes any difference. The details are all in this thread, although they didn't help the OP there (his problem was solved by reinstalling the video drivers).

This is also a bit of a long shot, but some people have had problems if they have nVidia's "3D Vision Controller" or its driver installed. If you run the video driver setup program again, choose Custom and uncheck the 3D vision and Miracast boxes unless you absolutely know you need them.

It's OK to install the Graphics Driver, HD Audio and PhysX software, and it's probably OK to install/keep the GeForce Experience app if you find it useful. In your case, you might also want to check the Perform a clean installation box unless you've spent a lot of time creating custom nVidia profiles and don't want to recreate them.

I know this is a lot to digest, but we'll know more about the issue once you get through these things.

YouTube/optodata

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for checking it out. Did you try speeding it up or slowing it down?
optodata
[Post New]
Ah, now I see something! If I drop the original clip in the timeline and try speeding it up to 32x, using real-time preview it plays for about second and then freezes after displaying a few frames. It doesn't freeze if I use non real-time mode, but it takes about 28 seconds to get through the whole clip, even though its actual playing length is only 2.27 seconds and it will take even longer on your hardware

I get a similar response using my produced (.m2ts) clip AND when using PD12, so this isn't something unique to PD13 or to your source clip.

Based on what I'm seeing, this seems to be a case of asking too much to get anything close to real-time performance out of even high-end hardware, and the easiest (least frustrating) approach is probably to do one step at a time and produce afterwards.

For example, I was able to produce the clip to 32x in 32 seconds, so it took roughly half the time to produce the full clip at normal speed. I could then place that clip in the timeline and it previews exactly like you'd want it to

In other words, here's how to get through this project: Set up your speed change and produce that to a high quality output. PD13 will automatically load that clip when you reenter the editing room, then place that clip in the timeline and do the next step in your editing process, produce that, repeat. I'm guessing that not only will this one-step-at-a-time approach be quicker, it will actually be enjoyable

Ok, maybe not quite enjoyable, but certainly a vast improvement over pulling your hair out in never-ending agony. I certainly hope so!

YouTube/optodata