Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlap transitions - Are they your preferred choice?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Only post a reply if OVERLAP TRANSITIONS are your preferred default transition.

Overlap transitions are now the default, with the ability to switch to cross transitions by right click and select. The two transition types have significantly different effects on the whole timeline. This default has generated much debate.

In an effort to determine the default transition type most favoured by editors, please post a reply to this thread if your preference is the OVERLAP TRANSITION, or post to thread
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14571.page#69746
if it is the CROSS TRANSITION.

In order not to produce a massive thread, please give no more than 2 short reasons for your preference. I hope to be able to get the results forwarded to CL for their ongoing development programme.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 11:14

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Both when they function correctly and move TL correctly, it's a user preference, put a tick to select overlap or cross as default in Preferences > Editing > where the control for default transition duration currently is.
Georg (VI)
Senior Contributor Location: Korschenbroich / Deutschland Joined: Mar 18, 2007 09:27 Messages: 1309 Offline
[Post New]
The same as JL_JL

and as a shortcut like normal with the mous and in second way with the shift- or ctrl key in other way Viele Gruesse Georg
deBabba
Member Location: Frankfurt, Germany Joined: Nov 28, 2009 10:33 Messages: 88 Offline
[Post New]
Guys,
we are asked what should be the default. This means the Highlander principle is valid:
"There could only be one"

My clear opinion is
KEEP OVERLAP AS THE DEFAULT !
1) overlap is the way a user knows from PD8. Cross confuses everybody even advanced users.
2) it is by far the most common transition type.
3) it works perfekt for crossfades which is the most popular transition
beside "no effect" - which only crossfades the audio.
Another urgent request is:
give the back the duration button please. There is no reason for removing it at least not for overlap transitions !

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 12. 2010 12:41

I7-860, 4GB RAM, ATI HD5770, Win7 64, PD9 latest patch, Canon HG10 1440x1080 16Mbit/s, WD TV player

Best regards from Frankfurt, Germany
Andy
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Guys,
we are asked what should be the default. This means the Highlander principle is valid:
"There could only be one"

My clear opinion is
KEEP OVERLAP AS THE DEFAULT !
1) overlap is the way a user knows from PD8. Cross confuses everybody even advanced users.
2) it is by far the most common transition type.
3) it works perfekt for crossfades which is the most popular transition
beside "no effect" - which only crossfades the audio.
Another urgent request is:
give the back the duration button please. There is no reason for removing it at least not for overlap transitions !

100% agree!
I hardly use any other transition (only confuses the spectators).
And: give the back the duration button please.

Michael.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I find that I like the end result of the overlap transitions better. It just seems smoother to me, but I don't much care for the time line shift.

For me, the overlap should be the default. New users may find the cross a little easier to work with. A user preference would be nice, but keep the button for a quick switch. If I have to choose, it would be overlap. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Overlap for me.

I'm a PD9 Newbie from Corel Video Studio and use the cross transition there between clips. I was adding an Overlap and then changing it to a cross but it kind of looked odd in not blending the two clips together as I was used to in VS. Overlap does this for me and while I see it change the project duration, this is not an issue to me. PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Both when they function correctly and move TL correctly, it's a user preference, put a tick to select overlap or cross as default in Preferences > Editing > where the control for default transition duration currently is.

I agree with this, as long as there is an option to choose your default, it allows the editor to use whatever is more comfortable for them. Mind you I still would like to set the duration per transition.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
I recommend the overlap. It does less violence to the edited flow of the video and adds unconscious smoothness to a shift in scenes.

A no-transition shift is preferable to a cross transition if excitement or rapt attention is desired.

The cross transition is most preferred only when comedy or conscious comparison of shifting scenes is involved.

No change to the current default should be made without an added option to set the overlap as default.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Overlap for me.

HOWEVER, one new feature for me in PD9 was the ability to split audio and video on a section of a clip. This has allowed me to artistic in the same way that you see in many commercial movies - the audio of the the next clip in time is placed over the audio of the preceding clip. Easy to do in PD9

Witness: a dialog between players in a room suddenly has audio of a railway station while we are still looking at a scene in a room. Then the video snaps to a scene of the railway station. The audio has alerted us to the change of scene.

VIDEO - ROOMROOMROOMROOMROOMROOMSTATIONSTATIONSTATIONSTATIONST
AUDIO - ROOMROOMROOMROOMROOMSTATIONSTATIONSTATIONSTATIONSTATION

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2010 16:46

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
bobfrombrissie
Newbie Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Feb 10, 2008 05:28 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Overlap for me. Always used it.

Bob B

[Post New]
Overlap for reasons others have stated and YES - BRING BACK THE DURATION BUTTON. So fast and easy to use the duration button versus dragging both ends of a transition on the timeline. I haven't even upgraded to PD 9 yet and I already miss the duration button!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2010 20:37

Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
[Post New]
Overlap transition!

It is from technical point of view the best solution, particularly with regard to moving objects in the transition area. _________________

Gruss,

Hans-Joachim
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Overlap for me also.

Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
George1938
Senior Member Location: Northern & Central New York, Summer & Orlando, FL winter Joined: Jun 20, 2009 04:58 Messages: 162 Offline
[Post New]

Yes Overlap, I tend to not use many transitions and then mostly fade and mainly in wildlife when I go from one species to another. I prefer the overlap to end a species in fade and a sharp beginning of the next subject. Between clips of the same subject I seldom use, but when two clips conflict I then prefer the Cross Fade. YES - BRING BACK THE DURATION BUTTON.

George Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
64 Bit Operating Sytem
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1248 MB Memory

Canon HF S21 & Canon HG21
AndrewMare
Newbie Location: Bournemouth, UK Joined: Sep 14, 2008 17:43 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Overlap,

I find that it provides a smoother, more professional looking transition. Please bring back the duration button.
CharlesF
Member Location: Everett, Washington. U.S.A. Joined: Apr 16, 2009 20:49 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I prefer overlap
ZoltanCanonHF200 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2009 07:30 Messages: 64 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All,

+1 Overlap.

TimeLine-wise it's more logical, and also both clips are 'live' during the transition in contrast to cross where 1 of the clips is always freezed.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
+1 overlap with both clips live. I have produced some very nice effects with the two clips fading in and out of each other. Having one clip freeze does not look good at all. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Laurian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2010 11:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Definitely overlap.
It also does a smooth transition between the audio tracks as well, which crossfade lacks.