Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
powerdirector 365 is painfully slow
Janinca2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2015 11:46 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I just got a new computer and decided to try out pd 365 and editied a few videos fine but suddenly it is painfully slow and laggy and crashes frequently. Has anyone else run into this? I am now regretting my purchase and wonder if i should just go back to Pd 18
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry you're having trouble, and that doesn't sound like what should be happening with a new computer.

Do you have the same problems when opening up older projects you created in PD18? Do you notice problems when you try to make a specific kind of edit, or when you use particular clips?

Even though it's a new computer, it would help to see which drivers are installed and how your system is configured.

Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag results. Can you also confirm that PD365's full version numberis 19.1.2321.0?
Janinca2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2015 11:46 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sorry you're having trouble, and that doesn't sound like what should be happening with a new computer.

Do you have the same problems when opening up older projects you created in PD18? Do you notice problems when you try to make a specific kind of edit, or when you use particular clips?

Even though it's a new computer, it would help to see which drivers are installed and how your system is configured.

Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide and attach the DxDiag results. Can you also confirm that PD365's full version numberis 19.1.2321.0?

I made 3 projects before this one and things seemed fine. This one took about 10 minutes to import the video clips which surprised me but I was able to get about half way through the project before it became a really noticeable problem it is pretty much unusable now. the preview is choppy and stops completely at times. Anything I try to do takes long enough that i will walk away and do ohter things hoping it is done by the time I get back. Yes I checked the version number and it is the same as what you mentioned
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
114 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)
JESSICA123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2018 13:26 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just got a new computer and decided to try out pd 365 and editied a few videos fine but suddenly it is painfully slow and laggy and crashes frequently. Has anyone else run into this? I am now regretting my purchase and wonder if i should just go back to Pd 18

I don't have a new computer, and a last week 365 was working quite quickly, I just started to edit a photo and notice a lag in everything I do. I move slider for anything, brightness, clarity, dehaze... anything it takes a few seconds to show me the result. Really getting annoyed as I just sunk money into a better monitor ready to edit and now this is slow.. ugh.. is it because too many people on internet? I don't know enough to be able to even dig in.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Janinca2, thanks very much for the tech details and more info about what you're experiencing. There's no way PD should take more than a few seconds to import even hundreds of clips, so we'll need to look into that issue too.

For the laptop itself, the drivers are all about a year old and you'll want to update them from this MSI support page.

There are also much newer video drivers from Intel and nVidia for your two built-in GPUs, but sometimes manufacturers discourage or even try to prevent users from installing newer "OEM" drivers directly from the relevent GPU company.

Both sites have utilities that will scan your computer and let you download and install the latest version for your specific hardware, so get the latest VGA drivers from MSI first and then give the newer Intel and nVidia versions a try if the problems are still present.

The DxDiag results also logged the 10 most recent crashes, and PD is prominently featured. You do have the most recent version, although the most recent crash was actually from MSI's "Dragon Center" which looks like some kind of game support app. If that's having problems, you may want to uninstall it then download the most recent version and try again.

You may also want to run the two commands shown in this post to have Windows check its core system files and try to repair any damage it finds. It will only take a couple minutes and this has helped some people get PD working more stabily.

I know this is quite a task list but you're going to end up with everything updated and hopefully you'll also have PD365 working more reliably.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2021 17:25

optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't have a new computer, and a last week 365 was working quite quickly, I just started to edit a photo and notice a lag in everything I do. I move slider for anything, brightness, clarity, dehaze... anything it takes a few seconds to show me the result. Really getting annoyed as I just sunk money into a better monitor ready to edit and now this is slow.. ugh.. is it because too many people on internet? I don't know enough to be able to even dig in.

You may have different issues going on, and it's actually better if you start a new discussion so we can keep things here focused on Janinca2.

Try lowering the preview resolution and make sure you don't have other apps open and running. At times I've found having MS Edge open with multiple tabs has severely impacted PD's performance, so close all unnecessary programs and see if that makes any difference.

If you're still having trouble, please follow the steps I outlined above and attch the DxDiag results when you start a new discussion. We need to see what kind of system you have and make sure it's configured correctly for video editing.
JESSICA123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2018 13:26 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]

You may have different issues going on, and it's actually better if you start a new discussion so we can keep things here focused on Janinca2.

Try lowering the preview resolution and make sure you don't have other apps open and running. At times I've found having MS Edge open with multiple tabs has severely impacted PD's performance, so close all unnecessary programs and see if that makes any difference.

If you're still having trouble, please follow the steps I outlined above and attch the DxDiag results when you start a new discussion. We need to see what kind of system you have and make sure it's configured correctly for video editing.

Thank you, I realize I posted in the wrong for him heading anyway this is in relation to photo director. I do not have any other apps running. I have posted in photo Director with my DXDIAG. I hope perhaps you can help me there.