Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks Tony. I'm wondering though.... I saved a video clip using the wmv format.... and someone with a Windows laptop could not "play" it..... is wmv a format that everyone *should* be able to play if they have an Windows OS?

Thanks for the advice...

Hi good people!

I am looking to create a video clip of say, 3-5 minutes in length which I can produce in a small enough file format to send to friends and family via email....

How can I do this? It seems like the options are all larger format, with the exception of Facebook and YouTube...but those link directly the respective sites....any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Thanks for the suggestion Kevin - and nice job Tony!!

My only thought is that I really wanted to use the 'chrome' appearing Camaro logo I created in Photoshop..... but that is a great alternative.

I've adjusted the timing a bit on my "Wipe Right/Soft" effect, so I think I'll keep that.... however, I think I will put a visual of the Camaro fading in the background that I have designed a new Graphics Striping kit for.... I'll post it up as I get this first segment re-tweaked. I like what you did with the imagery.

Good suggestions guys - thanks again!!

Toddsta
Thank you for your help guys - and my apologies for comparing a competing program..... guess I was a bit frustrated and all I could reference was another program that I was familiar with.

Regarding the transition: Say I had my "Camaro" tiff on a black background, imported as a media file from Photoshop ... and I wanted a relatively *short* segment of that, per the file I uploaded and posted in my earlier post.

Say I also wanted to use the *Wipe Right/soft" transition on the short segment of the Camaro clip - per my earlier attachement....BUT I wanted the Camaro letters to appear to be wiped into appearing from left-to-right as in the clip, except over the FULL duration of that first clip - NOT HALF - as is the default with PD8. That is where my comparison came in with the *other* program, I guess as a way to reference what I was looking for, and knew to be available in the *other* program.

I've been working more with PD8 since my last post, and am catching on to a few things, so I'm just going to keep at it - as suggested - and hopefully draw on the generosity of kind and patient people like you two to rescue me when I can't figure something out...

Thanks guys for your assistance - I sincerely appreciate your help.
Oh... while I'm thinking on this:

Why does the following occur?

If I click my cursor in an 'empty' area of any of the timeline strips, effects will randomly disappear off the main track, or completely rearrange themselves?

AND.... is there a spot where you can have an easy access to a "Fade in" and "Fade out" ? In Adobe Premier, these common functions are always at your disposal with a right-click of the mouse, and by default fade in from black or out to black....which to me is a very typical function you would want to have readily available without digging through a ton of effects. Same goes for volume - Premier has a "fade audio in/ fade audio out" available as a right mouse click. Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks again for your patience with a somewhat frustrated newbie to PD8.
Hi guys - I understand what you're saying, however.... I got to tell you - that's a fairly significant limitation IMO. In Premier you have full control over the duration of a transition ..... it's not constrained to "half" a video clip...to not be able to do so really limits creativity in my opinion because there are times (like the sample I provided) when you want a quick video clip...but need a long transition over it.

I just doubled the length of the video clips in PD8.... and the soft wipe to the right STILL occurs as quickly as when it was half the length (the time from the beginning of the word becoming visible to completion of the word being visible)....AND... by lengthening the first video clip.... it becomes too long. You sit and watch it waiting for the Glow to come in, when I want the sparkles followed by a quick glow like the one I posted above - the exception being, I'd prefer to have the soft/right wipe , wipe more s-l-o-w-l-y to reveal the Camaro logo....

I'd have to say Premier is way more flexible in that regard..... ( I would have gotten the latest Premier actually, but then read a LOT of reviews about it having mega crash problems - which is why I thought I'd try another software app)

Not saying I hate this program, I think it has some excellent potential... and I will keep plugging along - hopefully learning more of the intricacies as I go.

I do note that the "help" files are virtually worthless - one sentence vagueness under just about every topic.

Thanks for listening...
Everything is so "abrupt." I am used to Premier Elements where you can draw a transition over a section of video and it fades away nicely over the specified time on top of the video..... this is just like: Transition/ clunk/video, Transition/ clunk/ video.....Plus, the "duration" seems to have no effect at all on the duration of any given transition....

Obviously I am not 'getting it.' I included the file I'm messing with if it helps... thanks peeps!

Toddsta
Sorry guys! I was a real dunce.... I forgot to hook up my 'firewire' cable from the docking station to the computer ..... sorry! But thanks for your quick advice!
I have a Sony Mini DV camcorder; Model DCR-HC46.

I have this camcorder hooked up via USB from it's docking station to my computer.

I am simply trying to "Capture" the video when I hit the *play* button on the camcorder - by selecting the *Capture* function in PowerDirector 8.

It seems like there is a tab for a DV recorder - but it's 'grayed-out'.... unselectable...

How am I supposed to even get my video into the software if it won't detect my camera????
That sounds exactly like what I'm after Kevin.... thanks for describing that in such detail - it made a big difference! I'm used to Adobe Premier Elements and it works a bit different.... so, now that I feel like that is solved, I'm going to buy the program....

Thanks again!!

Toddsta
Hi Kevin! Thank you for taking the time to post a solution....

However, I'm still a little foggy after watching the video link .... are you saying that 'color boards' can be used as a transition 'spacer' between a transition and the actual start of the video content?

Sorry.... still not quite getting it. Will color boards let me 'move' my main video section down the timeline? That's what I'm after.... thanks.

Toddsta
: Probably a stupid question... but I am new to PowerDirector... I've been using Adobe Premier Elements....

Question: After importing my video onto the timeline... I notice that I cannot manually 'move' the start location of the video.[/b][/i]

Subsequently, when I insert a 'Title' in front of the video, and stretch the time duration that the title displays - it overlaps the main video.....cutting out a substantial amount of the beginning of the video/audio keyframes.

I understand that this is probably the result of stretching out the 'Title' over the video...however, I want to MOVE the start of the video further to the right, down the timeline so that I keep the expanded duration of my 'Title'.... AND keep the beginning sequences of my video .

Does this make sense?

The main video seems "locked-in-place"..... I try to drag it to the right...and it just WILL NOT MOVE.

Please refer to the attached file for a visual of what I'm talking about....

Help??!! Thanks.
Go to: