Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
To those who have upgraded from 17 to 18
Is it worth it? Are there enough new features in PD18 to make the upgrade worthwhile?

Been using PD17 since it came out and very satisfied.

Very cool, where? Do I search for LUT for PD or is there a certain type of LUT I need to look for? I will give this a try when I find out what kind are compatible with PD. Thanks for the response!

Any .cube or .log LUT will work with PD17.

Search for IWLTBAP free LUTS.

Check this out:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/129-free-cinematic-luts

OK, so the included LUT package slows the system down but why? I guess i'm glad to know it's not just me but then it makes me wonder why PD would not fix this issue. Seems like kind of a big one when the included LUTs bog the system down to a crawl? I like PD but this may be a deal breaker. I use LUTs quite a bit. Was this an issue on previous versions of PD or just PD 17?

If anyone has found a good work around for this please let me now, hopefully PD will correct the issue soon!

You can find a bunch of free LUTs online. And they work great.
Quote Hello,

I just installed PD 17 and was trying to edit a dashcam video to get familiar with the software. The video clip is 1080p and 60 frames per sec (i think). When I apply any LUT to the clip the playback window shows signficant slow down, almost as if I have applied some type of slow motion effect. My rendering times are equally slowed down. I can apply some color correction manually (ie contrast or expsosure) without any slow down of any kind. I have tried changing the viewing resolution of the playback window but even with it set to the lowest setting it still just slowly putters along. I have shadow files turned on and off, makes no difference. My computer is an I7 (8 cores) running at 4Ghz, 32gb ram, Nvidia GTX 1070, data drive is an SSD. Here are my results using different settings on my export:

Test Video (2:28 total time, 1080P 60frames)
1 - no edits, small title added to the beginning of video. Render time 1 min 43 seconds
2 - minor exposure and color change manually, same title. Render time was the same 1:43
3 - one color lut (70's look), same title. Render time was 12 minutes 20 seconds

There must be a setting I have set somewhere that it doesn't like. If I do this same file, color grading in Davinci Resolve, the LUT changed immediatly and export times are all the same (fast)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

This happens to me when I use the included "presets" in PD17. But NOT when I use a LUT (CLUT)

As usual I agree with ynotfish. laughing

You need to set you camera settings to create a flat image profile. If you're using a DSLR, Mirrorless, or Cinema camera you can adjust the sharpness (0), contrast (0), and saturation (2 - 3 steps down) to create a flat image. Then you can apply color corrections in PD using the available tools to create the look you want.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it. Maybe you could put together a tutorial on getting the "film look".
Just an idea thanks again.
Quote Hi JOF -

Apples & oranges... illustrated by the comparative $$$.

PDR doesn't have adjustment layers like Pr, so you certainly couldn't replicate that sort of workflow.

Given that the footage is shot well, & with the right adjustments, and perhaps LUTs, there is a lot you can do in PDR to get "the look" you want.

Aside from the obvious differences in the software, PDR facilitates using blending (shown in the Pr tutorial) which can also be used to enhance video.

Cheers - Tony

I've been trying to get that FLAT look as in film, but so far no luck.
Thanks.
Is something like this possible with PowerDirector 17?

https://vimeo.com/169517711

You haven't told us which version of PD you have, and different packages come with different effects.

There is a standard effect called Fine Noise that's included with every package, and some PD versions will also have BorisFX Film Style, which has several FX that may accomplish your goal.

I'm using PD17. and yes I've tried the Fine Noise effect but it doesn't work. I've been using several LUTs which work pretty well, but I was curious if anyone has used the FilmConvert product here. Thank you all.

Is it listed as being compatible? Isn't it more of a modifier for plug-ins?

Why do you need it?

For best result, tell us more.

Put as much time into your question as you expect the person replying to spend providing the answer.

FIlmConvert is a Film Emulation plug-in. It is designed to emulate the color and grain of popular film stocks from Kodak and Fuji.
Is this plug-in usable in PowerDirector 17?
Go to: