Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have an extensive movie library (VOB files from DVDs stored in separate folders on 24TB of RAID5 hard drive disc array) and PDVD14 loses the library info pretty consistently on my 3770K + AMD 7970 two-year-old system. Pretty annoying and tedious uninstalling and then reinstalling 14 and then have it lose the media info the next reboot. So until tech support comes up with a working fix, I uninstalled and went back to 13 which works great so far with my BD discs and DVDs (both on discs and on the hard drive array). I don't have a 4K display anyway so not much in 14 other than the promise of smoother playback for me. Spent too much time on the media library issue to compare it to 13's playback anyway..
PS - forgot to mention that I saw in another thread about renaming the movie art in each folder as "folder.jpg" for supposedly enabling PDVD to find and use the correct cover art. So I tried it on a couple movies but it didn't work. Might try experimenting with different naming schemes "movie.jpg", etc if I find the time.
Update - tech support had to kick my issue to the next level, so no resolution of my library media issues so far. In the meantime, I uninstalled PDVD14 and ran the registry cleaner for it and then reinstalled PDVD13 - no problems - and despite my fear of having to rebuild my entire library, somehow or somewhere 13 found the file so I had all of my 2K movies reappear. Perhaps it was running a system restore that I did right before installing the PDVD14 "upgrade".

So I will continue happily using 13 while Cyberlink sorts out the issues with 14. In fact, not sure why I bothered to "upgrade" at all at this point - I only have a 1080P TV anyway, and don't plan to buy a 4K display anytime in the near future. Guess I bought into the hype about smoother and better playback, but PDVD14 didn't work so I can't tell whether any differences from 13 or not.

I hate spending my hard-earned money supporting beta development, but I understand there may be compatibility issues although my hardware is only 2 years old. So I'll give Cyberlink a week or two more before requesting a refund.
I have a similar issue with both my music and my movie libraries - after loading part of my music library, it quit. And it only showed the "preparing the media library" screen message for most of an entire day. I gave up, uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and then only permitted it to search my movie library. This worked, although slowly, and after a whole day it only got up to maybe half my movies (2K - I know, a lot but I have a 24TB RAID 5 disc array). So I quit and shut down the computer, and the next day when I loaded up PDVD14 - no movies at all and back to the "preparing the media library" screen, for about 4 hours until I gave it up as a bad job.

Contacted Cyberlink tech support and sent them a bunch of screen shots after updating to the latest versions of PDVD14 and all drivers for my i7-3770K system with AMD 7970 graphics card - no resolution. The last message I got (over a week ago) was that they had to kick it up to the next level. In the meantime I uninstalled PDVD14 and went back to 13, which had no problems. Will give them another week or so before I ask for a refund of my purchase.. Have no idea what changes they made in 14 from 13, but it seems like compatibility with certain systems is an issue.
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know of any automated cover art programs.

I had ~2000 movies (VOB files plus an RTF synopsis plus a cover image) stored in separate folders on 12 TB of disk space, and spent a good number of hours updating and correcting the thumbnails on the movie tab under the media files section on PowerDVD13. Then I made the mistake of "upgrading" to PowerDVD14, which promptly erased the entire PowerDVD13 installation folders including the cached movie database information files. Thanks for nothing Cyberlink! So then I started the tedious process of PDVD14 searching all my movie folders and rebuilding the movie file database. I was about halfway through when I quit for the evening, the next morning I booted up and launched PDVD14 and it had lost all the database information from the day before, although I had added all the location folders and they were still listed as such. Then PDVD14 got stuck on the "Preparing the media library" step and remained there for over an hour until I turned it off in disgust.

Contacted tech support and they told me to upgrade to the latest update, which I did, still same "Preparing.." screen. So I exited, uninstalled PDVD14 and then reinstalled it from scratch plus the update. That seemed to work so I started adding in all my movies once again, got halfway through and then started getting "Cyberlink media parser sandbox server has stopped working" error message popping up more and more frequently. I'd either click the Close program button or X out of the message. When PDVD14 finished I went back and checked - many movies were missing. Guess those were the ones where the sandbox server quit. So I closed out PDVD and rebooted, launched it again and now all my movie files are missing once again and PDVD is stuck on the "Preparing.." screen. I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit on a 3770K Ivy Bridge system, 16GB memory, AMD 7970 video card, all latest drivers and Win updates incl. SP1, so I don't think the hardware or software is the problem.

I'll give PDVD14 one last shot with tech support, then I'm going to ask for a refund and go back to PDVD13. This alpha-level of quality is ridiculous..
Hi, I plan to upgrade my computer's SSD drive so I will be reinstalling Win 7 and all my apps such as PowerDVD13. Is there anything special I should do first, such as uninstall PowerDVD13? It will be used on the same computer and only that computer.
Hi Sri and thanks for your reply. Yes, everything is connected via HDMI 1.4 cables for 3D compatibility. I also updated all the drivers, but will check out the Intel Display Audio as you suggested. However as I mentioned Windows Media Center has no problem playing back the audio on the Yahama AV system. So obviously the hardware and software is working - just wonder why PDVD13 cannot see it - doesn't it use the Windows drivers and configuration settings?

I will post my question about deactivating PDVD13 to a tech support - don't want to risk having to buy it all over again like I did with Adobe Photoshop .

I'm also considering running an HDMI cable from the 2nd HDMI port on my AMD HD7970 graphics card directly to the Yamaha (it has 5 HDMI inputs plus 2 HDMI outputs), and bypassing the Intel GPU and Asus mobo HDMI port entirely. Will let you know how that turns out as well.
Hi, I have an issue with PowerDVD13 not detecting my Yamaha RX-V773 AV receiver with 7.1 surround sound. All it sees is the PC running Win7 64 and the Realtek onboard audio or the SoundBlaster Recon3D sound card. I have the Realtek connected to a 2.1 computer sound system, the SB to a 5.1 headphone, and the Yamaha connected via the Asus mobo and Intel 3770K with HD4K graphics and audio output. Windows Media Center finds the Yamaha and plays back my movie collection in 5.1 or 7.1 just fine. However PowerDVD does not see it so I either play back audio via the 2.1 PC speakers or the 5.1 headphones.

I'm thinking of uninstalling PowerDVD13, then reinstalling it with the Yamaha turned on so that hopefully PDVD will discover it. I bought PDVD directly from Cyberlink and registered it, so I have the purchase email with the activation code. Anyway, sorry for the long intro, but my question is - do I have to deactivate it from Cyberlink (like you have to do with Adobe Photoshop - it only permits 2 activations without deactivating it beforehand), or can I just uninstall then reinstall with the activation codes?

TIA
Hi, first post in the forums, but I agree with the above poster - Moovie info is often amusingly incorrect. What I have found however is that (in classic mode at least) it will let you click "Not the right movie?" and then give you a list of choices as to the correct movie. If it doesn't list the movie, you have the option of contributing to the Moovie database with the correct info, although the only time I tried this, it didn't seem to like my choices. I'm not going to spend a lot of time figuring out the correct commands/syntax/quirks for Moovie info however - either make it dead simple to use or switch to IMDB or Netflix or Amazon or some other movie info database with 100K+ movies so as to improve the choices.

If there isn't any info listed at all (which happens with a bunch of older movies - I suspect Moovie info has a small database), you don't get any option that I can see to upload a description.

Also, I don't really care about the screenwriters, etc - just the principle actors, director, year, genre, average rating, length and brief synopsis. A lot of the Moovie info descriptions read like short, amateur novellas - nobody is going to go through all that description when deciding what movies to watch. 1-2 sentences like what you see on Amazon or Netflix is more than sufficient, thanks.
Go to: