Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU HW support for render of videos bigger than 4K still not solved? VERY SLOW RENDER
MFoist [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2019 15:13 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

please, just need a confirmation If i really cant do more now. There is still not solved the HW GPU support for videos bigger than 4K? It is terrible frustrating on computer worth $5000 equipped with the highest RTX 2080 GPU looking at 34 hours long render of 5,7K 360° video.

And of course I had before to set up again all the custom profile.ini file because by default it is impossible to do more than 4K. When will come this limitation to an end?
[Thumb - power_director_18_damn_render_360_5-7K.png]
 Filename
power_director_18_damn_render_360_5-7K.png
[Disk]
 Description
34 hours on comp with RTX 2080 there is something really wrong dear developers :)
 Filesize
2247 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2020 06:14

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a lot of missing info here and maybe a couple of incorrect assumptions.

For one, if the Hardware encoder box is available and checked on the Produce page, then you are definitely using your RTX 2080's NVENC. You can easily confirm that by starting to produce with that box unchecked and looking at the estimated time after letting it run for a minute or two.

If the box isn't available, please attach the custom producing profile (if it's different from the one we worked on previously) and your current DxDiag results.

Also, I imagine you paid a lot for the top-of-the-line RTX card, but most of that cost went into gaming capabilites that PD won't ever use. You could have saved lots of money and received the same NVENC performance by buying an RTX 2060/2070 card.

In addition to the system hardware, producing times for any resolution projects are greatly affected by the kinds of edits you've made.

If you only trimmed clips and added titles, you'd get the fastest possible producing times; but if you did any kinds of color correction, for example, that will slow everything down dramatically. See this post where the OP detailed the effects of various edits on producing times.

In your project, you could check to see if there's any particular edit (or types of edits) that slow everything down. If you're comfortable sharing your project, you can pack it and upload it to a cloud folder and paste the link to it here so I and other members can check it out as well.

Sometimes getting a video to look exactly right comes at a very high cost in producing time, and it can help to see if there any alternate ways of making those edits that won't take so long to produce. It's possible that this project is one of those.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There's a lot of missing info here and maybe a couple of incorrect assumptions.

For one, if the Hardware encoder box is available and checked on the Produce page, then you are definitely using your RTX 2080's NVENC. You can easily confirm that by starting to produce with that box unchecked and looking at the estimated time after letting it run for a minute or two.

If the box isn't available, please attach the custom producing profile (if it's different from the one we worked on previously) and your current DxDiag results.

Hello, first of all - thank you for an answer and helpfull attitude as always - I will do tommorrow when render will be done ... I just changed the comp two weeks ago, so I was really curious what the difference will be ...

Regarding your questions:

1) HW encoder I am unable to check - I am 100% sure
2) When I was eager before - I have tried as a first attempt only 4K render with checked HW encoder and it has been really quick
3) I am using some LUTs yes

Profile attached, right now I am using the second one (50 Mbps).

Your further recommendations/advices are welcome! Thank you once again.

Btw: I have to update my signature

Miki
 Filename
Profile.ini
[Disk]
 Description
Custom profiles just set and used ...
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
197 time(s)
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl
https://soundcloud.com/michal-foist

Win 10 Pro 64 b, Acer Predator 15, Nvidia GF GTX 1070 8 G
Gear: Sony FDR-X3000, Gopro fusion, Canon 60D, Huawei mate 10, DJI Phantom 4 Pro
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the additional details. I totally get the excitement of having a powerful new machine built just for doing video edits, and I can see why you're disappointed with not having hardware encoding available. I'm pretty sure we can get that straightened out, and maybe you can exchange your RTX 2080 for a 2060 and get some cash back in your pocket

I loaded your profiles and everything looks good on my machine using the original 5.2k 30fps test clip:

Even better, when I used the Profile Analyzer the Best Matched Format tab came up empty, but the Intelligent SVRT tab had a working profile!

No messing around at all with Profile.ini, so that seems to be far and away the best way to work with these clips

Make sure you generate the Intelligent SVRT profile with a plain source clip on the timeline. It won't work if you have any LUTs or certain other kinds of edits, but you'll be able to use that profile to produce with your RTX even when SVRT can't be used.

When I produced that same project from last time, it took about 1.6 seconds to produce 1 second of video, which would be around 2 hours for your project without the LUTs. If SVRT is available, you should be done in a few minutes!

If you're willing to share your project, I can do more testing and at least give you another point of reference for how long producing your current edits will likely take and if anything can be done to speed it up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2020 12:39

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much, it seems meaningful to me. I have to try it ... litle bit strange feeling to kill the render after 24 hours of running just now ...

1) So now I have first to create another 360 5,7 K project where I will just import and add to timeline some random footage. Then I will try to get to -> produce -> profile analyzer and try to set &save the new profile you described, ok?

2) Then I have to open the production project and just to try render straight away?

Btw: I have no clue how to share with you my entire project since it has the size of around 0,5 TB?

---------------------------

P.S.: I have tried to change my forum signature but it is impossible, I dont have the option in my profile although I checked the "Use signature" button in My Profile settings - strange but we can live w/o this

Here it says: Append Signature ( Signatures can be modified on "My Profile" page )

However in my profile in no such an option https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

Gear: Sony FDR-X3000, Gopro fusion, Canon 60D, Huawei mate 10, DJI Phantom 4 Pro
MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
OMG, nooooooooooo

I killed the render and I had the strange feeling that I should not to do that .... damn, see attached file.

It just does not work abnsolutely. And I lost another 24 hours which is alot.

There is not possible any SVRT. We cant ignore the fact I have different computer than you.
[Thumb - power_director_18_damn_oh_no.png]
 Filename
power_director_18_damn_oh_no.png
[Disk]
 Description
Oh no ...
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

optodata
[Post New]
Ok. One step at a time! This post should solve the missing SVRT issue.

Half a terabyte is a gigantic project to share, but maybe you could save a smaller version of the project with a section that only uses 1 source clip. Keep all the same edits, but just delete all the other sections from the timeline and remove the unused clips from the media library.

Then go to File | Pack Project Materials and save everything to a folder on Google Drive or OneDrive then paste a shareable link here. Send me a private message if you'd like to upload to a folder on my OneDrive account.

Next, please attach the DxDiag results so we can compare computers.

Finally, you can't change your signature until you reach the rank of "Member" which is 50 posts.

YouTube/optodata

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am frustrated like hell with this huge time loss. Attached dxdiag.

1) Unfortunately nope - post was not helpfull. I went into the registry, changed that value and everything is still the same. The only difference is I can check the hw video encoder - however still not the SVRT. ANd btw, the advice in that post was for PD14. Maybe that matters.

After that - there is some 2,8% usage of GPU during the render but 97% is doing standard CPU. Timeline of render remains the same.

2) Do I have to enable the openCL in PD18 settings (I've got it enabled)?

3) I see in the profile.ini file intel low power 1.

4) What is encoder mode - I got it on 0?

5) I can do then some piece of my project for you it but now I lost my energy. I was the whole day working on another computer to let this machine render. Now I killed the process and now recognize I will not have the video until the weekend with 99% probability.
 Filename
DxDiag_28_5_2020.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
211 time(s)

optodata
[Post New]
Quote 1) Unfortunately nope - post was not helpfull. I went into the registry, changed that value and everything is still the same. The only difference is I can check the hw video encoder - however still not the SVRT. ANd btw, the advice in that post was for PD14. Maybe that matters.

If you can check HW box on the Produce page, then everything is working normally with that registry setting. You cannot use SVRT if you have any LUTs in the project because the CPU has to produce every single frame, but your RTX 2080 can produce to the same profile.

Quote After that - there is some 2,8% usage of GPU during the render but 97% is doing standard CPU. Timeline of render remains the same.

I see similar usage on my project. When PD is producing the section with a title, my GPU goes to ~30% with CPU at 100%, but when it's just straight video, my GPU is at 1-2% and CPU is at 100%. Maybe this is a problem with HVENC or PD. I will need to do more testing with other profiles to see.

Quote 2) Do I have to enable the openCL in PD18 settings (I've got it enabled)?

That's only for previewing. It doesn't make any difference when producing.

Quote 3) I see in the profile.ini file intel low power 1.

That's only in the 15Mbps profile. We can try producing with that setting in place and with it removed to see if that makes any difference

Quote 4) What is encoder mode - I got it on 0?

I don't know what that setting does. Maybe other members do, and we can experiment with it.

Quote 5) I can do then some piece of my project for you it but now I lost my energy. I was the whole day working on another computer to let this machine render. Now I killed the process and now recognize I will not have the video until the weekend with 99% probability.

I'm sorry this has cost you so much time. Please come back to this when you have more energy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2020 14:35

YouTube/optodata

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you can check HW box on the Produce page, then everything is working normally with that registry setting. You cannot use SVRT if you have any LUTs in the project because the CPU has to produce every single frame, but your RTX 2080 can produce to the same profile.

Even on the short testproject without any editing I still cant enable the SVRT. The value in registry - Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\DATA is set to 0

That's only for previewing. It doesn't make any difference when producing.

ok I will let it enabled then

That's only in the 15Mbps profile. We can try producing with that setting in place and with it removed to see if that makes any difference

This was copied from the profile.ini what we solved already in different topic last year. Cant be the problem PAL / NTSC? Because I have proper framerate (25 FPS - EUROPEAN PAL) but definitely dont know If in the profle it should be somehow set as well?

I don't know what that setting does. Maybe other members do, and we can experiment with it.

I did now, but no difference. 35 Hours ... in front of me I have to enable the render and say goodbye to weekend ... damn it I should have been recodring on Sat early morning on the same computer my new track https://soundcloud.com/michal-foist and now I am pretty sure, the computer will still render and render and render ... damn ... If I would not interrupt it It was only about 12 hours left

Please What does mean Pre procesing in profile.ini?

I will tryto go for cyberlink support as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2020 15:06

optodata
[Post New]
For SVRT to be shown as an option, the Enable preview during production box must be unchecked. I don't know what Pre processing in the Profile.ini settings means.

Your nVidia drivers are several months old, so please download the v442.92 Studio Version (this is the US English version) then follow the instructions in Step 2 here.

For the registry key, make sure that all the profiles in the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger\DATA folder are set to "0" especially ones similar to SW_MPEG4[H264,AAC]_5120x2560p

Finally, you don't have to give up your computer for the entire weekend! You can highlight a few minutes of the project timeline and then use Range Produce which will only take an hour or so.

That way you can use the PC as needed and give it a bigger section to run overnight. When you're finished, simply place all the produced sections on the timeline of a new project and SVRT should combine them very quickly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2020 15:31

YouTube/optodata

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you again, yes I detected this weird thig with unchecking Enable preview during production as well. However regardless if I have it off I still can't enable SVRT I can enable only the Hardware video encoder option

My Function logger registry keys are ok as I wrote before - so far there are only 2 records ... you can see it attached (remember now is running the render, so the value in screenshot is now 1 because it has changed the value on render start )

Regarding drivers, I know that - basicaly I have the long time user / admin experience, which says that brand new drivers especialy on high end laptops can mess up the whole system behaviour and lot of malfuncionalities. Therefore I am now using the original from acer yet. However Ok, as a next step I will force the update.

Regarding producing (range producing for tests and overnight big renders), I know & agree with you This is the way I always apply but try to fit 35 hours render into one night - and yes I really have some priority timeline for my freetime activities as well because I simply must to have it with 4 childrens and more paralel occupations ... And this project's render attempts started at Tue so I really thought I have a good reserve until the weekend when it should be live on ytb. Therefore I am now forcing the render - it MUST be done ASAP and I lost more than 24 hours when I interrupted it yesterday in a good faith.
[Thumb - power_director_registry.png]
 Filename
power_director_registry.png
[Disk]
 Description
CES function log registry
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

[Post New]
NVENC it's not gonna work on that laptop.

The only laptops that can expose the NVENC encoder to programs are the ones that have the ability to turn off the Intel GPU in BIOS. For that they need to have a hardware multiplexer on board.
Gaming laptops don't have that usually, so they will be forced to do encoding with the Intel CPU/GPU.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2020 14:40

optodata
[Post New]
Quote NVENC it's not gonna work on that laptop.

OP states that he can use hardware encoding so his laptop must have the right configuration.

At the moment it's only SVRT that isn't available, even with bare clips. It's available on my system, although I'm using this 5.2k 30p clip from an earlier thread and not any of his new 5.7K 25p clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2020 14:52

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
It works with the Intel GPU QuickSync. Different capabilities. Not that is bad or worse, but NVIDIA is not used for video editing.
Windows task manager can show what's in use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

PS: Nobody should use 25FPS in this day and age when every display is digital panel running at 60Hz. Or 120Hz like in case of my S20.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 29. 2020 19:34

optodata
[Post New]
I think OP would have mentioned QS rather than HW encoding. When PD can use NVENC, the produce option shows "Hardware video encoder," while it shows "Intel Quick Sync Video" when able to access the iGPU. Task Manager is a good way to be certain, though

YouTube/optodata

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It works with the Intel GPU QuickSync. Different capabilities. Not that is bad or worse, but NVIDIA is not used for video editing.
Windows task manager can show what's in use.

I believe that the OP can have Nvidia hardware encoding based on his attached registry screenshot. In this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/82062.page#post_box_337805 after I performed the test with the Intel MB connection, found my registry entry only had two entries and they have the Dword of (1) and no other lines populated. Today I have multiple lines with Dword of (0).

1. These include the two MFPROFILE_MP4...that I tried to use the Nvidia card on a Intel MB connection on that test have Dword of (1).

2. MSDKTRANS_MP4 and MPEG-2 which I believe is the Intel Quick Sync encoder used.

3. NVKEPLER_MP4 and TS which I believe is the Nvidia card encoder used for mp4 and m2ts.

4. OpenCL which I believe is enabled in preferences at one time but not now.

5. SW_MP4 and TS which I know are software encoding of mp4 and m2ts(avchd) that I am working on right now.

I find that I do not need to change any Dword from (1) to (0) because I will not do another test of trying to access the Nvidia card from the Intel MB. All the hardware encoding do work on my pc when the monitor and graphics cards are properly connected.

Observation is when PowerDirector is installed on a new computer the registry entries for CyberLink\CES\FunctionLogger\DATA may be empty. It gets populated only with the video profiles and resolution that you use after the first crash. The more different ones you use then it will be populated with more lines and entries.

The OP registry screenshot tells me that he used a Nvidia mpeg-4 4096 x 3072p profile successfully and the Software encoding of 5760 x 2880p with Dword of (1) is not successful and he needs to fix it with the documentation already supplied by optodata before continuing so that he can be successful.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 29. 2020 23:01

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
LoL, now I am pretty confused at all ... so I am waiting for answer from cyberlink directly. Render done after day'n half, and it has been slightly faster than expected (+-15%) ... maybe because of using the variable in profile.in set on "<Intel Low Power>0" .. nothing else I did. But it is very slow definitely.

Hm, otherwise I am not sure, but I have RTX2080 and it should have the NVENC support, ther previous GTX1070 on my predator15 had it as well.

If I understand correctly, optodata has NVIDIA RTX 2070 and is satisfied or not? I am just expecting similar maybe up to -25% loweered performace results because of fact it is a laptop, not the -95% difference whatit shows now https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]

OP states ...

What does it mean - "OP" pls in this case? https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

optodata
[Post New]
Quote What does it mean - "OP" pls in this case?

"Original Poster" which means you in this thread

YouTube/optodata