Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cant play Green Zone Blu-ray in PDVD Ultra 9
xappie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2007 22:29 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Like the subject line says... I can't play this title. It goes through the "loading fresh previews from the internet", but then it gets to the spinning universal logo and hangs on a black screen.

Any help getting it fixed is appreciated... Im running the latest patch of PDVD and the latest ATI drivers for my 5870.
Lukas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2010 13:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having the same problem with PowerDVD 10 Ultra.

What the heck is this company doing? I can't believe I spent $100 on a piece of crap software. Unless they fix this ASAP, I'll be calling my credit card company and pushing to get a refund.
malzfreund [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2010 20:42 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
same problem here, powerdvd ultra 9. guys, please submit support tickets to put pressure on cyberlink!
Josh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2010 20:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem. I'd appreciate it if they could fix it quickly, given that the software costs $100.
Tre [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2010 07:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Running Ultra 10: Worked fine when the movie was released a month ago, trying to watch it again and I am having the same problem.
JOSHUA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2010 00:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here with Ultra 10 Mark II. I get through the previews but then it gets stuck on a black screen.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Is this specifically a problem with the Green Zone movie specifically? I ask as I have been using PDVD U9 for over a year with BluRay and no problems at all. Maybe it is a problem forced by some new copy-protection or the like ? i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Daniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2006 22:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here with Power DVD 10 ultra, also.
ROSS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2009 21:15 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Yep...rented it thisi weekend and could not play it. Quite frankly I am fed up with this crap. The software should simply do what it says it will do.....PLAY BLUE RAY!!!. I do not need to jump through hoops to make this happen. PATCH it DAMMIT!!!!...
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Have you got access to a Blu Ray player other than PDVD? Does the same BR disk play ok in another player i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
ROSS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope ....I do not have access to any other player. I built this computer to record TV and play movies. 99.9% of all the DVD's I have placed in it's tray have played...without issue but blue rays are a different story altogether. I think I can honestly say that the 10 or so blue rays I have rented (yes I am gun shy) only 3 have not given me some kind of grief. Usually a system restart will clear up the problem.... but most of the time I have had to upgrade something or other to get it to play. To me this is not acceptable. Whether it be the movie companies or the software developers...something has got to be fixed so this stuff just works. I should NOT!!! have to buy a standalone player to garuntee playback......who or what does that serve??? The problem just needs to get fixed....put a movie in...and it plays.....sounds like a novel idea......NOT!!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ross,

You wrote:
I should NOT!!! have to buy a standalone player to garuntee playback......who or what does that serve??? The problem just needs to get fixed....put a movie in...and it plays.....sounds like a novel idea......NOT!!

I hear your frustration, and it should be simple. I agree with you 100%.

But if you Google "Can't play Green Zone Blu-Ray" you will find that the playback problem is with standalone players as well as software players. This problem is not unique to Cyberlink's Power DVD. You might find another software player that will play it, but then that player won't play others that Power DVD can. It is an endless cycle unfortunately.

The finger should be pointed at the Encryption placed on the Blu-Ray disc at the point of its origin, not at the companies who develop the hardware or software to play it. Just my opinion, which is actually irrelevant to anyone but me.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Daniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2006 22:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Have you got access to a Blu Ray player other than PDVD? Does the same BR disk play ok in another player

I have a Panasonic DMPBD-80 and was able to play Green Zone. I'll admit, however, that the movie took quite a bit longer than most to load. I thought it might not play, but it finally did. I still could not play the movie with PowerDVD 10 Ultra on my self made htpc. PowerDVD has played everything else I've thrown at it , so far.
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Well, I have no axe to grind, and I agree that things should work 'out of the box', but there are some reasons why PDVD may be having problems.

First, consider a BR dedicated player. The manufacturer has total control over the hardware and the software, the only thing out of his control is the actual recording technology, coding technology and container choice (coded video and audio can use a number of different codecs and are multiplexed together into a number of possible 'containers') - so a pretty tall order for the manufacturer.

Now, consider PDVD. The software is produced by CyberLink, using a number of possible codecs for the unpacking of the containers and relying on the hardware to actually give back clear error-free digital bit-streams along with all the error checking bits etc. Believe me, not all hardware is equal and may handle their own errors differently. At the same time, CL have the same production out-of-control as the HW manufacturer to contend with.

These things will settle down as time goes by, but at the moment the recording technology used by the different production houses is a variable, as is the codec that they use. You may get some idea of the jungle in which CL are operating by reading at this link Blu-Ray , scroll down to 'Software Standards'.

I am a retired engineer/Uni prof/mathematician and have absolutely nothing to do with CL and am a most vocal critic of the unforgiveable errors they make in some other software. All my BR discs have played fine, but I am only talking a few tens of BR disks, not hundreds i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Further to my last, but in the same vein... I note that this disc has "U-Control", Universal Studios own HDi Interactive Format template for the interactive technology used in HD DVD movies, later ported to the BD-J format for use in Blu-ray movies. just one more technological hurdle for any BR player to cover. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Pastry08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2010 06:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
This is def. a cyberlink issue i have read some things about the bluray not playing properly on ps3 but it does play and no new copy protection encrypts have been relesed yet the last was with the avatar releses otherwise they would have updates the software
ROSS [Avatar]
[Post New]
So....there you have it. The company that produces the disc is the creator of the problem.....and why???...well to protect their product no doubt. In their minds eye they see the more protection they put on the disc the better it is for their bottom line...all the while forgetting that if nobody can get it to play that the coffers will not be overflowing. This can all be blamed on the movie pirates and P2P monkeys out there that insist on ripping and sharing with the world something that was NOT theirs to share in the first place. DRM is driving me mad...I mean I understand why....but I still am ticked when it affects me in ways that it should not.....like a disc that will not play....because of a codec...or some other form of protection that will not allow a digital stream to go from one device to another......all beacuse some monkey in a hole somewhere is streaming torrents to the world.... . Ok I am done my rant...as I said...I would just like things to work when I pay for them,,,plain and simple.....
Reseil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 29, 2010 22:12 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
It plays fine on Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3, so it's definitely a player incompatibility.

I own multiple players for this very reason. They seem to flip flop in between functionality. One works fine, then gets borked with a patch or new disc format, but the other works. Then they patch and the cycle continues.

Having paid for upgrades since PDVD 7, this makes me sad.
Viper8828 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2010 17:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
they are messing with this way too much and making it really freakin annoying and terrible. i got a hddvd/bluray player and they gave me powerdvd7 ultra with it for free. then when 2012 and avatar problems came out cyberlink gave me powerdvd 9. that was great and wasnt expecting that but now green zone isnt working. wth is going on - i wasnt even aware of toy story 2 and other issues ugh so freakin frustrating and stupid....is their an update for this yet
Pastry08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2010 06:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
no there isnt they arent even emailing responces to me from tech support anymore they are jerks