Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I again removed the hardware decoding option and was able to produce the AVC file. The quality was not the best however. This program requires a lot of trial-and-error to get a decent video. I am puzzled as to why this program gets such high ratings in the online reviews.
I have tried again to produce a movie this morning from the same MTS clips, about 5 minutes worth. This time I tried to render an AVC file. After about 15 minutes of rendering the elapsed time counter continued and the rendering stopped at 40%. It always stops at 40%. I cancel rendering but the producing screen continues and I cannot close the program. A ctrl-alt-del is the only way out.

Windows Media Player is the default MTS player. Perhaps I will assign another program and see what happens.

This program is not for anybody that does not have a lot of time on their hands.

Screen capture attached.
Yes, I have the latest Quicktime. That does solve some problems when working with MOV files. You also have to make sure that Quicktime is your default viewer. I had VLC as the viewer and that caused problems. That is why I am asking about file associations.

The latest problems involved processing the AVCHD lite files from the Panasonic.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have been struggling with PD9 for a while with little success. I recently reinstalled according to tech support instructions. All drivers are up to date and Quicktime is the default MOV player. The movies I edit are from a Kodak PlaySport (MOV files) and a Panasonic Lumix (AVCHD lite).

I have noticed that I can render movies only if I do NO enhancements. If I do any editing it freezes the computer when I try and render. I have mainly been trying to make MPEG4 files. I am thoroughly frustrated with this program.

I have several questions I hope a member can answer.
1.- Could my Radeon HD5400 card be a problem?
2.- How important is it to have codecs not loaded by programs?
3.- How important is it to have the proper file associations, i.e MOV with
Quicktime?

The processing is very slow and the screen video quality is poor. The program is much slower then other video editing software. Can anybody provide any suggestions as I have exhausted technical support.

Thanks in advance.
Let me first start by saying that I am very disappointed in CyberLink PowerDirector 9 (PD9). This is my first experience with PowerDirector as I have used other video editing software in the past. I purchased PD9 because of the good reviews and that it was a 64-bit program and promised lightning speeds. I admit that I am a rookie at video editing and have a limited understanding of the editing process, codecs, etc. However, I have edited and produced a fair amount of video over the past few years.

I have 3 cameras that produce video. An Olympus Stylus 1030SW, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 and a Kodak PlaySport ZX3. The Panasonic and PlaySport have HD video. My computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 with and Intel Core i7 CPU 920@2.67 GHz with 6 GB of RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5400 with 1 GB of memory. The computer is running Microsoft Windows Home Premium(64-bit). I have PD9 version 9.0.02504 which is the latest update.

The reason I am disappointed is the poor performance of PD9 primarily with the HD MOV files produced by the PlaySport. Initialy the program would not work at all with the MOV files until I made QuickTime the default MOV player (thanks to the forum for that). The next problem was associated with producing a movie from the clips. Again, major problems until I removed the hardware decoding option (thanks again to the forum). Now I can produce a usable AVI file and AVC H.264 file. Producing an MOV file results in jerky video with NO sound. Trying to produce an MPEG-4 file locks the program.

The Kodak PlaySport has the ArcSoft MediaImpressions program included with the purchase. It does a great job of rendering MP4, MOV and AVI files out of the video clips. It even provides a fair amount of video editing. I realize this program is custom made to work with files produced by the PlaySport and does not support other file types. However, I compared the time it took to produce a short video from 5 HD MOV clips from the PlaySport. PD9 took 2 minutes and 10 seconds to produce the AVC file and 1 minute 44 seconds for the AVI file. ArcSoft took 34 seconds for AVI, 49 seconds for MOV and 47 seconds for MP4. I am wondering where are the benefits of the TrueVelocity 64?

CyberLink customer email support is a painful process with little help. It usually takes a week to respond and they only seem to respond on Mondays. I am awaiting the latest reply after sending them the requested information. The only pearls of wisdom was the statement: “PowerDirector is only an interface which can use codecs of other softwares to do editing or decode files.”

I know that there are other PlaySport users on this forum. Are you experiencing similar problems? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am wondering why I purchased PD9.
It looks like today is tech report response day. I also received a reply telling me to disable Richvideo in the general preference menu. I do not have such an option, no Richvideo at all mentioned anywhere. They told me to update drivers and send them the dxdiag.txt file and my serial number. I responded and will now have to wait another week.
Don't feel bad, I have been waiting over a week for a reply from tech support on an issue I am having with Kodak PlaySport MOV files. They certainly do have the WORST tech support.

I was going to try a re-install but after reading your problem I will wait.
Go to: