Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Getting better quality photo snapshots
Jennie Derbyshire [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2019 09:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I'm trying to take some photo snapshots from a video but they aren't coming out very good quality, even though the video itself is high resolution.

Could anybody help as to how I can improve this or is the snapshot tool just not high quality?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Usually the quality of the snapshop is the same resolution of the video on the timeline. However is some cases, it is the resollution of the computer monitor.

If you have shadow files enabled, it could be the resolution of the shadow file.

If you were to post a screen shot of your condition. we may can tell more. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Change the snapshot format to .PNG instead of JPG. .BMP should also work.

You can do that by changing the Save as type setting in the Save As window when you take each snapshot, or set the default from the Preferences menu like this:

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm trying to take some photo snapshots from a video but they aren't coming out very good quality, even though the video itself is high resolution.

Could anybody help as to how I can improve this or is the snapshot tool just not high quality?

By high resolution video I assume you mean greater than 1920x1080. If so, it's not really a snapshot format issue but snapshots of content in the timeline are always 1920x1080 regardless of video quality. To circumvent, use Freeze Frame in the timeline, or snapshot from the media library playback.

The issue was thoroughly hashed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/50730.page#post_box_267348 even though CL implied a revisit and even acknowledged Freeze Frame option was a bug, no change in 2 1/2 years so use until it changes.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2019 18:54