Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Centered title text moves when editing
Seodoa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 08, 2016 01:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
When editing videos, I find it easiest to copy-paste titles and just change the text. My titles are perfectly centered in the frame and set to center justification, but when I click the title and select all the text to retype it, the title gets moved a little bit to the right each time! Watch the video below to see what I mean, you can see that the center of the title box jumps to the right. Which means I have to recenter it each time, adding extra steps.

Is this normal behavior? And if so, why is this normal behavior?

Is there any way around this?
 Filename
Capture_3.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Jumping Titles!
 Filesize
9132 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
224 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2017 22:44

[Post New]
Hi,

i've tried on my PC and it does exactly the same each time you want to modify the text.

the strange thing is if you click on a button (eg. Bolt button) and then click undo button, your tittle won't move to the right if you edit it.

so if the first thing you do is to modify your text it move, but if it's the second thing then it stay at the right place.

it's clearly a bug.
Seodoa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

i've tried on my PC and it does exactly the same each time you want to modify the text.

the strange thing is if you click on a button (eg. Bolt button) and then click undo button, your tittle won't move to the right if you edit it.

so if the first thing you do is to modify your text it move, but if it's the second thing then it stay at the right place.

it's clearly a bug.

Well, I suppose it's comforting to know that it's not just me. I hope it's something that gets patched in a future update.

Although with the bewildering way CyberLink handles version updates, they'll probably not offer it for my edition of the software...
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi seodoa & BVR -

For a moment there, I thought we had a return to a "bug" that plagued PDR10 & PDR11... but this is not the same thing.

To me, this is normal behaviour for a centred title. It's because Title Designer is wanting to centre the text on the screen & within the text box... but the text is being changed.

Try this:

1. Create a centred title with the text "This dance is thought to represent Susano'o" (as you showed in your capture)

2. In the main timeline copy the title & paste it further along

3. Go to modify the pasted title in Title Designer

4. Select the text (as you showed in your capture)

5. Type the exact same text as before "This dance is thought to represent Susano'o"

6. The title returns to its central position

A similar thing happens if the text is left justified.

I'm happy to be shown that this is not normal behaviour.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Seodoa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi seodoa & BVR -

For a moment there, I thought we had a return to a "bug" that plagued PDR10 & PDR11... but this is not the same thing.

To me, this is normal behaviour for a centred title. It's because Title Designer is wanting to centre the text on the screen & within the text box... but the text is being changed.

Try this:

1. Create a centred title with the text "This dance is thought to represent Susano'o" (as you showed in your capture)

2. In the main timeline copy the title & paste it further along

3. Go to modify the pasted title in Title Designer

4. Select the text (as you showed in your capture)

5. Type the exact same text as before "This dance is thought to represent Susano'o"

6. The title returns to its central position

A similar thing happens if the text is left justified.

I'm happy to be shown that this is not normal behaviour.

Cheers - Tony

Tony, thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, even when I try your method, I'm still getting this weird behavior.

I don't see why the amount of text should change where the center of the text box is. The location of the center of a center-aligned text box does not change based on the amount of text in the box! That's the entire point of center alignment. Based on the behavior seen, it seems like a bug to me.

If you watch the first of the two videos I've attached, typing the same text as before does not cause the title to move back into the center of the frame, it stays shifted to the right.

But if you watch the second video, you can see that if I type some text into the box, then hit undo, then type again, it remains center justified. This inconsistency is what makes it seem like a bug to me.
 Filename
Example1.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Testing with the exact same text
 Filesize
42741 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
148 time(s)
 Filename
Example2.mp4
[Disk]