Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I "produce" a video in PD8 that is small enough to email??
Toddsta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2010 12:18 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hi good people!

I am looking to create a video clip of say, 3-5 minutes in length which I can produce in a small enough file format to send to friends and family via email....

How can I do this? It seems like the options are all larger format, with the exception of Facebook and YouTube...but those link directly the respective sites....any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Toddsta -

There's a great range of .WMV formats that will give you file sizes suitable for email.

A 300MB clip can be compressed to about 2MB using the right profile.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - WMV.jpg]
 Filename
WMV.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Toddsta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2010 12:18 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. I'm wondering though.... I saved a video clip using the wmv format.... and someone with a Windows laptop could not "play" it..... is wmv a format that everyone *should* be able to play if they have an Windows OS?

Thanks for the advice...

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's odd, Toddsta...

WMV means Windows Media Video

It can be played on most standard media players on a PC.
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Another option is "Dropio".
A free service from Yahoo. Can I mention that?
"Dropio" features a 100 mb limit on free accounts.
Create a file of less than 100 mb. Load it onto "Dropio", then compose your email.
VERY HANDY. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I ran Window's Update a few months ago and Media Player will no longer play WMV, or much of anything else, so I use VLC Player. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Jamie wrote:
I ran Window's Update a few months ago and Media Player will no longer play WMV...
Hmm? I’ve never had a .wmv file that wouldn’t play in Media Player (which is my default player).
I mean why would Microsoft come out with an update to their Windows Media Player, that causes it to not be able to play their .wmv (Windows Media Video) files?

As far as streaming video in an email, the best profiles I’ve ever found/used, are the 640x360 and 464x260 16:9 WMV Templates created by our moderator Dafydd, that are available in the Extras section of SeeMyWorldOnVideo.
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/index.php
Excellent audio and video quality at small file sizes. A 5 minute video might be pushing it with these templates. But a 3 minute minute video will usually come in (depending on the source media) at under 10MB. Which is perfect for a streaming attachments to an email.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know that the update caused the problem. That's the last change I made before I noticed the problem, but I also don't use Media Player often at all. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM