Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Effects affects all videos instead of just the selected videos like PD 16 did.
Trevonte' [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2018 00:19 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
In PowerDirector 16, when I added a transition to two videos it would affect just those two videos. Now in PowerDirector 17, the transitions affect any videos above where the transition is placed. Now I wouldn't have a problem except for that I'm using PhotoDirector to crop out objects of full images and placing them on top of the original image. If I tried the other way around then the original image would be overlapping the cropped out object. Is there a way to control this feature to make it work as PowerDirector 16 did?
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the behaviour that you describe Transitions I add are only affecting the two clips that I add them to.

Perhaps you could show us what you mean?

Regards

Phil
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In PowerDirector 16, when I added a transition to two videos it would affect just those two videos. Now in PowerDirector 17, the transitions affect any videos above where the transition is placed. Now I wouldn't have a problem except for that I'm using PhotoDirector to crop out objects of full images and placing them on top of the original image. If I tried the other way around then the original image would be overlapping the cropped out object. Is there a way to control this feature to make it work as PowerDirector 16 did?

There are icon options under the transition room, when open, to apply transitions to all videos. Have you accidentally enabled that feature?
Trevonte' [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the behaviour that you describe Transitions I add are only affecting the two clips that I add them to.

Perhaps you could show us what you mean?

Regards

Phil

I'll have some screenshots up to show you how my transitions are working.
Trevonte' [Avatar]
[Post New]

There are icon options under the transition room, when open, to apply transitions to all videos. Have you accidentally enabled that feature?

I read something about this but I never pressed those buttons. If I did, however, how do I disable it?
Trevonte' [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'll have some screenshots up to show you how my transitions are working.

Here are the screenshots.
The 1st picture shows the two images at the bottom with the transition and the background image.
The 2nd image, I moved my image over so you could see the background and the image at the same time.
The 3rd image shows the transition moving both the selected images and the background image.
[Thumb - LaptopScreenShot.png]
 Filename
LaptopScreenShot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
439 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - LaptopScreenShot2.png]
 Filename
LaptopScreenShot2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
429 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Thumb - LaptopScreenShot1.png]
 Filename
LaptopScreenShot1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
443 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2018 17:58

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the screenshots. That's really strange.

I don't see that with a ProDad Dissolve Effect - the Track 2 clip fades to (transparent) black and lets the Track 1 clip show through unaffected:

Cyberlink just released the v2314 patch (for both standalone PD installations and the subscription version). Try installing that first and see if the update changes anything.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 26. 2018 14:48

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Trevonte' -

Just to confirm optodata's observation...

Here, even with overlaid PiP objects as you've used with the background removed, a transition applied to one track only affects that track - not lower numbered ones.

What transitions are you using? There are some that have shown similar behaviour in previous versions of PDR.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Trevonte' [Avatar]
[Post New]
PD just came with an update, I'll update it real quick and see if it fixes the problem. I'll also take a look at other transitions as it may just be the specific transition I'm using.

UPDATE: So the specific transition I was using was the problem as well as some other transitions from the "Geometric" tab. I used other transitions and didn't have the same issue. I'll try to see if I can modify them to work properly and I'll also send it to the developers as a bug and see what they can do about it. Thank you ynotfish, optodata, TDK1044, and Philwild!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 26. 2018 19:29

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Yes - that's the issue. It's been that way with some transitions for yonks.

Here's another thread where it was discussed.

Those Geometric transitions are some of the worst culprits - just pick something else. The attached screenshot shows the Geometric transitions that affect the whole screen - not just the PiP overlay.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PiP Transitions .jpg]
 Filename
PiP Transitions .jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
494 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Here's an update on this thread. Little has changed since PDR14, but some transitions behave differently in PDR17.

When a transition is applied to a PiP overlay, some transitions interfere with the background image/video either by overlaying it or demolishing it temporarily. Other transitions (most) have no effect on the background.

They're listed in the attached PDF.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
PDR17_Transitions in PiP.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2018 14:40