Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Snapshots take at 1080P on 2.7K video
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I guess I’ll infer from the total lack of PDM response for over a week to a simple request to show how this newly refined and simplified PD15 snapshot feature is capable of creating high resolution timeline content snapshots means the PD product team realizes that more work is required to support previous snapshot capability and the released PD15 refined snapshot approach was a coding flop from a user functionality perspective. A sincere thank you, once again, for a well thought out refined improvement, implementation and full functionality evaluation through QA. Maybe with any luck CL can release a patch with a functional refined snapshot feature.

With forum support like that to a simple request, I too see my small voluntary contributions dwindling, I’ll check back again in several months when maybe some of the many release and longtime bugs might be corrected.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We apologize for the delay, just a miscommunication on our team here.

We actually disscovered that there was also a misunderstanding in the email content that was copied in this thread, which was written by a non native speaker.

Currently in PowerDirector 15, 4K snapshots can only* be achieved when the video file is in the media library. The feature was removed because of the reason noted in the email:

"in previous version, the snapshots taken from timeline “track 1” only will be the same as the source original resolution. It confused users that the snapshots taken in timeline track 1 and other tracks are different."

* The fact that 4K snapshots are still available in Freeze Frame is a "bug" (it wasn't changed as well). RD and PM are currently discussing revisiting this feature because of this discussion.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2017 19:45

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

We apologize for the delay, just a miscommunication on our team here.

We actually disscovered that there was also a misunderstanding in the email content that was copied in this thread, which was written by a non native speaker.

Currently in PowerDirector 15, 4K snapshots can only* be achieved when the video file is in the media library. The feature was removed because of the reason noted in the email:

"in previous version, the snapshots taken from timeline “track 1” only will be the same as the source original resolution. It confused users that the snapshots taken in timeline track 1 and other tracks are different."

* The fact that 4K snapshots are still available in Freeze Frame is a "bug" (it wasn't changed as well). RD and PM are currently discussing revisiting this feature because of this discussion.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up and the mention of CL to revisit what was done to the snapshot feature at PD15. To me what seems most appropriate for the end user editing needs of snapshot would be the following characteristics:

1) Each snapshot should maintain the same video resolution from which it's taken
2) Proper snapshot resolution for the video in any track number regardless of other track content
3) Maintain the higher resolution snapshot for any overlaid video track content of multiple resolutions videos
4) Proper snapshot resolution for any FX, Title, PIP, Particles, or Transitions or any other editing feature that may have been added and in effect at the current scrubber position
5) Snapshot has to be achievable from current timeline scrubber in both "Clip" and "Movie" mode
6) When “shadow files” are utilized, snapshots should be of the original video resolution, not the “shadow file”
7) Snapshot resolution should not follow “Preview Quality” (unless you provide a opt out setting in preferences) as many edit high resolution video content but can’t have the current timeline fluidity burden of a Full HD “Preview Quality”
8) Snapshot resolution should not follow any current monitor display resolution
9) Snapshots from the media library are interesting but not my normal use. In fact, I can not think of a single instance I've done that in my editing. I use timeline snapshots very often.
10) Some user aspect needs I've maybe overlooked brought forth by another forum contributor

To me, if a snapshot feature achieves the above with simplicity, it would be a very welcome feature for many editors, be it for tutorials, family activities, sports, game replays, or those small film enthusiast.

From what I see, contrary to dev note, "in previous version, the snapshots taken from timeline “track 1” only will be the same as the source original resolution." was not really how it worked. The track 1 only aspect was not really correct, one could always achieve snapshot of the current resolution of video in any track with PD14. Yes one needed a very minor workaround but at least it was possible. That workaround was clearly documented here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42972.page#post_box_221878

Freeze frame is no substitute for the simplicity of snapshot.

Thanks again for the revisit of the snapshot functionality.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2017 21:34

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I think a snapshot from the timeline should be the same resolution of the PROJECT from any track and I should have a choice to take a snapshot from any point on the timeline that includes ALL tracks, effects, text, or transition.

Snapshots from the Media Library should be the same as the file chosen. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA