Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Hi,
we can not reproduce the issue on any of our test platform - can you please provide the eventlog entry for further investigation:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16915.page#91780

As you mention that the application is crashing on your side there must be an eventlog.

BR
Michael

You were not able to reproduce them? Good for you. It was not a pleasant experience.

I was not imagining those crashes. It has been a couple of weeks since they happened, but I remember trying to check the Event Log. Unfortunately I got the following damnable message, which I get every time I try to view the event log, and I have not been able to remedy the situation:

"Event Log Service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running."

For now, I have given up on PowerDVD 11 Ultra. I have uninstalled it, and I have restored PowerDVD 9 Ultra. I will not try using the latter for newly released Blu-ray disks, but I might use it for standard DVDs and old Blu-rays. During the months that I used PowerDVD 9 Ultra, I never got a single crash like the half-dozen or so that I got during the few days I tried watching Blu-rays with the new PowerDVD 11 Ultra. I do not have an SSD, and it was awful having to wait for my system to reboot.

Also, as I wrote above, I watched Limitless and The Adjustment Bureau Blu-rays with ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum without any crashes.

Since I started this thread, I have bought myself a new combo HDTV/monitor and a BD-player. For viewing new Blu-ray disks, I intend to use either my ArcSoft software or my new LG BD630. If I decide to pay for another software upgrade, it will be to ArcSoft, not to CyberLink.
I did not try the workaround (uninstalling KB2567680), but I got sporadic--though not really heavy--pixelizaton while watching The Adjustment Bureau (Blu-ray rental disk from Netflix).

I am using the upgrade version of Power DVD 11 Ultra, build 2211.53 (upgraded from Power DVD 9 Ultra, build 4105).

More information on my system is included in my 10-24-11 reply in my post "Blu-ray movie LIMITLESS crashed with Power DVD, but it played perfectly with Total Media."

I appreciate your attention.
On Friday 10-21-11 I tried to watch X-Men First Class, Blu-ray rental disk from Netflix, with Power DVD 9 Ultra. I got a red-screen message telling me I could not do that, and that I needed to upgrade my version of Power DVD. I bought, downloaded, installed, and updated the upgrade version of Power DVD 11 Ultra. Since then I have tried watching X-Men First Class, Limitless, and The Adjustment Bureau (Blu-ray rental disks from Netflix for each) with my new Power DVD Ultra 11 build 2211.53. I got crashes while watching each one of them.

Notes:
1. I was finally able to completely watch the X-Men FirstClass. I was able to watch only a small part of Limitless. It crashed three times before I gave up on it. I was able to watch about 9/10 of The Adjustment Bureau before it crashed.
2. Using Total Media Theater 3 Platinum, I was able to watch Limitless from beginning to end without any trouble whatsoever. Also using Total Media Theater 3 Platinum, I watched the last part of The Adjustment Bureau without any trouble.
3. Before The Adjustment Bureau crashed, 9/10 of the way through, I experienced sporadic flashes of pixelization using Power DVD Ultra 11. On the movie's title-screen menu, I got a flash of pixelization from both Power DVD 11 Ultra and from Total Media Theater 3 Platinum, but Total Media did not give me any pixelization during the last 1/10 of the movie. (Note: I did not see your posted workaround to resolve the pixelization. If I experience the pixelization in another movie, I will try it.)
4. I normally use a soundcard, Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Game, for all my PC activities (it is noticeably better, especially for DVDs and Blu-rays, than my onboard Realtek). I never had any trouble with my soundcard while using Power DVD 9 Ultra. But since I was getting those crashes with the new Blu-ray disks and Power DVD 11 Ultra, I disabled my X-Fi and enabled my onboard sound (normally disabled in my BIOS). I updated the Realtek drivers, but I still got crashes with Power DVD 11 Ultra. With respect to my X-Fi soundcard, the only thing I did not try was to eliminate all trace of Creative Labs software from my system before trying Power DVD 11 Ultra with Realtek.
5. If you can resolve this crash issue, I will continue to use Power DVD. But if I am forced to choose between Realtek onboard sound and my Creative Labs X-Fi soundcard, I will use Total Media 3 Platinum for watching new Blu-rays.

Here are answers to the welcome-thread's requests for information:

Power DVD 11 Ultra version 11.0.2211.53
SR No.: 110929-01
TR No.: 111011-002
Administrator Account
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits Build 7601: Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: CyberPower Inc.
Retail version of Power DVD 11 Ultra, downloaded as upgrade version for Power DVD 9 Ultra
Used VGA: I do not know where to get this information.
Used VGA driver version: I do not where to get this information.
Audio Device and driver: Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, driver version 6.0.1.1375
Audio Setting in Power DVD: 1)Speaker Environment – Headphone 2) Output Mode: Stereo
Audio Setting in Creative Control Panel: Speakers – Headphone
ODD Drive: What's that?
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM
Used Display: NVidia Ge Force GTX 295 (driver v. 8.17.12.8562)
Single Display Monitor: HDMI connection from NVidia video card to Samsung SyncMaster 2443 24" Widescreen LCD (5ms, 50,000:1, 1920x1200)
Display Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Antivirus/Firewall: AT&T Internet Security Suite (powered by McAfee)
Internet Browser: Windows Internet Explorer 9 version 9.0.8112.16421
Do I use virtual ODD? Not that I know of.
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 975
Motherboard: MSI X-58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
Memory: 6GB DDR3 (3 x 2GB) Spec Tek Incorporated
Mouse: Logitech HID-compliant G9 Laser Mouse (driver v.5.33.10.0) (USB)
Optical Drive: LiteOn iHOS104 Internal 4x SATA BD-ROM

Here is a log of my recent Blu-ray movie watching:
1. 10-21-11 Friday: Using Power DVD 9 Ultra, I tried to play X-Men First Class (Netflix's Blu-ray rental disk). I got a red-screen message telling me I needed an upgrade to watch the movie. Blu-ray compatibility updates for Power DVD 9 Ultra were no longer being released.
2. 10-21-11 Friday: I upgraded to Power DVD 11 Ultra. The base price was $64.95, but with extended download service, a backup disc, and tax, the total was $90.08.
3. 10-21-11 Friday: Downloading and installing Power DVD 11 Ultra went smoothly, as did key activation, and updating to the most recent build (2211.53).
4. 10-21-11 Friday: With my upgraded Power DVD, I tried watching X-Men First Class. It played for a while; then my system crashed. No blue screen; just a total crash. I had to turn off my power switch, turn it back on, and reboot. I tried to play it again; again it crashed. It was getting late; so I thought I would wait until morning to try some possible remedies.
5. 10-22-11 Saturday morning: I checked my hardware to see if I had up-to-date drivers. My Soundblaster X-Fi was okay, but I was behind with my NVidia GTX 295 and Logitech G9 laser mouse. I updated those drivers, and I was able to watch X-Men First Class without any trouble.
6. 10-22-11 Saturday afternoon: I tried watching Limitless (Netflix Blu-ray rental disk) with my new Power DVD 11 Ultra, but it crashed. It was the same kind of crash I had gotten with X-Men First Class. But this crash occurred with up-to-date drivers. I tried disabling my Soundblaster and enabling my onboard Realtek sound, but I still got a crash. I re-enabled my Soundblaster and got a third crash. I said to hell with it, and I made a couple of posts here on this forum. (As I write this, no one has replied to those posts.)
7. 10-23-11 Sunday afternoon: Some months ago, after not being able to play Green Zone with Power DVD 9 Ultra, I bought and installed ArcSoft's Total Media 3 Platinum. Total Media played Green Zone, and I left Total Media installed for a short while. But I had no further trouble with Power DVD 9 Ultra; so I uninstalled Total Media. Until now. After reinstalling Total Media 3 Platinum and updating it, today I was able to watch Limitless from beginning to end, without the slightest glitch. (For experimental purposes, I would have tried playing X-Men First Class with Total Media, but I had already mailed the disk back to Netflix.)

In conclusion, over the past three days, ArcSoft has scored two big points for me, and CyberLink has scored none:
Point 1: It seems that ArcSoft is still providing updates for its old Total Media Theater 3 Platinum, whereas CyberLink is not doing so for Power DVD 9 Ultra.
Point 2: ArcSoft's old software played Limitless perfectly. CyberLink's new software crashed Limitless so often, I was not able to finish watching it.
The other day, I tried watching X-Men First Class Blu-ray with Power DVD 9 Ultra, and I got a big red screen telling me that Power DVD 9 Ultra would no longer be updated, but I needed an update to watch the movie. So I dished out about $80.00 for Power DVD 11 Ultra, and after installing it with the most recent update (2211.53)--and after a couple of crashes--I was finally able to watch the movie.

Today, however, I got three system crashes while trying to watch another recent Blu-ray movie, Limitless. My mouse, sound, and video card drivers are the most recent. Still I get crashes. I posted a message regarding these crashes, but as yet I have gotten no replies.

I do not have a TV, so to avoid buggy CyberLink software, I'm thinking of trying the following:

1. Buy a BD-player (not a BD-ROM drive).
2. With an HDMI cable, connect the BD-player to my Sony STR-DH800 Multi Channel AV receiver.
3. With an HDMI cable, connect the receiver to a three-in/one-out HDMI splitter (available at amazon.com).
4. With an HDMI cable, connect my PC's video card to the HDMI splitter.
5. With an HDMI cable, connect the HDMI splitter to my Samsung monitor.

With this arrangement, I am thinking I will be able watch Blu-ray movies without booting up my PC, though I will be using my monitor.

If anyone thinks I would be making a mistake by giving up on CyberLink, or if anyone detects any problems with the rig I have outlined, I would appreciate a reply.

With Power DVD 11 Ultra, build 2211.53, I have been getting system crashes--without blue screens--during playback of two Blu-ray disks: X-Men First Class and Limitless (rental editions from Netflix). I had to turn off my power switch and reboot each time.

I have only two amateurish ideas as to what MIGHT be causing the crashes. 1) The crashes seem to take place when I am clicking something with my mouse on the movie screen. 2) I set my own virtual memory, instead of letting my system manage it. I have 6 GB of RAM, and I set my virtual memory to three times that (18432 MB).

Note: I was able to watch X-Men First Class after a fresh installs of Power DVD 11 Ultra and the 2211.53 build (which also required a new installation of Power DVD 9 Ultra, since I bought the upgrade version of Power DVD 11 Ultra). That was yesterday. Today, however, I have crashed my system twice while trying to watch Limitless. I am about to try watching Limitless again.

Here are my system components, followed by a dxdiag readout for my Win 7 64bit OS.

Manufacturer: CyberPower Inc.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits Build 7601: Service Pack 1
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 975
Motherboard: MSI X-58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
Memory: 6GB DDR3 (3 x 2GB) Spec Tek Incorporated
Graphics: NVidia Ge Force GTX 295 (driver v. 8.17.12.8026)
Sound: Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (driver v.2.18.0015, or v.6.0.1.1375)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM
Mouse: Logitech HID-compliant G9 Laser Mouse (driver v.4.82.4.0) (USB)
Keyboard: Ideazon Merc Stealth (USB)
Optical Drive: LiteOn iHAS124 SATA SuperAllwrite 24x DVD-RW
Optical Drive: LiteOn iHOS104 Internal 4x SATA BD-ROM
USB Hub: SFE Tech 10-port dynamic high-speed USB hub
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2443 24" Widescreen LCD (5ms, 50,000:1, 1920x1200)
DVD software: PowerDVD 11 Ultra Version 11.0.2211.53
Antivirus/Firewall: AT&T Internet Security Suite (powered by McAfee)
Printer: HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f

P.S. Make that three new Blu-ray movies. Power DVD 11 Ultra crashed on me about 9/10 of the way through The Adjustment Bureau. I finished watching it, without a glitch, by using Total Media 3 Platinum, which I also used to watch Limitless, though I did not try it with X-Men First Class
Below is CyberLink's technical-support reply to my query regarding not being able to play Green Zone Blu-ray rental disk with PowerDVD 9 Ultra (update version 9.0.2528.51):

Dear Russell,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are unable to play "Green Zone" Blu-ray in PowerDVD 9 Ultra software.

I apologize for the delayed response.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that I have already escalated this case to the product and developement department and it vis declared as BUG in this software and I request you to please have patient till I get the exact resolution. As our team is working hard to get the customer's satisfaction.

I deeply regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Tanmay
CyberLink Technical Support
If you can't watch Blu-ray Green Zone and if you have PowerDVD that supports Blu-ray, you might want to check SeptimusFry's thread "I can play Green Zone."

At the time I write this, the region A rental version of Green Zone can't be played using PowerDVD. (You see a sequence of trailers, but not the movie.) Maybe CyberLink will issue an update that will fix this trouble. Meanwhile, if you want to write a message to Universal Pictures, KRONAH and I have left instructions on how you can do this. Check SeptimusFry's thread.
Kevin:

Thank you. I agree that Power DVD is the best DVD and BD-DVD software. Formerly I used WinDVD, until I started watching Blu-rays on my PC. I never got WinDVD 9 Plus to work at all. TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum worked fine for Green Zone, but I am going to use it only if I run into another problem like I had with Green Zone. I prefer Power DVD 9 Ultra because I'm familiar with the controls (even though many of the newer Blu-rays don't support some mouse functions and shortcuts), and because of your research regarding Blu-ray incompatibilities.
Cap'n Kevin:

Thank you for the informative and interesting reply. In lieu of your information maybe the bottom line of my preceding post should have read that both Cyberlink and ArcSoft need to get their posteriors adjusted.

Actually, though, Cyberlink doesn't seem to need much adjustment. I have used my Power DVD 9 to view many DVDs, including many Blu-ray disks, and Green Zone is the only one that was incompatible. (I suspect the incompatibility has to do with that disk's feature of automatically downloading previews from the Internet. Still I've watched other new Blu-ray disks with the same feature, and I had no trouble with them.)

Thanks again for your research of TotalMedia incompatibilities. It does seem right to have a back-up Blu-ray player, and I would recommend that all PC viewers do that if it weren't for one thing: price. At approximately a hundred dollars for either Cyberlink's or ArcSoft's Blu-ray players, I think budget-minded PC viewers should perhaps stick with Power DVD. If they run across the rare Blu-ray that is incompatible, they can always view the regular DVD.
I apologize for making two successive posts, but I have information that may help other viewers of this thread.

As I explained in my preceding post, I could not get Power DVD 9 to play the Green Zone Blu-ray disk beyond the opening previews. Another poster said they had success with TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum, so I tracked that down to its ArcSoft website, downloaded and installed the trial version, only to discover that only the full version will play Blu-ray disks.

So I went back to the ArcSoft website, bought, and downloaded TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum. That set me back ninety-bucks Then I uninstalled the trial version and installed the version I had just bought and downloaded.

I can now watch Green Zone

Cyberlink--at least for this particular Blu-ray movie--needs to get their fangdanged posteriors adjusted
8-25-10

I have a Lite-On Blu-ray player on the my PC, and I am using Power DVD 9 version 9.0.2320.9. I rented Green Zone Blu-ray from Netflix and have not been able to play the disk past the previews. As reported in preceding posts, after the previews all I get is a black screen. No controls work, including the pop-up menu.

So far, of the many Blu-ray disks I have played, this is the one and only one I have not been able to play.

Go to: