Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stuck on step 1 - How do I "Capture" video directly from my Camcorder?
Toddsta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2010 12:18 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Sony Mini DV camcorder; Model DCR-HC46.

I have this camcorder hooked up via USB from it's docking station to my computer.

I am simply trying to "Capture" the video when I hit the *play* button on the camcorder - by selecting the *Capture* function in PowerDirector 8.

It seems like there is a tab for a DV recorder - but it's 'grayed-out'.... unselectable...

How am I supposed to even get my video into the software if it won't detect my camera????
[Post New]
Don't qoute me but I'm pretty sure the USB is for uploading images only.
You will need a firewire connection to upload video.

I have an older sony cam and thats how I get video up.

PowerDirector finds it fine.
If your computer doesn't have Firewire you can buy a firewire card for an empty PCI slot.

Hope this helps
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Todd -

FannBlade is right - you need to capture via a firewire cable - not USB (assumng you've recorded to tape).

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Toddsta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2010 12:18 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry guys! I was a real dunce.... I forgot to hook up my 'firewire' cable from the docking station to the computer ..... sorry! But thanks for your quick advice!