Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Still problems importing video clips into Power Director 15.
Jimp77
Newbie Location: Guernsey GB Joined: Aug 19, 2016 16:33 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Yesterday i managed to import 20 or so short clips as a test having followed Hatti's suggestion to ensure a big amount of disk space is available. I then began to edit initially by reducing length of clips and deleting some, saved the project OK and thought the problems I had been having had been resolved.

Before this one success, import had been failing every time with the message
This feature is not supported by your verion of the software (Very unhelpfully it did not state which feature was not supported.)

Equally unhelpfully it offered me the chance to upgrade as if that was the solution, although replies to my earlier posting and my one success indicated that the camera software combination should work fine.

Today I tried to set up a new project importing a slightly larger number of files. I cannot get past the same error message and have no clue why the import apparently fails. If I click away the message it reverts to previous screen and sits waiting.

If I drag the Failure message to one side, I see a blue bar in message box. The bar runs the full width of the box and the title is
Importing Media (100%) it also refers to the last clip in the list (I have just been trying to import 3 or 4 very short clips as a test.
After that there is nothing further. I expected to see the short video files having been imported. But nothing. I waited (Hatti said recoding was needed) but still no signs of anything happening.

I tried with just one short clip to minimise recodng time. Still nothing except the ''Feature not supported - ''box and behind that the Importing Media action box.- -

I would be pleased to have suggestions - my impression so far is that the software is very far from intuitive and in some cases it seems to be downright unhelpful - surely simple tasks like importing a few short clips should be repeatable.

Of course the problem may just be one of my inexperience with the software. Could there be a rogue preference setting. As far as i am aware I am using the same preferences as yesterday when it worked (once only out of 20 or more attempts to import data).

This is a separate posting to follow up the very recent one on importing video clips, which was effectively ended when I happily posted that thanks to Hatti my import problem had been solved!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2018 22:10

Jimp77
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
How about posting the dxdiag output from your computer as described in the 4th post HERE.
Jimp77
[Post New]
Hi Longedge
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/65639.page

is the link. I have followed Hatti's advice meanwhile.
Try to attach here the DXDiag file as suggested.

I have submitted several times with ths txt file and a Word document (but Submit has failed each time) I will send the files one at a time amd hope that helps

Thanks for your interest

EDIT addition
I have tried to convert the Word with embedded screen shots into a PDF and will now re-send with that hopefully attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
89 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
182 time(s)
 Filename
Doc import fail.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
470 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
156 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2018 12:42

Jimp77
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
What I see from your DxDiag:

1. The notebook has an internal HDD with 250GB, ~70GB free.

2. The notebook has an external HDD with 1TB, ~130GB free.

3. The notebook has a dual core processor (4 threads) with 1.8 GHz

I think, that is to low for 4K video editing. The error message is irritating, because PD 15 is fully compatible to that file format.
But I think, the missing ressources are the problem for bigger files.
What could you do?
I don't know, just ideas:

1. don't use big files.

2. Switch from 100MB/s to 60MB/s, the files will become smaller.

3. Don't use 4K, but FullHD instead. The files will be much smaller.

4. Use a bigger external HDD and make sure that it is connected to USB 3.0

Sorry, I have no further suggestions.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
Jimp77
[Post New]
Quote What I see from your DxDiag:

1. The notebook has an internal HDD with 250GB, ~70GB free.

2. The notebook has an external HDD with 1TB, ~130GB free.

3. The notebook has a dual core processor (4 threads) with 1.8 GHz

I think, that is to low for 4K video editing. The error message is irritating, because PD 15 is fully compatible to that file format.
But I think, the missing ressources are the problem for bigger files.
What could you do?
I don't know, just ideas:

1. don't use big files.

2. Switch from 100MB/s to 60MB/s, the files will become smaller.

3. Don't use 4K, but FullHD instead. The files will be much smaller.

4. Use a bigger external HDD and make sure that it is connected to USB 3.0

Sorry, I have no further suggestions.

Hatti

Thanks Hatti and all who commented.

I have found out at one level why the import of clips into Power Director 15 did not work.

In my earlier post I said that I had a version of PD14 on the PC. After failing all attempts to load into PD15 one possibility occurred -- that on the one occasion out of many when I managed to load clips I might have inadvertantly opened PD14 from the so-called ''Ultimate Suite''.

I had of course been assuming that it would be better to use the later PD15 which I assumed would be an upgrade - as so frequently marketed by the numerous Cyberlink ads and pop-ups.

The fact is that my copy of PD15 just does not work in that there is no way I can load clips.
It appears to be nothing to do with the lack of power or disk space.

Testing the possibility that I might have on one occasion opened PD14, I switched to that and within 20 minutes had loaded (in groups, working slowly to monitor & note any problems) about 400 short clips obtained from visits to each of the Channel Islnds.

Very frustrating as you wrote Hatti - for you and all who advised me and also for me because of the lost 10 hours plus and because I have a registered copy of PD15 which does not seem to work.

As Hatti and others have confirmed that they are using it without problem, I have to assume that either I just have a rogue copy - or (as guessed by ynotfish (thanks for the idea wink) I have been sent a trial version of PD15.

Is there a standard route by which such issues should be progressed. I had already called the distribution centre for the software and been sent (another) and apparently identical back-up disk of PD15 DeLuxe and the other software

Thanks again to all who read and commented - a community forum of this kind is incredibly helpful to all, perhaps especilly to newcomers like me and I apprecite the time spent and ideas given.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2018 23:09

Jimp77
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a standard route by which such issues should be progressed. I had already called the distribution centre for the software and been sent (another) and apparently identical back-up disk of PD15 DeLuxe and the other software

Please read this sticky and supply a screenshot of the popup window showing the version of PowerDirector: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page#post_box_263481 .

PD15 Deluxe does not support 4k videos and some of the other video formats.
Jimp77
[Post New]
Quote Is there a standard route by which such issues should be progressed. I had already called the distribution centre for the software and been sent (another) and apparently identical back-up disk of PD15 DeLuxe and the other software

Please read this sticky and supply a screenshot of the popup window showing the version of PowerDirector: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page#post_box_263481 .

Hello Tomasc
Here is a document I attached to my earlier posting. I hope it helps. Sorry if the posting here shows some frustration - it is not of course directed at you. I am grateful for your interest.

Some questions are floating in my head - - -

How can it be that a later verson (PD15) does not support functionality that is present in an earlier version PD14?

And would you agree that if that is the case, it should be made clear? Do you mean that PD14 DOES support 4k?

Is it correct that the ''DeLuxe'', ''Ultra'' or ''Ultimate designations which go with the release number (such as 14 or 15) have some relevance to major aspects of the functionality contained? and if so, why is that not made clear - so much effort goes by Cyberlink into marketing the product and deluging the market place in pop-ups and ads. selling upgrades, but if I were a non-exec director of Cyberlink I would be putting more thought into how to be more informative about the product releases.

When software is applied many ''features'' are used in the same session. In such cases what is a user to make of a message ''The feature you are using is not supported'' - in many or most cases it would be possible to state which feature is at fault (not supported) or to give a short list of possibilities, don't you think?

I am trying to be helpful here, not (just) critical of cyberlink.

For newcomers especially it would be best to advance a good product to a good experience by removing un-necessary road-blocks from the learning curve.

Thank heaven for an active and supportive community - but Cyberlink should not be content to eave all the heavy lifting to them.

Best wishes
 Filename
Doc import fail.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
470 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
177 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2018 15:37

Jimp77
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Hello Tomasc
Here is a document I attached to my earlier posting. I hope it helps. Sorry if the posting here shows some frustration - it is not of course directed at you. I am grateful for your interest.

Some questions are floating in my head - - -

How can it be that a later verson (PD15) does not support functionality that is present in an earlier version PD14?

And would you agree that if that is the case, it should be made clear? Do you mean that PD14 DOES support 4k?

Is it correct that the ''DeLuxe'', ''Ultra'' or ''Ultimate designations which go with the release number (such as 14 or 15) have some relevance to major aspects of the functionality contained? and if so, why is that not made clear - so much effort goes by Cyberlink into marketing the product and deluging the market place in pop-ups and ads. selling upgrades, but if I were a non-exec director of Cyberlink I would be putting more thought into how to be more informative about the product releases.

When software is applied many ''features'' are used in the same session. In such cases what is a user to make of a message ''The feature you are using is not supported'' - in many or most cases it would be possible to state which feature is at fault (not supported) or to give a short list of possibilities, don't you think?

I am trying to be helpful here, not (just) critical of cyberlink.

For newcomers especially it would be best to advance a good product to a good experience by removing un-necessary road-blocks from the learning curve.

Thank heaven for an active and supportive community - but Cyberlink should not be content to eave all the heavy lifting to them.

Best wishes

Hi

You may find it useful to have a look here. https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19354

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2018 17:00

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,