Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing FRAPS into PD14 errors
Terminal [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2015 22:38 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
PD14 won't import fraps files correctly. This new thread is a continuation of this one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21094.page;jsessionid=C73785B0A8987951F23CFAFEDE01F435 .

I've tried installing the K-Lite mega pack and the DIVX 64bit for Windows 10 and PD14 won't work with FRAP files without erroring. I want to use the source files directly because it's the highest quality possible instead of converting the Fraps file with another third party application in to a lower grade mp4 - the conversion before hand is the only way I can make it work.

If the new capture app in PD worked @ 60 instead of 30, I could use that new tool to record new high quality captures. Fraps is the only program that records at the highest quality possible I've found and @ 60fps.

Any ideas on how to to fix this?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2016 11:16

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PD14 won't import fraps files correctly. This new thread is a continuation of this one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21094.page;jsessionid=C73785B0A8987951F23CFAFEDE01F435 .

I've tried installing the K-Lite mega pack and the DIVX 64bit for Windows 10 and PD14 won't work with FRAP files without erroring. I want to use the source files directly because it's the highest quality possible instead of converting the Fraps file with another third party application in to a lower grade mp4 - the conversion before hand is the only way I can make it work.

If the new capture app in PD worked @ 60 instead of 30, I could use that new tool to record new high quality captures. Fraps is the only program that records at the highest quality possible I've found and @ 60fps.

Any ideas on how to to fix this?
There have been many reports of problems between FRAPS and Powerdirector. The problems are nearly always the settings in FRAPS. Sound setting to two channels is best. Do not use a proprietary FRAPS codec. Use a common format. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Terminal -

I may be using an outdated version of FRAPS, but here there's no option to switch recording codecs. The FRAPS FPS1 codec is installed with FRAPS and that's what it uses.

After recording, the original FRAPS file is imported into PDR14 with no error - whatever frame rate is used for recording.

I have the K-Lite codec pack installed, but I think it's irrelevant in this case.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I don't know of anyway to avoid using Frap's native codec. There seems to be a lot of issues with Windows 10, though:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44642.page

It's been a nightmare so far. Sigh. I might just wipe this crap and go back to Win7. I only upgraded for DX12 and that is it and so far that isn't worth all the hassles this new OS has brought with.

I really like Powerdirector, but there are a lot of bugs that I hope gets fixed instead of being pushed off on to the next version for an extorted upgrade fee to solve these issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2016 02:23

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alright, here is a video about PD14 and Fraps AVI errors:

I've tried pretty much every codec combination possible to no avail. The video is not meant to be pretty or win any academy awards, just functional.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2016 03:54

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Terminal -

Your screen capture shows the issue you're having clearly. That was good thinking removing the audio track, even though PDR14 didn't want to cooperate.

Here's what I've found thus far - on a Win10 laptop with no extra codec packs installed:

1. Using FRAPS with Win10 here is completely flaky. FRAPS stops working about 25% of the time. That is not the case on Win7 PCs. A few times, I'd open FRAPS & Windows would immediately run into an error & restart itself.

2. The screen captures I made, using a variety of frame rate & audio settings ALL played back in PDR14 on Win10 without any alerts or problems.

3. Other FRAPS captures made on a Win7 PC ALL played back without issue.

Test captures used above were 30/60fps, stereo/multi-channel, some included external mic input, VBR varied from 90-247Mbps.

Note: FRAPS has not been updated for almost 2 years! (Feb 2013), so you'd probably expect it not to run perfectly with Win10.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2016 14:59

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, Ynotfish. I find it strange that all of the other players, editors and converters I've tried are able to read Fraps AVI just fine without error on Windows 10.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Agreed -

It's as confusing as Josh's issue with AVI files from his camera - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47102.page - inconsistent findings don't usually lead to a clear answer.

Cheers - Tony
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey, Ynotfish. Thanks for trying. I guess this place isn't for me.

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
As much as I like the simplicity of the PD14 GUI and want to keep the software to use, I'm on the verge of asking for a refund.

Cyberlink protocol or not, official tech support should provide answers in these forums to help people. I purchased the Director 4 suite and would like to know if an update to the crashing issue is going to be resolved in a patch or do if they even care at all. I also would like to know if it will be possible to fix not only FRAPS AVI video issues, but other AVI issues as well that seem to make the program crash. These crashes aren't even related to FRAPS. I can use other brand editors, players and converters without any crashing what so ever.

It would be nice to know from a developer's view about the exact hardware configuration, drivers and additional codecs that are used on his/her system for a flawless experience.

Hey, if Powerdirector can't handle AVI, just let us know.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Terminal ,
Cant handle avi's question. If you gave us
1. the MediaInfo on the avi you're trying to import and
2. the capability of your computer in the form of a diagnostic and
3. A screenshot of your Edit workspace with your project insitu,
we might be able to assist you. Without those simple three bits, we're just guessing and offering an opinion.
See guides for info: Part A, B, E, F and J. Link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page

My opinion is: You have selected far too high a bitrate, maxed on everything you can in Fraps with the idea you'd get the best screen capture video without really understanding the limitations of your computer's capability. We have (forum members) seen similar "fraps/PDR" issues previously and nearly every time it has been caused by the user's initial Fraps selections.

PowerDirector can handle avi's, can the Fraps user capture video properly by making sensible selections?

Now I'm prepared for "my opinion" to be wrong. Please provide the requested info and maybe we can help.
Dafydd
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 for about a couple of days now for the sake of trying to make PC14 work right, the rest of everything else was fine before. As it sits right now. I have stock codecs that are supplied with Windows 10 and stock Nvidia drivers that came with the OS. Stock Director 4 Suite with its installed Quicktime package, too.

I no longer have Mediainfo installed. I believe it came with a mega bundle codec pack that was suggested on this forum. Now would be a good time to suggest the exact codec package that runs the best for PD14 and Fraps AVI files. As it sits, PD14 can't even attempt to run Fraps AVI without any installed codecs at all.

It seems PD14 runs the best STOCK and that the 2302 patch causes a lot crashing problems.

My PC is up for the task. I can play and record games at a very high bitrate with Fraps on SSDs without in any FPS drops, pure 60 FPS. The video quality of Fraps is superb. Like I said before, other editors have no issues processing the Fraps AVI files. Besides there isn't a bitrate to configure, it's all or nothing in Fraps.

The video shows the project. I can upload dxdiag if that that'll help.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Terminal,
You are not assisting in locating the cause of your problem. Without the precise info requested there is zip that can be done for you.

I run 7.62 of MediaInfo and don't have any issues. Mediainfo provides the details we need.

My opinion is the same, in brief, you have caused the problem with your fraps selections. The MediaInfo will reveal what those are!

Kindly provide the information requested in my previous response if you would like the issue resolved (hopefully).

Dafydd
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the image - please provide the data as a text file as per Part J guide.

I look forward to seeing all the information requested.

Dafydd
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dxdiag attached. Remember, this is fresh win10 64bit install with few apps installed and no additional 3rd party codecs have been installed so far.
 Filename
Terminal-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fraps AVI export from Mediainfo. Is there anything else in Mediainfo besides export that you need?

PART J

FULL Media Properties.
Download and install one of the free programs. Use either to
extract data and provide it to members as a text file attachment. Select
"Post Reply", then the "Attachment" button and Place the local
addressed file/Browse for the file on your computer.

1. MediaInfo (easy to use) free program. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Watch out for any unwanted add ons and avoid them. Mediainfo will
allow you to display information in text form simply by drag and
dropping the media (video/audio) file into the user interface.
2. G Spot (an alternative) free program http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
Not a program I use but does give the same type of information as MediaInfo.

P.S. Thanks for checking this out.
 Filename
FrapsAVI export.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
316 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2016 09:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Terminal,
Thank you for the attachments.
If you can provide a 5 second sample capture off fraps and attach that or make it available to download off a file sharing site - that would be helpful. Unedited and such. Members can then test.

The bitrate in your present video appears excessive as does the audio bitrate. I have seen that there is an option for a max 4GB file size in fraps - use it.
Video:
File size : 8.35 GiB
Data: Duration : 2mn 2s
Bit rate : 584 Mbps
Audio:
Duration : 2mn 2s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 22.4 MiB (0%)

Bear in mind that 1080p video cameras work on a heck of a lot less.
Basically if the registered version of Fraps allows you to lower the video and audio bit rate then do so and test capture to see what you can import.

For example: A high spec Canon captures mov 1080p at a 43+mbps

I also suggest you ask other Fraps users what selections they make and even contact the Fraps techs. http://www.fraps.com/members.php

I don't see the issue as being with PowerDirector, more to do with Fraps useage and selection.

In the video capture software I use I have 12 different compression codecs available just for the avi carrier and about 140 audio options. I prefer to use a different extension than avi. Not one of the audio options offered 1536kbps.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2016 12:04

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I do have some greats news. I'm rather surprised and apologetic at the same time. It seems like the fresh re-install of Windows 10 64bit which supplied the stock Nvidia driver, using stock PD14, the install of Fraps with no other codecs installed now appears to work in the preview and will now produce a HEVC MP4 file from an original high bitrate Fraps AVI source.

Futher testing will need to be done still at this stage because I've only just begun to examine the functionality of it, but it's a great sign.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh install of Windows 10 64 bit with only updates KB3124263 and KB3133431 installed

Nvidia driver 358.91

Powerdirector 14 v2019

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to have made this an issue, but happy at the same time because I know it will work, at least at a stock level. The next phase is to find out which update or codec was used that caused the failure of Powerdirector.

Stay tuned!
Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, hi, the other files are much bigger than that tiny 8gb file. That was just a sample for the export

I will be doing more extensive testings now that I've gotten to a point where it will function. I do appreciate your time and may need your assistance again when I find the culprit causing the problem.

"Camera uses a heck of lot less bitrate." I know. The thing is, I only want to process the clips once and not multiple times degrading the quality. I'm looking for the highest fidelity I can get out of these productions. I am noob at video editing to be honest and am still learning about it, but I know when something looks great and when it doesn't!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2016 12:18