Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have started using PD14 Live and just the other day commented to Cyberlink how delighted I am with the significantly increased speed in posting the edited PHD7 photo imported back to PowerDirector. Hours later I discovered something unusual. When I go back to edit the photo some more, PHD7 couldn't find that photo! I could import another copy from the folder where it should be, and it is OK. But if I return to edit it again, again PhotoDirector says it can't find it.

I have checked the preferences and played with them. Nothing helps. I uninstalled both PD and PHD and reinstalled. No change.

What I did do, to test out PD14, was to copy an unfinished PD13 .psd file from my PD13 folder and pasted it into my new PD14 folder. I thought perhaps the links to photos for that project got screwed up. But why on earth would it find my photo the first time, and not the second time or thereafter.

I just tried using a fresh copy of the PD13 file in my PD13 folder. I can open photos from PD14 using PH7, but when I go to others, and then return to the first photo, PHD7 suddenly says "this photo is missing, Click on the locate or remove icon to handle this photo." Nothing seems to happen when I do either. I then X-out to return to PD14.

I use this feature on most of each of like 300 photos in a project and the increased speed of return is wonderful! But sometimes I need to return to the photos to make this editing feature useful!

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas.

Bill
Thanks for such a quick response! I was really excited to follow up on this. Unfortunately that made no difference. Sigh.
I'm working on 3000 scanned slides imported into PD. After I moved photos in better order, I broke up the large file into about a dozen smaller projects belonging to the same subject. Suddenly I realized many photos did not belong in their respective groups.

BUT . . . when I clicked on an offending photo, it displayed correctly in the playback view. I tried all sorts of ways to correct this, including the removal from the timeline and the library, saving, leaving PD and returning, and even rebooting. Each time I imported again the correct photo, but the same wrong photo displayed in library and timeline, while the correct photo appeared in the playback viewer.

My only recourse is to make a copy of the photo with a different name, import it, and place it in the timeline. I must have 100 photos in this situation. And I won't know which ones need correction until I click on them as I am editing. Sigh. This is discouraging. If I could easily rename the photo without much work, I'd be happy. But I have to leave PD each time as I can't rename or edit a photo when the photo is in use in PD. Other past photo show software allowed me to edit a photo, which would immediately appear in the open timeline.

Does anyone have a solution for this PowerDirector Live problem?
Thanks for your concern. Without being able to replicate this, I guess I'll have to defer. I have concluded that importing like 100 photos, and editing them one at a time, eventually causes the problem where PhotoDirector stops responding. I seem to be able to navigate, but can't make adjustments. Reverting to PD5 bypasses the problem. Sometimes in invoking PD6 via PowerDirector, it will release it from this problem. Sometimes not. Other times, it will just be in a wait state - the spinning icon - trying to fully display the current photo . Days later for some unknown reason it resolves itself and I use PD5 in the meantime. I did look at my 16GB Ram once and found it was only about 50% full. Sigh.
I checked PhotoDIrector 6 again, and it now responds in stand-alone AND when invoked by PowerDirector Live. This stand-alone non-response has happened before and it resolved itself by my going into PDL, invoke PD6, and then leaving PDL, and trying the standalone PhotoDirector again.

What I reported a week ago was that trick did not work after even doing it several times. Now, a week later, I did the same. Both standalone and via PDL now work properly. Go figure. Confucius say, "Problem that go away by itself, come back by itself."
No. I'm aware of this concern, but I don't know of such an uninstaller. Is there one available online?

Thanks for your suggestion!
I've really enjoyed the Live version of the PowerDirector. But just recently I found that PhotoDirector 6 will function OK when invoking from PowerDirector. BUT when I open it as stand-alone, it opens, allows me to rotate the photo, but no other adjustments work. A couple of times the same problem also appeared via PowerDirector, but it has come back. Meanwhile, PhotoDirector 5 works fine during all this time and I've had to continue with it as I adjust - to easily, to my delight - my 2500 scanned 35mm slides of Europe from the 1960s.

I uninstalled PhotoDirector 6 and re-installed it via the Cyberlink Application Manager. No change in function and any adjustments still do not respond in the standalone version.

I contacted Tech Support, and I'm into the familiar "send us the SR-number and the Dxdiag" which leads to a lot of work before getting down to solving the problem.

Did anyone confront this problem and come up with a solution? It would really save me a lot of time compared to the Tech Support route.
As I work on a project, I use a lot of magic motion before I transition from that one photo to the next. Usually, at some point, I realize I have to adjust the photo quality in the series of photos. If I go to PhotoDirector and import, say, a series of 6 photos and each have now have magic motion applied, the photo quality changes I try to make are denied when I save - the photos are locked. I have to leave PowerDirector completely to make and save those changes. Then when I open up the PD project again, it will pick up those changes and retain the original magic motion.

Isn't there a way to bypass this, or place another 6 edited photos on a track below, then copy the magic motion attributes and paste them on the original 6 photos above? This is really a pain. Other video show products allow one to make changes to the original library photo and the edits appear immediately on those timeline photos.

Has anyone solved this? Shouldn't this be a feature?

Bill
Well, it saves money when they replace their system test function with all of us users out here doing the testing instead. I think they should run each update by me first before they release it. If it's there, I'll stumble across it, usually when I'm in a rush to finish a project.
For several versions of PD, I have dealt with the small window popping up to alert me that PD is importing a photo from PhotoDirector. Eventually it disappeared as I took other edit steps. But now it remains there and gets in the way. Annoying.

Question: has anyone seen the same thing? Is it something I am doing wrong, or is it a "known" bug that nobody cares to fix? I think it also happens in other edit steps with similar windows popping up and not going away.

Bill
Thanks, Mircea. With your comment, I was about to do the same. Then I puzzled over how PowerDirector Suite Live allowed uninstalling and re-installing PhotoDirector 6. In that process, I noticed an update to PhotoDirector 6 was available. I did that first. Now PhotoDirector works as I expected. Some day in the future I will answer the question I posed, although I hope that need will not come up.
I've been a happy person using PhotoDirector 6 until today. It works fine via PowerDirector, but suddenly it will not work in stand-alone use. I open it up, the PhotoDirector 6 logo appears and spins, and the initial screen appears. But the logo and spin will not stop and go away. And when clicking on any of the tabs at upper left, it will not respond. The only way to stop this is to kill PhotoDirector in the Task Manager.

Yet accessing PhotoDirector via PowerDirector is no problem. I need to work on several dozen photos and don't care to do them one at a time via PowerDirector. And I tried my left over PhotoDirector 5, and it works correctly as stand alone operation. What did I do wrong? Or is it a bug in PhotoDirector 6?

Bill
I've determined one of my sources of problems. I currently have a 12-minute project that I had largely pre-rendered for good resolution to see while I add like 50 short narration clips. At about 2 minutes into the show, the music and narration dropped out.

I checked my ADM System Monitor and, as other times, my 16GB of RAM went to 93% full which I know started off at about 14% at the beginning. A month ago I replaced my 8GB RAM when the same thing was happening. I conclude that if I had 64GB, the same thing would happen.

Then I copied the whole project to New Workspace to leave behind the pre-rendered work, as it always drops away, and the problem clears with much faster save and narration responses.

Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

Bill
I thought of something like that. But why must we have to do all this extra stuff just to have a "normal" job done? Geez!

Other products do this simple job perfectly. Unfortunately, PowerDirector has so many other great features that I can't leave it for another product.
I've gone through so many changes as the Forum and Tech Support give me conflicting solutiion information. Supposedly shadow files helps reduce the work - and time - it takes to process editing. Because I don't have a high resolution monitor and I only burn DVDs, they suggested using the Shadow Files option.

But I have a lot of side effects with each option. Currently, when I use Preview Rendering, it affects my background music - why? It changes my music level, either erratically, or fixes it at full volume. I have to fiddle with it to make the controls even work again. Sometimes I have to remove that music and bring in a new copy. It's always something.

I often pre-render to have a smooth-running preview on my large HDTV. If I'm not careful, I'll burn a final DVD with these audio glitches - surprises I don't need when I share at senior centers.
Carl, this IS my LAST comment on this topic: The divided project now processes my narrations down from about 35 seconds down to seconds. YES! But now the quick saves jumped up to 17 or more seconds.

Just now I noticed that the green bar for marking Preview Rendered parts were retained along with my library with New Workspace method - the New Project method lost it all - but that somehow Workspace method dramatically increases my time for each save.

It doesn't make sense, but I guess it is what it is.

Bill
Carl, one more comment. Earlier I had mentioned that my saves took nearly a minute to complete after I divided my project into two for faster narration recording display.

Well, after all these years, I now know what "New Workspace" is for. I can copy part of a project and paste it into a new workspace where the library is maintained as before.

I recently used "New Project" again and this time I noticed the library was blank. So on the next project I used the workspace method to copy and paste into two projects, and the saves are reasonably quick again. I'm still learning after all those versions since PD8! Obviously, it takes PD a long time to save if the project's library is empty.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill
I'm sorry. False alarm. I am now on the Live PD 13 and there was an update that I forgot about. Apparently it changed some settings to some default including PAL. I went back to the Produce Tab and made sure NTSC was chosen. I was worried that 24 FPS would not work, and I rushed to conclusions.

I did another burn and it works beautifully!

Sorry for false alarm.

Thanks for everything!
Bill
OK. Now I changed all my workflow to accommodate all sorts of issues. I created a DVD of four projects lasting about an hour total.

It played on my PC. Went to my DVD players for my TVs and it said wrong country.

I used 24 FPS film to overcome my jerky Canon camera .MOV files at 23.976 fps. I did a test burn some days ago of one project and it played on my TV player. Now this for real project burn is rejected.

What is going on? I'm mortified again!

I tried ImgBurn and copied the iso file to DVD. Same problem. Sigh. HELP! I'm out of ideas.

Bill
Thanks, Carl, for listening to me and offering thoughts.

It's not convenient to split the shows for my narration addition step, but this work-around works. But now I notice that all the Preview Rendering went away, so I can't view this in HD without jerky preview, without painfully waiting for the hours of rendering to complete again. And if I do it again, then when I combine the two halves, I'll have to render it again. You see, I like to view it on my large HDTV in the next room before I burn it to DVD because when I show it at senior centers, I know how it will look on the large screen. That's when I need the Preview Render version to make sure it all runs smoothly.

And now, for some reason, each save takes twice as long. What it gives on one hand, it takes away on the other. Sigh.

Bill
Well, isn't this interesting: I broke my 18-minute project into two and added some new narration to each. The narration appears in a matter of seconds! I tried it three times. In the second half that had no narration or background music, then the other half filled with many short narrations, then the same with background music (thinking there may be an interaction).

ALL tests allowed narration to appear in seconds! So my earlier observation was that as I added narrations toward and beyond halfways into the project, the narration appearance lag got worse.

What explains this? I did not check my audio driver, but now don't think I should have to bother.

Bill
Go to: