Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Non-proportional cropping
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
This may be simple, but I've not been able to discover whether it's possible, or if it is, how it is done.

When I Video Crop a clip, I am presented with handles on the clip. Drag the handles, and the visible regions expands or contracts, but always proportionally. When I think of cropping, I have always thought of selecting an arbitrary rectangle around some portion, and then hit the Crop button (as in most picture/photo editing software). That's what I want to do, but I can't see how to accomplish it.

While I'm on the subject, most of the time (90%), if I crop something, I'd prefer it to stay cropped. Instead, PD crops at the point I tell it, but then "moves" the cropping over the remaining time in the video. The only way I know to apply the crop to the whole clip is go to the end and Duplicate Previous Crop. That just seems way too arbitrary a behavior, and the opposite of what the default should be. If a person CROPS, the crop by default should apply to the whole clip. If you want some sort of "movement", then add your target cropping.

So... to what page in the manual should I refer? Or just go ahead and give this poor fool the secret knowledge.

Tnx! Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
[Post New]
Quote: This may be simple, but I've not been able to discover whether it's possible, or if it is, how it is done.

When I Video Crop a clip, I am presented with handles on the clip. Drag the handles, and the visible regions expands or contracts, but always proportionally. When I think of cropping, I have always thought of selecting an arbitrary rectangle around some portion, and then hit the Crop button (as in most picture/photo editing software). That's what I want to do, but I can't see how to accomplish it.

While I'm on the subject, most of the time (90%), if I crop something, I'd prefer it to stay cropped. Instead, PD crops at the point I tell it, but then "moves" the cropping over the remaining time in the video. The only way I know to apply the crop to the whole clip is go to the end and Duplicate Previous Crop. That just seems way too arbitrary a behavior, and the opposite of what the default should be. If a person CROPS, the crop by default should apply to the whole clip. If you want some sort of "movement", then add your target cropping.

So... to what page in the manual should I refer? Or just go ahead and give this poor fool the secret knowledge.

Tnx!

To select a specific area of a video while maintaining the aspect ratio is simple.

Select the video in the timeline, click the button "Power Tools / Video Crop / Crop Video" select size and the position / OK

If to cut the video in free format, I would use masks with the disabled aspect ratio, this method of more work.

Note: There may be another method that I still do not know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2015 11:04

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Spearhead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2015 14:43 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Selecting the video on the timeline and choosing Crop Video in Power Tools creates a single instance of a crop then fades back out. Not being able to crop an entire clip at once is a deal breaker for me since I use a GoPro camera a lot. I will be requesting a refund to this software as I've owned it four hours and have had nothing but trouble with it.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi chuckpuckett & Spearhead -

To crop a video so there's no pan or zoom movement all you need to do is:

1. Set the first keyframe (start of clip)

2. Duplicate that keyframe for the 2nd (end of clip)

Chuck - masking is the only way to get non-proportional "cropping", which leaves part of the screen transparent (but you knew that).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!