Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Onkyo 905 has an issue with with it's EDID that stops HD audio bitstreaming from working with the ATI HD5xxx cards.

If this is the case it can be fixed by overriding the EDID with a patched version. Try googling EDID override for information.
Quote: Randy,

Last time I checked PDVD 7.3 Ultra patched to 5711 still worked with HD-DVD's with the LG GGC-H20L, and Windows 7.

As far as I'm concerned 4407 (not the 4407a patch because that disables the keyboard) is the last stable version of PDVD 7.3.

The latest 5711 patch disables the audio on HD-DVD playback if you happen to be using an Auzentech HomeTheater HD card as I do in my main HTPC.
I had bitstreaming via an HD5xxx card working with the patch released on 27th November 2009 but it now doesn't work with the latest patch.

I rolled back to the previous patch and it still doesn't work.
Have you downloaded the update and installed it?

It normally opens up the web browser on the download page if you click YES although I have found that if you don't download the update the first time it doesn't open the web browser again.
Give this a go.

Go into settings and open the Player tab and see if the "Automatically connect to the internet for product information" option is checked.

If it is then uncheck it and restart PDVD and the keyboard should now work. It worked for me.
You probably ain't going to like me but I'm running 2227 on Vista Ultimate and I'm not having any problems at all.
The current release only support bitstreaming with the Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD soundcard.
PDVD 7.3 is not going to be supported on Windows 7 which gives me one very good reason not to upgrade from Vista on my HTPC as I have a large collection of HD DVD's.

Also PDVD9 is working perfectly so I wouldn't like to end up with problems.
Quote:
Quote:
In the end I had to reinstall 7.3 and put it back to build 4407 which is the last version that plays HD DVD's without any problem.

right, i've been trying to go back to 4617 which had been working really well for me and also i tried 4407 but both to no avail.

the critical update message just keeps coming agian and again and won't let me play any blu rays.

in the past i could just install 4617 and it would shut the program up for a good while but now i've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times in the last day and a half i just don't know what's gone wrong.

This only seems to happen with Blu-Ray disks.

As I said, I only use 7.3 to play HD DVD's and once you click NO the warning doesn't come up any more when HD DVD disks are played. Hopefully it will stay that way because when Cyberlink dropped support for HD DVD playback in PDVD 8 they stated that 7.3 would always coexist with later versions so that customers would still be able to play HD DVD's.

I might be a bit cynical here but I would say it ploy to try and make customers that play Blu-Ray disks to upgrade to PDVD 9.
Quote: hi,

I'm using Ultra 7.3 OEM but have been avoiding updates after 4617 b/c they have been problematic. yesterday though, that '...require periodic updates...' message popped up and won't go away.

in the past i was able to just reinstall 4617 and it would go away for a while, but now it won't play any blu rays and just keep showing that message from the moment i hit play.

i've tried clean installs and renaming evoparser.dll all to no avail. i even gave the new (5711?) patch a try, but that one seems to just break the software altogether (hit play and nothing happens- doesn't even try to read the drive).

has anyone got any ideas?

thanks

I have exactly the same issue with Blu-Ray discs and 7.3 Ultra. The periodic update message keeps coming up even after pressing NO.

I only discovered this by accident because I normally use PDVD9 for Blu-Ray playback and keep 7.3 for HD-DVD playback only except on this occasion I started 7.3 by mistake.

In the end I just did the update an Blu-Ray playback is OK but when I try to play HD-DVD's it disables the soundcard and the Audio tab disappears from the Configuration option.

In the end I had to reinstall 7.3 and put it back to build 4407 which is the last version that plays HD DVD's without any problem.
Quote: Dear BJB,

I strongl y recommend that you download and install the patch that is offered by the installed PowerDVD 7.3 Version (in your case - CyberLink.5711_TaRe43_DVD090821-08 - right?)

It will contain the latest compatibility updates and patches.

Br
Michael

If you play HD DVD's I wouldn't install the patch because it disables the soundcard (as in completely removing the audio tab in the configuration) when you try to play them. This patch and the last on have been a total disaster if you want to play HD DVD's.
One reason I'm keeping my HTPC on Vista and I also have a large collection of HD DVD's so I need to keep 7.3 as well to play them although I may look into getting a second hand EP35 at some stage.

Mind you when I install the 5711 patch blu-ray's play OK (not that I use 7.3 to play BD disks because 9 has the HD audio bitstreaming option) but when I try to play a HD DVD it disables my Auzen HomeTheater HD card and I have restart it to get the card working again.

Ended up going back to 4407 which is the last version that plays HD DVD's properly.
Quote:
Quote: ...no surprise.

I tried it with Auzen HD soundcard (revision before this patch), you get a option for HD sound bitstream, but just shattering sound out of the AV-Amp (Onkyo 5507).

hmm... I have no problem at all with Auzen HTHD and Onkyo 876 AVR. No single problem since earlier PDVD9 release until recent update. Both TrueHD and DTS MA HD are working good. Tried on transformer 1 & 2.

Same here no problem at all with this or the previous patch. It's nice not having to reselect bitstreaming every time now.
Quote: Why is powerdvd so horrible? With each update/patch they cripple their own software more and more. Used to support Iso playback from harddrive, that was great let's cripple that( thank god for my movies and daemon tools ) A few releases ago you can actually stream at least Dolby digital / Drs over Hdmi but what the hell let's release a new patch that does away with that and causes audio distortion hopefully destroying someone speakers. Wait let's release a Beta version of Powerdvd to some selected websites ( Anadtech / HardOcp ) and show off Bitstreaming and Dts Master audio as well as True Hd audio and get people to buy are software only to not deliver on that either. Well I'm about to wipe my ass of this company they lie more then mainstream media or any politician, Buyer Beware.

I must say I don't have any problem at all with bitstreaming with PDVD9 over HDMI.

DD and DTS both work fine and now with the Auzentech HomeTheater HD card, I get TrueHD and DTS MA-HD no problem.
Why have you downloaded the trial version of the software because you should have got a copy of the retail version with the key?

If you only got the key I would question whether the key is actually valid.
Quote: My speaker setup is 5.1 in soundcard control and 6 speakers in pdvd9 control.

When I play music file and choose dolby prologic under audio tab, the sound is better but there is no signal sent to subwoofer. I have to select truetheatre in order to make the subwoofer works.

If I choose "bass redirection" at soundcard control panel I can get the subwoofer working, but this will cut off some bass from the front and rear speaker.

Is that how prologic works or there is error in implementation?

Prologic optionally supports the LFE channel but unless the source is surround encoded with the LFE channel included then the sub won't be sent a signal. Since most music isn't surround encoded there is no LFE channel.

Bass redirection is just as it says, it redirects any bass sound below the crossover frequency to the sub which is why some of the bass is cut from the front speakers.

In answer to your question - the Prologic implementation is working exactly how it should.
Are you using a DVI-DVI cable to connect to the monitor?

I had a similar problem with an HDCP compliant LG display using a DVI-DVI cable. The solution I found was to use the HDMI adapter that came with the graphics card and use an HDMI-DVI cable.
Quote:
Quote: Anandtech tested the Radeon 5870 with the beta 2110 release and since the current version is 2115 I would have assumed bitstreaming would work with the 5870.

I could be wrong though because I have the Auzentech card. I'm also wondering if like the Auzen card, HD audio bitstreaming is only supported with Vista and Windows 7.

There's no HD bitstream option in the audio menue in the actual PDVD Ultra. I guess the testers got a pimped version, maybe there are political problems to offer the function for all users... (don't hope so)

Maybe there's been some issues raised in beta testing that has delayed the 5870 support because I came across a different review using the same beta version but the reviewer couldn't get the HD bitsreaming to work. All he could get was 2 channel LPCM output no matter what he tried.
My Documents is actually the correct place for data such as the playlist files as defined by Microsoft.

There may be an environmental variable to change the location but I have no idea if there is.
Quote: Oh boy - this soft is real buggy.

Power DVD9 shows black as a dark grey when watching BDs.

This is a software problem, and I'm not the only one who got it.

I got round it by setting the HDMI Black Level on my TV to Low and recalibrating the display using the Avivo colour adjustments in Catalyst Control Center.

This black level problem only appeared when I updated to the build that supports the Auzentech HomeTheater HD soundcard.
Go to: