Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I prefer overlap
I had a similar frustrations myself. I spent a lot of money on various brands of DVD's and types of DVD's including -R +R, dual layer, etc. None of that fixed the issue for me.

I finally eneded up purchasing the latest and greated model DVD +/-R DL burner (An LG) and the problem went away.

I'm not advising you to purchase a new DVD burner to fix your problem because I'm not sure if it's the exact same problem I had. But if you have some money to spend, it's worth a shot.

Good luck to you. I know how frustrating that is (and costly due to all the wasted DVD's).
The extract audio feature extracts audio to the highest quality format, a .wav file. Those are, by nature, larger than compressed files like mpg because they are high quality.

You can find many free utilities out there to compress the finished .wav files into .mp3 files if the final .wav file is too big for your liking.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=convert+wav+to+mp3+free&aq=f&aqi=g10&oq=&fp=7bb90598241b844f

Note: the original media file you are extracting from is probably already a compressed format and when you extract audio, you are un-compressing it and storing it as raw .wav file data, which is larger.

Hope that answers your question.
One of my cameras is a Canon Vixia HF20. The AVCHD files (which have an .mts file extension) work perfectly in PowerDirector 7 and 8. In fact, not to be biased (they know I'm not) but PD8 handles AVCHD files better than any other software I've tried, including Adobe Premiere Elements 7 (which is very very slow compared to PD.

But I should also point out that I live in the States and my files are all set for NTFS, not PAL. So this specific question doesn't really apply to me since the "mixing" of both progressive and interlace doesn't really apply to me. I just wanted to let you know that PD8 works great for me.

Have you tried the free trial version yet?
Quote: Does this tool work for PD8 ... and am I understanding correctly this will allow one to make a mask with a soft edge?

Thanks in advance

Yes, the new version (v 3.0) does work with PD8.

PD8 now supports PNG image files as masks (instead of their own .msk format in PD7).

All the mask converter does is convert white pixels in a bitmap image to fully transparent pixels in a PNG image. It then stores that file in the .../PowerDirector/Masks folder.

The mask converter does not support gradient transparent pixels. You'd have to create your own PNG image with graphics software that supports PNG and transparency opaqueness. (like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop)

However, even if you had such software, and could make a PNG image of the correct dimensions and with a gradient alpha transparency, I'm not sure that PD8 would support it. I would be surprised if it did. But, I am skeptical.

There is one alternative. If you're careful about how you place your white pixels in your original BMP file, the resulting mask could appear like it has a gradient (faded) edge. But it would be pixelated, not soft. What I mean is, make a latice of pixels. A grid that has spaces between the transparent pixels. The density of transparent individual pixels would be greater toward the edge than closer to the center of the mask.

Sort of like a "halftone." (Google it)

You could try experimenting with different sized PNG files too. The larger it is, the more individual pixels you'll have and the softer the edge will be.

Hope all this makes sense.

Good luck.
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to copy a clip from a PiP track into the main track? That feature would solve most of my problems editing multiple camera angles of the same shot.
Too funny.
Quote: You can never have too many versions of Powerdirector laying around..

Yeah, I was just saying to myself the other day...
Make sure "Movie" is selected and not "Clip" (next to the play button)
Are you sure it says PowerDirector 8 and not PowerDVD (a different product)?

By the way, I don't like paying for advertisments either. I'd love to know how to disable it.
Thanks for the info!
Quote:
Can you please clarify this for me? I don't understand what you're trying to communicate.

Sorry, my english is very bad and old.

I mean:

If I make one mask with your converter I go to my temp-folder with my bmp-pictures, convert it and save it auomaticly in the mask-folder. When I will try to make the next mask I click on th ebutton "Load bitmap" and I see the mask-folder and not my old temp-folder. Is it possible to get the first selctetd folder, if I will make more than one mask with the greeat converter-tool?

I believe I understand now.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check into it. Right now I'm at work, so I have to wait until I'm off duty before I work on this.

Stay tuned.
You're welcome Georg.

Quote:
1 if you make the mask as an png-file, you have two areas - tranparency and white. If you make the mask as an bmp-file for converting - the areas must be black (for the picture) and white for the transparency

right?

When I originally created the mask converter utility, I chose to use white to define transparent areas. So to avoid confusion I kept it that way. In other words, the mask converter will convert any white pixel into a transparent area in either PD7 or PD8 (whichever you choose as output when you go to save your mask files).

PowerDirector's new ability to use transparent PNG files means any pixel with a color that is not transparent (black, white, yellow, whatever) will be the part that blocks out video and the transparent areas become what shows thru. (which makes sense)

So, yes, in essense your statement is correct.

Just remember that the mask converter utility converts white pixels into transparent pixels (whether the output is the old .msk format of PD7 or the new .png format in PD. So when you build a bitmap image, use white to define areas that should show thru in the finished mask.

If you build your own PNG files, I suggest using an other color (not white) to define areas that should be masked out (non transparent). That way you avoid confusion.

Quote: 2. If I make more than one mask with the converting-tool from Charles, I must switch the folder for a second mask to the first source-folder. To load a new bitmap the converting-tools shows me in the second time the mask-folder.

Can you please clarify this for me? I don't understand what you're trying to communicate.
Quote: Charles -

The cavalry has arrived! (I tried to insert a bugley fanfare, but it didn't work) What a star!

Your mask converter was well and truly employed by this little black duck in PD7 & I look forward to applying it in PD8.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony.

I should take this opportunity to elaborate about the two bugs in PD8, just so people know.

The first bug has to do with how custom 16:9 widescreen masks (864 pixels by 486 pixels) behave in the PiP designer.

First, it appears that the aspect ratio of the PiP window is determined by the format of the movie, not the dimensions of the PiP mask that you select. (unfortunately)

The developer apparently did not anticipate any of us ever needing a widescreen PiP mask, despite the ever growing popularity of HD and widescreen cameras.

So the PiP designer interface is designed with the assumption that all masks will be 4:3 full screen (720x540) masks. And, in fact, they only provide us with full screen masks to begin with.

To overcome the problem of using a default full-screen mask in a widescreen movie, the developer wrote code to allow you to move the full-screen mask within the area of your widescreen PiP window. The developer also added a feature to allow you to stretch out a full-screen mask to make it fit into a widescreen area. (If you un-check the “Maintain Mask Aspect Ratio” checkbox)

Of course, if you stretch a full screen mask to fit into a widescreen window, the mask becomes distorted. This is most noticeable if your mask contains diagonals like with triangles or star shapes. Try it with the Star full screen mask that they provide, you’ll see what I mean.

But that’s not the problem. When you select a custom mask that has been created with widescreen dimensions (864 x 486), PowerDirector automatically converts it (distorting it) into 4:3 aspect ratio. This means you must un-check the “Maintain Mask Aspect Ratio” checkbox, and then manually widen the mask back to 16:9 aspect ratio.

But be aware that because you’re manually resizing the mask BACK to widescreen (because PD8 resized it to full screen) your mask may still be slightly distorted. This distortion is most apparent with shapes that have diagonal lines or curves like triangles, circles or star shapes. A little practice and tweaking and you should be able to remove the distortion.

The second bug has to do with the PiP Designer’s mask selector interface that shows the thumbnails of the masks available. For some reason, the last custom mask that you add to the Masks folder gets duplicated. In other words, you see two icons in the pick list for the same mask. If you add more than one, then it only happens to the last one (so far as I can tell). There’s nothing serious about this bug, you can ignore it. If you pick either of the duplicates in the pick list, they will work the same.

Well, hope this helps someone.

Happy movie making!
Not that this will help much, due to the bugs in PowerDirector 8, but I created a new version of the Mask tool.

It simplifies the process of creating a mask a little bit. Espencially for those who don't know much about graphics and alpha transparency channels in PNG image formats.

Download it at the link below.

Note: This is beta, I'm waiting for them to release a bug fix before I release it officially.

http://www.charlesforsyth.com/downloads/

The software supports both versions now. So when you save your mask, make sure to select the correct version of Power Director from the drop-down list.
Quote: They removed that feature in PD8. Hopefully it will return in a patch. CL through this forum and Dafydd have been made aware of it.

EDIT:
I should have supplied the link
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7491.page#30734

Jeff

Thanks JL.

I thought because the interface was changed it was hidden somewhere. Knowing it's not there at least stops me from scratching my head and spending more time looking for it.
Quote: Hi Charles - long time!

Jeff - excellent posting in that thread - not sure how I missed it before.

Charles - re crashing. I assume you have a set of "pre-produced" clips on the timeline (each chapter). If not, might that alleviate the problem???

Cheers - Tony

Hi again Tony,

Each of the chapters is it's own file that has been pre-produced. (I was trained to do that due to problems with version 7).

I can reproduce it every time. If I want to edit video I have to close the project and all files in the library. Then I can successfully open and edit menus. But I can't make them still images.

It's looking like I'm going to have to go with third-party software for my menu editing too.

I wonder: How much of this product doesn't work quite right and requires users to purchase third-party software to get their job done right? So far, that's two strikes. Custom PiP Masks and Menus.

To tell the truth I'm pretty upset about paying for this upgrade. My loyalty is swaying as a result.

The only reason I purchased it was because they changed how PiP masks work and I had to figure out what the change was so I could re-write my custom PiP Mask converter tool. (Which is done by the way, but I'm waiting for them to fix a different bug with widescreen PiP masks before I release it)
Anyone know how to make the chapter selector buttons display as a static chapter images, and not animated video clips?

Also note: The video I'm working on now has 23 chapters and is only an hour long in 4:3 format. While it is loaded if I attempt to edit or create a new menu, PowerDirector 8 freezes up and I have to end task.
By the way, if you don't know what the "moire effect" means, click the link below.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+moire+effect

That's one funny video!

LOL
Go to: