Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improvements in v13's features?
[Post New]
I'd appreciate advice. I'm curious about version 14, and trying to assess whether there is any reason for me to upgrade from PDVD Ultra 13.

I'm not aware of any features missing from v13 that I personally would use — I have no need myself for the mobile or media management capabilities — so I don't think I need v14, but I don't want to be too hasty about it. I use v13 mostly to play BDs on my computer, so I have no immediate need for support for the new media formats either.

But is there anything I've missed? I'd be grateful for opinions, especially if there are improvements in the performance of existing features that I really should take note of.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Here's the sticky:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/38221.page
The beta version of 14 also enables AMD Fluid Motion Video, if you have the right hardware, and I am still working on what hardware this is.

Use 13 until a Blu-ray comes along that won't play _ use the trial od 14 to see of it solves the problem and then buy an upgrade key.
[Post New]
Thanks for that, Jeff.

I did look at all the brochures and promo pages before I posted — lists often don't mean much to me, written as they generally are in marketingspeak, and what does "improved" really mean in terms of subjective experience? — So I was just wondering if there was any noticeable improvement in the performance aspects of the software with the new version. I take it from your reply that the answer is "no". :
[Post New]
I have an extensive movie library (VOB files from DVDs stored in separate folders on 24TB of RAID5 hard drive disc array) and PDVD14 loses the library info pretty consistently on my 3770K + AMD 7970 two-year-old system. Pretty annoying and tedious uninstalling and then reinstalling 14 and then have it lose the media info the next reboot. So until tech support comes up with a working fix, I uninstalled and went back to 13 which works great so far with my BD discs and DVDs (both on discs and on the hard drive array). I don't have a 4K display anyway so not much in 14 other than the promise of smoother playback for me. Spent too much time on the media library issue to compare it to 13's playback anyway..