Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 14?
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Any idea when 14 is coming out? It may just be the numerology, but 13 has plagued me from the beginning with continuous mollasses performance and blowups. My hardware and OS (Win7) have remained the same.

If I work with multiple clips, it just goes into the toilet. If I've got 4 clips playing at the same time, it will sort of pause and burp and then blow up. I send up to 4 an hour of those "Report error to Cyberlink" messages. I don't think anyone is reading them.

13 is a bad number. Like hotels, CyberLink should have skipped it.

Give me stability or give me...! well, I can't think of an appropriate alternative.

Just give me stability. Please. Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
[Post New]
Quote: 13 is a bad number. Like hotels, CyberLink should have skipped it.

Not for Chinese culture, is not...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture#Unlucky_numbers
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Give me stability or give me...! well, I can't think of an appropriate alternative.

How stable a program is depends very heavy on the platform it is running on.

Some users never have problems with PowerDirector on their computer.

Then some users have nothing but problems.

To have a 100% stable program you must have an almost perfect computer system.
No Windows Operation System is 100% stable.

Windows by its nature is unstable.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2015 19:48

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I think Carl summed it up pretty well, and chances are that whatever makes it unstable on your system will change very little.

To answer the question, new versions are normally released in the fall or late summer. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
[Post New]
W.r.t. stability, etc, I just went back and looked at video I produced back in 2011 using whatever version of PD I had at that time. This was FOUR YEARS AGO, on the same machine, same OS. 6 continuous clips on screen the whole time. PD never faltered once, never crashed. This machine has plenty of memory (memory usage never climbs into anything over about 20%), but all 4 CPUs are certainly maxing out.

So Carl, although I admit no Windows system is 100% stable, given the same physical machine and the same OS, such a drastic reduction in stability seems most likely attributable to the one element that HAS changed: PD version. Chuck Puckett
[Post New]
Quote: No Windows Operation System is 100% stable.

That's a myth. I have absolutely no stability issues with my 4 Windows computers - three 7 and one 8.1. I just stay away from shady software and keep everything updated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2015 13:37

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: No Windows Operation System is 100% stable.

That's a myth. I have absolutely no stability issues with my 4 Windows computers - three 7 and one 8.1. I just stay away from shady software and keep everything updated.

How many unexplained blue screens have you experienced?

Blue Screen happens sometime when you install a bad video driver. Windows Update has caused strange and unstable operations.

How many times have you read in this forum of problems, sometimes caused by Windows or a Driver install.

I agree Windows 7 64 is generally stable, but it is not !00% stable, otherwise blue screens would not happen.
And malware would not affect Windows.

Would you send millions of dollars to send a robotic mission to Mars using the Windows Operation System?
Windows is not the Software sent to Mars.

Windows is not stable enough to be reliable on Mars. If Windows locks up on mars, who is going to turn off the power on the robot to reboot the computer?

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

chuckpuckett [Avatar]
[Post New]
No blue screens, and I don't want t go to Mars. I just want PD to perform like the 64 bit NLE it was first advertised to be, and the primary reason I left Adobe Premiere Elements (ie, true 64 bit capability).

It doesn't blue screen, and the video drivers haven't changed either. PD13 itself slows down, hiccups a few times, then exits the program, and I get dialog asking if I want to report the problem to Cyberllink (I always do). The fact that it doesn't blue screen is, operationally, not much different than simply exiting the app. Well, I guess it's at least faster than rebooting.

I have taken to hitting CTRL+S every time before I try playing a video that I'm editing. Otherwise, I have a high likelihood of losing the edits.

Kinda sucks. Chuck Puckett
[Post New]
With this computer (Dell T3500) I don't remember having a Blue Screen since I bought it (used on eBay). It's not overclocked, good cooling, not cheap memory, not cheap SSD, upgraded the PS with 1000W Dell one, new GTX960...
It's the same that I have at work (some 10 of them) and none experience BSOT that I know of.
My actual up-time now is 10 days (I don't shut off my PC at all, unless the power goes off or if I need to reboot it due to some new software installation (hate when that happens).

As for PD13, I don't do very complicated edits and I have no major complains (besides what I already said about it's efficiency). BTW, I am using the latest beta.
[Thumb - uptime.JPG]
 Filename
uptime.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
180 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2015 20:44

ErikJon777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2015 17:15 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I think that the issue is that nearly every programmer tries to push the limits on subsequent releases of his program, and ends up bloating it with new features, plug-ins, bells and whistles, all requiring more processing and more memory. He says to himself, "No, but everyone surely will have upgraded by the time this release comes out..."

He then tells the consumer "This new version will work on Windows XP" but what he really means is, if you max out the RAM, close all other programs, and use only one media clip, it will barely work on XP; in fact, it was made for 64-bit Windows 8.

The moral to the story is (in this case), if it is supposed to work on your OS, you are safer to buy the older version.

I did that with GarageBand. I checked out which was the last version that was supposed to work with my OS, and once I found it, I bought the version that had come out just before that. It worked like a charm.

Keep in mind that some of these comments on the forum come from folks who have 15GB of RAM on their computer, and are less likely to have stability issues with video and photography.