Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio not working for AVI files in PowerDirector 14 Ultra
Josh330 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2016 17:17 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
AVI files were not working on PD 14 so I installed codecs via the link at *FIX* for AVI clip error messages with Win10. Everything worked perfectly. Now the audio on AVI files is not working. The first 2 seconds of an AVI clip has no sound, but the video works. It is now impossible to do true editing when you need to have no sound for 2 seconds. AVI files work perfectly outside of PD 14. Any ideas? Very frustrating.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please provide the MediaInfo on the avi, see guide Part J.

What is the source/media software used to generate the avi?
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Text MediaInfo attached for a sample video with the problem.

Source is a Nikon Coolpix S31 camera. ACDSee 18 is used to download the videos from the camera to the computer. Video sample plays fine in ACDSee 18.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
 Filename
Video Sample.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
228 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Josh330,
Thank you for the attached MediaInfo.
Is it just for one video clip or all video clips?
1. Please can you provide a 5 second long sample clip which has audio from the start. The file must be one you've recorded from the camera and not edited in any way. Please upload the attachment.
2. Please provide a screenshot of the Edit workspace. I want to view what you're looking at when you're editing your project (so it must be insitu). Part E & F.
3. Please can you provide a diagnostic of your computer, Part B in the guide.
I'm wondering if you have shadow files in play and they're not picking up the first couple of seconds. The sample can be used by members to test and check to see if they can replicate your issue. The mjpeg/codec video format has been around for years and the sample you have will allow us to check etc
Dafydd
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd.

This is for all AVI files.

Attached is a sample 5-second long clip that has not been edited in any way.

Attached is a video capture. You will notice that the second clip (the separate one I have attached) does not have audio starting right away, but there is a delay of a couple of seconds. You will notice that the first clip is fine regarding the audio. The problem is that for all AVI files, except the first one in editing mode, the audio is delayed for around 2 seconds. When you only watch the clip the audio is fine, however, when you produce the movie the delay exists.

Attached is the diagnostic. However, in your guide it says: "4. If you know you have 64bit Windows, also select the <Run 64BIT DXDIAG> button and save a SECOND file as ****64DxDiag.txt, (again replacing the **** with your name)." I could not do that since I did not see any button. I am happy do to do that if still necessary and if I can get more direction.

Thanks for your help.

-Josh
 Filename
Josh_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Computer diagnostic file
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)
 Filename
DEL-2016-01-16-09.AVI
[Disk]
 Description
This is the 5-second film clip from the Niko Coolpix S31
 Filesize
23778 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
 Filename
Capture.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Attached is a video capture
 Filesize
14901 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for supplying the relevant information. Within 1 sec. the word “my name” is already spoken on my timeline. Your screen capture show that you are using shadow files and they are still generating. This uses up some of your laptop resources. Simply allow a few minutes for those gold icons to become green on the clips in the media library before editing should be sufficient.

Your laptop may be sufficient to work with those 720/60i clips and do not need those shadow files. You can also disable the shadow files in preferences and try again.

Let us know if allowing shadows files to complete before editing or disabling shadow files improve the situation.
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. I am waiting forever for the gold icons to become green. It's been a long time and they are still gold. How long is it suppose to take?

Also, doesn't disabling shadow files make CyberLink process editing slower?

Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, it's been over 20 minutes and the icons are still gold. What does that mean? Thanks.
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also, disabling shadow files does not fix the problem. So the AVI files are not being created into shadow files and disabling shadow files doesn't fix the problem.

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
There appears to be a bug then in PD14 that when used with win 10 in which you have found that the shadow files never generate. It should take no more than a minute to create a shadow file for a 6 sec. clip. There is a different fix or workaround for that.

See this link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page . It explains how to produce your own low definition files to be used in place of the original high definition files by substitution. 4k material to 1280x720 to ease the load on the pc. Your avi clips are relatively uncompressed 1280x720 already and need to produce 720x480/60i mpeg-2 files for the substitution using something like Format Factory.

An alternative is in this link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page .

The bug that you have found where shadow files do not generate with those particular type of avi files in a windows 10 PD14 enviroment needs to be reported to Cyberlink support so that a possible patch or fix can be made. Others users using win 10 may be able to confirm this. I have win 7 and shadow files generation did not complete on your 6 sec. avi file after 10 minutes. Still, the clip preview properly.
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I find this completely ridiculous. So PowerDirector does not work with AVI files. The claim that it supports AVI is false advertising.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Josh330,
W10 and the mjpg avi file = fails to generate a shadow file for me to.
Josh, can you
1. Use, Save project as and create a unique numbered 001.pds to a new location.
2. uncheck shadow file generation in Preferences/General
3. Manually Delete all temp files.
4. In Preferences/Confirmation uncheck the Always prompt me when I import high definition video into the library.
Now close PDR14 and then reopen PDR14 by double clicking on the 001.pds you saved previously.
See what happens.

I have reported your issue to CyberLink.

When I watched your Capture video it looked to me as though your computer stuttered/skipped at the start of the second clip. This is likely to be a shadow file issue but could be related to a fault in your gpu. Your driver can be updated to 3.59.

There is a clutch of beta releases lately and one of them states

Enhances the compatibility of AVI video in Windows 10.

Enhances the program performance when generating shadow files.

The latest beta will cover all the previously posted fixes if you wish to try that out. I have not used any of the beta patches. There are links to all the previous beta patches for you to check out. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47121.page
Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 19. 2016 05:19

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried two earlier versions of PD and still unable to generate shadow files for the 6 sec. avi clip. The shadow files do generate on a different avi clip that is compressed with h.264. AVI is a container for video. Remember that the MJPG codec is an early one made to allow video to be displayed on older pc’s. See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_JPEG . It looks to me that shadow files should not be necessary at all since it was developed for say old weak pc’s 15 years ago and devices then.

There is no need to research motion jpeg further. Dafydd has covered the situation well. There are beta patches available that covers the avi issue with win 10.

The i7-5500U cpu in your laptop should handle that particular clip with ease. Try this: Go to Preferences/Hardware acceleration and make sure both checkboxes including Enable hardware encoding are unchecked and report back if the issue still exist on that clip.
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,
That four step process didn't work. When you say Temp files do you mean the temp folder in the Windows folder?

My computer is less than a year old and have never had a problem with it. When you say your driver, which driver do you mean?

What are these beta patches? If they are issued by CyberLink then why I am installing them "at my own risk". What could happen?

If I want to do the beta patches do I need to install all of them or just the last one?

Tomasc,
Your solution to disable those features does not work.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Josh330,
See Preferences/General
3. Manually Delete all temp files. There is a icon/button "Manually Delete".
Beta patches, the purpose of a beta patch is for it to be "tested" on different systems. If your computer/PDR messes up, then the "test" means the beta may need correcting for example.
Driver, for your graphic's card.
Installing the latest patch is sufficient whether it is a beta or a full release one.

CyberLink are investigating your issue and have been given the details you have posted in the thread.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2016 04:54

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Just chiming in to say that shadow files won't generate from Josh's clip in PDR14, 13 or 12 on Win7 PCs either. PC1 running 2302, PC2 running beta patch 2506.

BUT - as tomasc reported - the audio is present. It starts with a small click/scratch at 00:00:00:00 (similar to the sounds at the end of the clip with/after the word "yours"). The voice begins at 00:00:00:21.

Re: GPU driver. I understand the GeForce 845M card is OEM (DELL) - that's why it's not listed on the NVIDIA site.

So, whilst the shadow file issue may not be specific to Win10 [the lack of audio may be] delete.

Oh - just read that tomasc had already reported no shadow files with Win7. Oh well.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2016 13:46

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
embarassed Ooops! I should have watched Josh's screen capture. The audio does play back in PDR14 on a Win10 PC - there's just a little hiccup/pause.

Josh - have you tried lowering your preview resolution to see whether the audio plays back smoothly?

Cheers - Tony
Josh330 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,
Now I understand how to manually delete the temp files, but the process you listed didn't work.

ynotfish,
Lowering the preview resolution didn't work.

Again, the audio is only fine when the clip is the first clip in the movie order. Any other place and the first couple of seconds is missing.

Any other ideas?

Is someone from CyberLink going to reach out to me? I contacted technical assistance and they responded once and then stopped. Maybe give me some type of remuneration or something? I bought this product because it said it works with AVI files and it doesn't work at all with AVI files. This is very disappointing. What am I suppose to do?

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Josh -

Here, on both Win7 PCs, the placement/order of clips on the timeline makes no difference. The audio from your clip plays just as it does in any media player I've tested. When you play that clip in ACDSee, what do you hear during the first 20 frames???

For one test I also included another sample clip from the Coolpix S31, **downloaded from here**

Here's what happens...

My laptop is currently having Win 10 installed, so I'll repeat the tests on it once that's complete.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
... and here's what happens on my (now) Win10 laptop:

Cheers - Tony