Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I move the 'start' position of an imported video on the timeline?
Toddsta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2010 12:18 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
: Probably a stupid question... but I am new to PowerDirector... I've been using Adobe Premier Elements....

Question: After importing my video onto the timeline... I notice that I cannot manually 'move' the start location of the video.[/b][/i]

Subsequently, when I insert a 'Title' in front of the video, and stretch the time duration that the title displays - it overlaps the main video.....cutting out a substantial amount of the beginning of the video/audio keyframes.

I understand that this is probably the result of stretching out the 'Title' over the video...however, I want to MOVE the start of the video further to the right, down the timeline so that I keep the expanded duration of my 'Title'.... AND keep the beginning sequences of my video .

Does this make sense?

The main video seems "locked-in-place"..... I try to drag it to the right...and it just WILL NOT MOVE.

Please refer to the attached file for a visual of what I'm talking about....

Help??!! Thanks.
[Thumb - just vid.jpg]
 Filename
just vid.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Toddsta, And Welcome to the forum.

Power Director uses an item called Color Boards on the timeline to fill in areas around video and stills.

Here is a short video tutorial to show you where to find Color Boards and a couple of ways to use them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/9/38k4Y7k1wiU

Good Luck with your editing!

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Toddsta [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin! Thank you for taking the time to post a solution....

However, I'm still a little foggy after watching the video link .... are you saying that 'color boards' can be used as a transition 'spacer' between a transition and the actual start of the video content?

Sorry.... still not quite getting it. Will color boards let me 'move' my main video section down the timeline? That's what I'm after.... thanks.

Toddsta
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hey again Toddsta!!

are you saying that 'color boards' can be used as a transition 'spacer' between a transition and the actual start of the video content?

Yes color boards can. Just increase the duration of the inserted color board to "Push" the video clip further down the Timeline. So try to visualize this setup on your Main Timeline.

Let's say you want your FIRST video clip to begin 10 seconds into your project and you might want to have an opening TITLE displayed prior to that fisrt video clip playing.

Step 1, you begin with an empty Timeline

Step 2, Drag a Black Color Board to the Timeline, and it will sit at the start.

Step 3, Select the Color Board on the timeline and increase the duration to 10 seconds.

Step 4. Place your video clips after the color board on the timeline.

Step 5. Add your transitions if desired between the color board and the video clips.

Step 6. Create and place your Title on the title track directly beneath the Color Board.

Hopefully this will help. Let me know if it doesn't.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2010 17:15

Toddsta [Avatar]
[Post New]
That sounds exactly like what I'm after Kevin.... thanks for describing that in such detail - it made a big difference! I'm used to Adobe Premier Elements and it works a bit different.... so, now that I feel like that is solved, I'm going to buy the program....

Thanks again!!

Toddsta
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hey Toddsta,

Thanks for the feedback, as you never know if the description is helping or clearly understood. So I appreciate your positive words.

I hope you enjoy working with Power Director and we look forward to helping you in the future if you happen to need some assistance.

Regards,

Kevin
Captainjwl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2009 02:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin, thank you so much for posting this solution. I was going nutty trying to figure out how to insert in front of the main video. Thanks again.