Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color grading in PD17
JOF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2019 01:38 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Is something like this possible with PowerDirector 17?

https://vimeo.com/169517711
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JOF -

Apples & oranges... illustrated by the comparative $$$.

PDR doesn't have adjustment layers like Pr, so you certainly couldn't replicate that sort of workflow.

Given that the footage is shot well, & with the right adjustments, and perhaps LUTs, there is a lot you can do in PDR to get "the look" you want.

Aside from the obvious differences in the software, PDR facilitates using blending (shown in the Pr tutorial) which can also be used to enhance video.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JOF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi JOF -

Apples & oranges... illustrated by the comparative $$$.

PDR doesn't have adjustment layers like Pr, so you certainly couldn't replicate that sort of workflow.

Given that the footage is shot well, & with the right adjustments, and perhaps LUTs, there is a lot you can do in PDR to get "the look" you want.

Aside from the obvious differences in the software, PDR facilitates using blending (shown in the Pr tutorial) which can also be used to enhance video.

Cheers - Tony

I've been trying to get that FLAT look as in film, but so far no luck.
Thanks.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

I've been trying to get that FLAT look as in film, but so far no luck.
Thanks.

As usual I agree with ynotfish. laughing

You need to set you camera settings to create a flat image profile. If you're using a DSLR, Mirrorless, or Cinema camera you can adjust the sharpness (0), contrast (0), and saturation (2 - 3 steps down) to create a flat image. Then you can apply color corrections in PD using the available tools to create the look you want. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
JOF [Avatar]
[Post New]

As usual I agree with ynotfish. laughing

You need to set you camera settings to create a flat image profile. If you're using a DSLR, Mirrorless, or Cinema camera you can adjust the sharpness (0), contrast (0), and saturation (2 - 3 steps down) to create a flat image. Then you can apply color corrections in PD using the available tools to create the look you want.

Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it. Maybe you could put together a tutorial on getting the "film look".
Just an idea thanks again.