Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Any idea when 14 is coming out? It may just be the numerology, but 13 has plagued me from the beginning with continuous mollasses performance and blowups. My hardware and OS (Win7) have remained the same.

If I work with multiple clips, it just goes into the toilet. If I've got 4 clips playing at the same time, it will sort of pause and burp and then blow up. I send up to 4 an hour of those "Report error to Cyberlink" messages. I don't think anyone is reading them.

13 is a bad number. Like hotels, CyberLink should have skipped it.

Give me stability or give me...! well, I can't think of an appropriate alternative.

Just give me stability. Please.
This may be simple, but I've not been able to discover whether it's possible, or if it is, how it is done.

When I Video Crop a clip, I am presented with handles on the clip. Drag the handles, and the visible regions expands or contracts, but always proportionally. When I think of cropping, I have always thought of selecting an arbitrary rectangle around some portion, and then hit the Crop button (as in most picture/photo editing software). That's what I want to do, but I can't see how to accomplish it.

While I'm on the subject, most of the time (90%), if I crop something, I'd prefer it to stay cropped. Instead, PD crops at the point I tell it, but then "moves" the cropping over the remaining time in the video. The only way I know to apply the crop to the whole clip is go to the end and Duplicate Previous Crop. That just seems way too arbitrary a behavior, and the opposite of what the default should be. If a person CROPS, the crop by default should apply to the whole clip. If you want some sort of "movement", then add your target cropping.

So... to what page in the manual should I refer? Or just go ahead and give this poor fool the secret knowledge.

Tnx!
Well, that sounds like a per-clip cropping solution, assuming I can apply the same parameters as a whole.
But I'd rather not pay extra for it.
So, as a suggestion for PD, it's still valid. And the ability to apply it to the whole track (or a set of selected clips) would still be a nice enhancement.
Sorry, hit Submit too early:

• Video often comes in from recorders in separate clips, defined by file lengths. We then reconstruct the sequence by placing them sequentially in the time line. Often, I wish/need to crop a clip, effectively zooming in (let's say). It would be nice to have this crop applied to the whole track, or perhaps to all selected clips in the track. As it is, if I crop one clip, and want the same croppage applied to the next clip (to avoid a "jump"), I have to guesstimate, which, given the lack of precision cropping, still leaves a "jump"

• Speaking of cropping, I typically apply a crop to the whole clip. But if I crop the beginning, PD assumes I want some sort of "motion" applied to the cropping so that it roams back out as the clip proceeds. I am forced to Duplicate previous keypoint. Seems like the default behavior would be to apply the crop to the whole clip, with an option to have some sort of "motion". Or at least a Preference that allowed me to apply to the whole clip.

• This application of effects across a set of clips in a track would also be useful for all the Modify options. Basically, we should be able to treat all the clips in a track as a seamless whole for the purposes of editing.

• It's only an irritation, I guess, but PD does not remember where I "left it". I have two screens, one quite a bit larger. When PD starts, it always starts on the small screen, I have to move it the big boy. Better re-invocation memory would be nice.

• Currently, to Synch By Audio, all selected tracks/clips have to be video clips. To include an audio only clip (say, a mixed-down audio from a music video), I have to put the audio on a video track (that has no video). Seems reasonable to be able to put it on the Music track.

• When cropping, I would like to arbitrarily move the handles up/down/left/right. Seems to me that only the corner handles should proportionally expand the whole crop area. Why not allow just raise the top, lower the bottom, etc. The preview result window would show what was then seen.

• Provide some precision method of cropping and other "handle"-oriented editing. Grabbing and dragging handles is terribly imprecise. Specifying pixel widths or percentages (or other keyboard mechanisms) would give a very precise method of editing.

• When I exit, then return to a project, remember the folder where I left my last produced file

• Remember (and preselect) the format I last rendered with (this should be remembered regardless of what project is opened)

• May seem like lazy man request, but PD makes the higher track numbers the winner in occluding what is on lower tracks. A right mouse selection on a clip in a track to "Bring Forward" or some such would be nicer than manually moving clips to higher number tracks just to get then "in front for a while".

• In a similar vein, howsabout a right mouse "Clone Clip", which copies the currently selected clip (clips?) to available (or newly created) tracks, at the same timecode.

• When clips overlap on the screen, provide a "Merge Overlap", so that overlapped area shows both clips (ie, lower opacity on topmost clip). To do that today, would have to arbitrarily lower opacity on topmost clip, which effectively makes it fainter everywhere, not just the overlap region.
  • Suggestions in next posting...
    Unfortunately (and I am a bit take aback by this), Sync By Audio only works on video+audio clips. My audio mix (this is a music video) is on a separate audio only track. Selecting it DISABLES the Sync By Audio button!

Seriously?!

Oh, and in other late-breaking news, when I try to install the patch, I am told I don't have the required version of PD. This appears to be the only PD13 patch available (and I think they're cumulative anyway). I even tried installing while I was running PD13, you know, to kind of prove I had it installed. No dice.

Submitting to tech support. But I feel that old software frustration creeping back into my spine.
    Well, yeah!
    I don't recall that button before. Amazing how one's perception is prefigured by what one already "knows" and what one has always "done".
    Thanks! That may be the single most useful PD tutorial I've seen.
    Now I'm off to watch a bunch of PD13 tutorials and take my Crabby Appleton complaining under a rock!
    Yes. I have spent many enjoyable hours doing just that. As well as matching wave signatures in different clips, even (when some clip's audio was insufficient) moving frame-by-frame as I watch a drummer's stick come down, then catch the moment it started back up, and match THAT with an audio clip.

Fun times.

It just seemed to me that, given the innate capability for some component of PD to synch multiple clips (essentially using a similar approach), why not let, oh, I don't know, THE COMPUTER DO THE TEDIOUS WORK. I recall a decades old promise that computers could be used to do just that. Freeing up our massive creativity for the higher, more esoteric endeavors.

If the audio analysis engine can do that in the MultiCam Designer, doesn't it seem reasonable that it could be unleashed on arbitrary clips in the standard timeline?

Or can it, and I've just missed the documentation?
    Multicam designer has this very cool feature that allows you to synch clips, generally by audio analysis. BUt it seems to operate "out of band" to PD proper. That is, you create some sort of editable thing, and then you're in this separate environment

Is there a way to synch clips just in the normal timeline mode? I just want to line up some clips and then do my transitions and so forth. If the audio analysis engine exists, seems like I could just unleash it on the clips I have in regular edit mode and then get them aligned.

MCD has the feel of a third party product that ha somehow been glommed onto PD.
    You're right, of course. It's been a while since I've used the forum (nothing like a major release to bring the crybabies back into the fray ).
    Dafydd always fools me, he speaks with such authority and clarity, one naturally assumes he is intimately involved with the company and the product. Over in Sibelius (a premiere music composition app) forum land, there actually was a company rep who more or less stayed on top of the many forum threads, offering fixes, suggestions, workarounds, etc. It's easy to think of Dafydd (who has the coolest name; I'm presuming Welsh?) as such a personage.
    Well, back to NLE Nirvana. And waiting for bug fix releases!
    Dafydd,

Not looking for a refund. Just fixes.

I'm mainly surprised that y'all let the product ship in what seems a demonstrably unstable state. I know market pressures to get new customers (via the lure of "feature-magnetism") push these things. But as I've mentioned before, I have 35 years in product-oriented software development, and the current wisdom seems to urge that one wring everything out so as not to alienate or frustrate the loyal customer base. I switched to PD from Premiere Elements based on its 64-bit speed, but that edge seems to have eroded somewhat in subsequent releases and now the stability is in jeopardy.

I don't think the project I initially tried with PD13 was that complicated. It's a 3 camera (mainly using only 2 of the 3) music video with accompanying audio track. Admittedly, there are a fair number of transitions, and each clip was cropped, and in one sequence, they all move around simultaneously (I could not watch this part in the editor; it just crashed. Had to wait to see rendered vid to see if it turned out okay. It did, at least to my satisfaction). But I had done this sort of thing numerous times with PD12 and earlier versions. Here's a link to the youtubed result, if your interested (one's interest in this particular video will be directly proportional to one's appreciation of the Grateful Dead : ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65tshw19bPY&list=UUvy2LsSHwrKCaGA7VtvBHnQ

I look forward to some quick stability/bug updates for PD13 (when one plays the "ship it by the deadline, dammit!" maxim, the necessary adjunct is a quick set of Version.N point releases to stabilize what's in the field). In the meantime, I think I'll revert to PD12 and let others wear the target on their backs and lead the charge toward stability.

Chuck
    I bought it, installed it, regretted it.
    Anybody else find this update flaky as hell? It crashes and or hangs CONSTANTLY. I'm having to render the whole damn video just to see what I've done.
    I tried Produce Range on a 2 minute segment. I was begin offered half hour rendering on the lowest grade output. An hour or more to get an MP4. FOR A TWO MINUTE SEGMENT. And h/w accelerations was disabled for almost everything.
    But mainly, the stability just sucks. I thought Cyberlink got past all this with 11 and then 12. I guess I should have skipped 13.
    I am very disappointed.
    I just upgraded to PD 12. I noticed in Windows Control Panel that I still had PD 10 hanging around, so I removed it. There are also PD 10 Content Pack I & II in there, but I've upgraded to PD 12 Content Pack Essential and Premium.

Is there any reason to hang on to PD 10 Content Pack I & II? Something in there I might could use that's not available in the PD 12 Content Packs? I'd like to get rid of them (fairly significant space users), but you know how you hate to boot something out, and then discover you really needed it after all.

Thanks
    Well, it was already set for High, and would not let me choose "Normal" or Low".
    Next time I run into the problem, I can try Tony's suggestion. In general, the whole clip would need the brightness adjustment, so I could write that out, then use the brighter clip as new media import.
    This was new for me. I had a track that was just a little dark, so I added some brightness with the Enhance/Fix tab. Now, whenever that track is visible, it's all slow-motion, and then "catches up" from time to time. This is only during the edit process; it's not there in the final product.

Hard to believe that (what seems like it would be) a fairly static edit would have such a drastic effect on performance. These are music videos, live performances caught on multiple cameras, then fades, etc back and forth during the song.

Any ideas? I have the latest v11 update. Enable HD video processing is checked, as is Enable OpenCL. It's a pain, because I have to kind of "guess" what my final edit is going to look like.
    it was a dress rehearsal of the play

Otherwise, yes you are correct. I chose DVD (4.7), not Blu-Ray. MPG2 is only option, the est. size (5290) seemed reasonable to use SmartFit to get it on one DVD.
    I had used the Produce tab to create MPG4 and custom bit rate of 9300 to get a 4.7 GB file. I used Windows DVD Maker on that, it only wrote/used ~60% of the resulting DVD, but would not let me do chapters (other than arbitrary chunks), so I came back to PD11 to Create Disc.
    I understand the "70% complete, still needs 11 hours" is bogus. But it DEFINITELY takes 10-12 or so hours to render. That 70% report was after it had churned all night (7-8 hours)
    It's a Wonderful Life. 1 hr, 11 min. I should have said "rendering" not burning. The burn takes no time at all.
    This is on an HP Pavilion 6700/16GB of very fast memory/Nvidia GTX570. Video came from a Sony 1920 x 1080p Full HD 64GB corder.
    It did seem like a long time to me. The rendering was 70% complete when I left home this morning, 8 hrs into it, but claimed it still 11 hours to go!
    Yes, I chose SmartFit, and I of course wanted HQ. I think it's the not knowing what "smart" things SmartFit is doing that makes me uneasy.
    Anyway, it's all burning now (only 10 hours to go . We'll see what decisions PD made for me...
    As a UI designer myself, I could make the argument that when no options exist, the space for dropdown should convert to a non-interactive label (for instance) or other "non-choice" control, since it is the "choice nature of a dropdown that offers no choices" that seems more confusing to me.
    But enough of aesthetics: If one chooses 4.7 GB DVD, you are saying that the only options are MPEG-2, Highest Quality. Frankly, I'm surprised those are the ONLY choices for DVD. But I guess my original question is now answered.
    Hmm. Then why offer any options at all? If there are no choices, why present a dropdown? That doesn't make much sense
    On the Create Disc tab, there are drop downs under video and audio settings for format, encoding, etc. But some of them have no options. I can choose widescreen, and Enable True Theatre Surround, but for Video encoding and format, I am only presented with MPEG-2 and HQ-Best Quality. There's nothing else displayed in those drop downs (although I can thankfully check Smart Fit).

When I'm in the Produce tab, I have a WIDE array of choices. I don't understand the paucity of options for Create Disc, when so many of the same parameters would seem to be appropriate.

Is this normal behavior, or something peculiar to my installation?
    Go to: